Author Topic: Lou Reed and Metallica recording new album?!  (Read 7249 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Lou Reed and Metallica recording new album?!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:54:34 am »
I like VU but I can't stand Nico.
Well lucky for you she only sang lead on a whopping total of 3 Velvet Underground songs.

VU was completely epic in my mind.  Nobody before or since sounded anything like them.  Each of their proper albums is completely unique from the others, while still maintaining a consistent signature.  They are one of the few bands that absolutely BLEW my mind the first time I heard them.  I was 14 or 15, had never heard their name, had no preconceived notions that I was "supposed" to like them.  In fact, I was half drunk and falling asleep.  My friend was like "dude you gotta hear this band".  He was playing Black Angel's Death Song.  I was floored.  I've listened to them consistently ever since.  A long time.

Lou's solo output has been varied.  But it contains some of my all time faves.  And he had a 3 record run in the late 80's/early 90's that for me puts the exclamation point on his entire career. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:06:47 am by chaz »

James Ford

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:27 am »
I would disagree and say that they should have as many fans as they do.

They started off as a band playing more indie (not that the word existed in the early 80s) sounding music, establishing some cred early on. Then expanded to big rock anthems, thus capturing the classic rock crowd. Then went pop, bringing the top 40 type music fan into their fold.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they have as many fans as they do?

And of course Metallica is always going to have tons of fans as long as their are pimply faced males in the world.

I'd second this.  Most people I know that LOVE U2 only think they're music geeks.  But I guess I can see RB's point...no way U2 should have as many fans as they have.  Metallica, too, especially with their post Black Album output.  Still, I'd turn the volume all the way up on Master of Puppets any day of the week...

While U2 and Metallica are beloved by millions, they're not held in particularly high regard by music geeks. Hence, they really can't be overrated.

nkotb

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:10 am »
Cuz I don't really like them.

Why wouldn't they have as many fans as they do?

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 10:19:50 am »
I'd second this.  Most people I know that LOVE U2 only think they're music geeks.  But I guess I can see RB's point...no way U2 should have as many fans as they have.  Metallica, too, especially with their post Black Album output.  Still, I'd turn the volume all the way up on Master of Puppets any day of the week...

While U2 and Metallica are beloved by millions, they're not held in particularly high regard by music geeks. Hence, they really can't be overrated.

I guess I don't get this line of thinking. To me, U2 isn't some hyped buzzband that no one has ever heard, they've had legitimately mega-popular albums that spawned tons of hit singles over several decades and they continue to sell out 50k-100k stadiums. To me that says they're as popular as they should be.

And while I've been one and may still be to an extent, who gives a shit about music geeks? Music geeks inherently shun most music that is mainstream so it's hard to put a lot of credibility into their opinion about which music is valid and which isn't. So when I read something along the lines of "People that like U2 don't really like music" I think it's pretty douchey. I'll scoff and smirk when I look at my wife's collection of Dave Matthews, Counting Crows and (sigh...) Ani Distanko CDs but does that make her any less of a fan than me, with my Tyler, Psychedelic Horseshit and Blanck Mass mp3s?

I'm guilty of it to an extent. I remember seeing the Killers as the 3rd band on a Black Cat bill and thinking, wow that was great! But a year later when Mr Brightside was blaring from every bro's jeep, I was like "pbbb, these guys suck now."

oword

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:54 am »
That's what I was kind of trying to get at, but not very well.  I'd almost rather hang out with a U2 fan and talk music than I would a music geek in most cases.  My taste run pretty wide when it comes to bands, but I still wouldn't want to listen to some numbnuts name drop bands all day long to look impressive.  My comment about "U2 only think they're music geeks" was more of a compliment, meaning they're not needlessly trying to like things to be hip.  If anything, it was more of a compliment, although I guess it didn't seem that way.

Also, based on your wife's musical preferences, we might be married to the same person. I'm honored to follow you up, good sir.

And while I've been one and may still be to an extent, who gives a shit about music geeks? Music geeks inherently shun most music that is mainstream so it's hard to put a lot of credibility into their opinion about which music is valid and which isn't. So when I read something along the lines of "People that like U2 don't really like music" I think it's pretty douchey. I'll scoff and smirk when I look at my wife's collection of Dave Matthews, Counting Crows and (sigh...) Ani Distanko CDs but does that make her any less of a fan than me, with my Tyler, Psychedelic Horseshit and Blanck Mass mp3s?

I'm guilty of it to an extent. I remember seeing the Killers as the 3rd band on a Black Cat bill and thinking, wow that was great! But a year later when Mr Brightside was blaring from every bro's jeep, I was like "pbbb, these guys suck now."

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 10:39:40 am »
And let's face it. The average woman who has Dave Matthews in her collection is probably way hotter than all three of the women who listen to Psychedelic Horseshit.

nkotb

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:27 am »
Agreed.  Or at least I would if I knew any women that listened to them.  Or any women.

And let's face it. The average woman who has Dave Matthews in her collection is probably way hotter than all three of the women who listen to Psychedelic Horseshit.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 11:30:00 am »
I like VU but I can't stand Nico.
Well lucky for you she only sang lead on a whopping total of 3 Velvet Underground songs.

And all three of them would have been classics but she ruined them.  And for that she got her name on the album?

Relaxer

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:39:22 am »
I don't know, I kinda think that Nico's weirdly icy voice is pretty appropriate for the songs she's on. It wouldn't make sense to have her intoning on Heroin or Waiting for the Man but I really love her voice on Tomorrow's Parties and Femme Fatale.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:17 am »
It's kind of like Donna on the 70s Dead shows. She's such a contrast to the vibe of the band and yet I can't imagine Music Never Stopped, Playing in the Band or Samson without her caterwauling over them.
oword

chaz

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:23 am »
I don't know, I kinda think that Nico's weirdly icy voice is pretty appropriate for the songs she's on. It wouldn't make sense to have her intoning on Heroin or Waiting for the Man but I really love her voice on Tomorrow's Parties and Femme Fatale.
Agree

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:30 am »

SHE'LL TURN ONCE MORE TO SUNDAY'S CLOWN
oword

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:40 am »

Women go to see Dave Matthews gigs for the music.....men go to Dave Matthews gigs to see women who go to see Dave Matthews gigs.

BookerT

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 12:04:57 pm »

SHE'LL TURN ONCE MORE TO SUNDAY'S CLOWN

i like how nico says "clown" as "klon" - i picture lou and the rest of the band suppressing laughter when she's singing it and she's like "vott are you loffing ottt?" and they giggle and "nothing, nico!" and then lou quickly rewrites some lyrics to make sure "clown" is in another song she sings.

chaz

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 02:40:48 pm »
Kinda like that Peter Sarsgaard pirate skit on SNL.  Saaaarsgaaaard.