Author Topic: For all you gear nerds...Capital Audiofest this weekend!  (Read 3388 times)

aglanixp

Sir HC

Re: For all you gear nerds...Capital Audiofest this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:05:30 am »
Thanks, looks interesting, especially the swapmeet.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:30:55 am »
The exhibitor list is not that compelling to me...but yeah the swapmeet is a great idea.  I've got nothing to swap, and will be outta town anyway.

Came across these yesterday.  Drooling.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/2476734132.html

aglanixp

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »
I am considering moving to a music server.  This would be a big move for me.  I have resisted because I have not been blown away by anything I have been able to listen to.

There are several setups that feature high end server/DAC systems that you could not demo anywhere else.

I am going to bring a few disc's with me and see who will let me play.

If nothing else, I will get to hear some of my favorite tracks on gear that I will never be able to afford.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:31 pm »
If nothing else, I will get to hear some of my favorite tracks on gear that I will never be able to afford.

and that's the main point of these things, no? ;D

i remember checking in to a high-end audio shop in NYC many years ago and an eager sales person plunked me on a couch in front of a $20,000+ setup and dropping in a psytrance CD i had with me.  it was phenomenal.  someday...
<sig>

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 02:24:23 pm »
I still want to get a pair of decently-high end component speakers. When I was in college, I had a couple friends get nice Cerwin Vegas and they still have them and say they get great use out of them. They also have houses now. Even though my home is a 750 sq/f 1BR, that is plenty enough space for me and my components. Biatches.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:43:54 pm »
I still want to get a pair of decently-high end component speakers. When I was in college, I had a couple friends get nice Cerwin Vegas and they still have them and say they get great use out of them. They also have houses now. Even though my home is a 750 sq/f 1BR, that is plenty enough space for me and my components. Biatches.
Cerwin Vega psshaww.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 02:58:57 pm »
There are several setups that feature high end server/DAC systems that you could not demo anywhere else.

if cost is a concern, you could put together a music server system yourself for a lot less than what a prefab box would cost you.  

if/when i get around to building myself a home entertainment server, i'll build myself a middle-of-the-road box with a quad core, a couple of high-end large capacity hard drives, a top-flight video card - and an external soundcard, like the Presonus Firebox (firewire, out of production but i already have one) or the Audiobox USB (link).  studio-quality external soundcards such as these will have high-quality DAC converters.  Focusrite and Apogee are two other brands to look out for.  these external boxes may be overkill since they allow both playback and recording, but i'm not aware of any studio-quality boxes that do playback only.  having the soundcard outside the computer maximizes your bang for the buck: the inside of a computer is a very noisy place, electronically speaking, and you need to put a lot of design into achieving high-end audio inside the case.  external boxes don't have to worry about that, they have their own shielding/isolation... plus they can be physically placed far away from the spinning hard drives, noisy busses, etc.
<sig>

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:22:32 pm »
Cerwin Vega psshaww.

Gotta start somewhere.

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 08:51:12 pm »
Went, was impressed with the Salk speakers, McIntosh were good too, and some German company with speakers that looked like they should be in Metropolis.  Missed the swap meet, but didn't bring anything anyways.