Author Topic: DC Parking Shenanigans  (Read 29642 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: DC Parking Shenanigans
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »
Guess they don't want our business then.

I always hear this "I guess they don't want our business" argument.   But in case anyone hasn't noticed, DC is booming, like almost no other city in the nation.   It's a pretty well established notion that people who bitch on the internet generally don't actually *do* anything -- and if one or two people stop coming to DC that's not going to have any impact.

The reason I have no sympathy for parking complainers is that I have a car in the city and I generally get one ticket every 5 years or so.   If you bother to follow the law, once in a long while you'll get unjustly ticketed (and it's easy enough to write a letter and get it dropped) -- but it's overwhelmingly the case that most tickets are earned.
Let me get this straight - are you defending this ridiculous policy...the one outlined in the beginning of this thread?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
Doomie's favorite flavor must be boot black because he often proves how much he just luuuvvves licking boots.  ::)

Must have been a hardcore Nazi in a past life. Totally fits the MO.

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:50 pm »
they need to put some white people in charge
 ;)
I am not complaining about receiving a ticket - just or unjust.  There was no law to follow in this case.  Unless the law is don't park in the city more than once every six months.  And a letter of appeal won't suffice.

I really shouldn't be as surprised as I am.  This is just typical laziness from the typically incompetent DC government.  Their employees don't want to have to do any actual work so they come up with the ridiculous criteria of "you have been spotted parked in the city more than once in a 180 day period" to shift the burden of proof (and the burden of doing all the legwork) onto somebody else.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 03:27:55 pm »
It's pretty much to make sure people who have moved into the city aren't skipping out on paying for a residential parking permit. 

When I first moved to DC it took forever to get a residential parking permit because to get it, you need your car registered in the district, which needs a dc driver's license, which needs proof of residency, which if one doesn't have a lease and you aren't on any of the utility bills, is a little tough.  For those two months I was at work in Maryland most of the day, and so could legally parking all night starting at 6:01pm.  Eventually they gave me a ticket for always being parked in the neighborhood but not having any DC plates or parking permit. 

I could see how frequenting the 9:30 club a lot (and hence having one's car in the area often at night) might make parking enforcement think you're a registration dodger.

This, pretty much.  (Although I think they care less about the $10/year residential parking permit and more about the $72/year registration.)

Relaxer

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »
Doomie's favorite flavor must be boot black because he often proves how much he just luuuvvves licking boots.  ::)

Wow you really are an asshole.
oword

Christine Moritz

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 03:54:45 pm »
If you bother to follow the law, once in a long while you'll get unjustly ticketed (and it's easy enough to write a letter and get it dropped) -- but it's overwhelmingly the case that most tickets are earned.

And this, pretty much.

I'm currently appealing a ticket that I got while parked on Georgia Avenue for a show at the 9:30 Club on a Thursday night... which turns out to be when there's street cleaning for Georgia Avenue.  However, when I went back to the "scene of the crime," it turns out that the parking-related signs closest to where I parked didn't include a sign about the street cleaning.

I think in 9 years in the city, I've received 4 or 5 parking tickets.  Two were unjustified; the others were cases where there was a sign and I didn't notice it.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 03:58:55 pm »
So if you enter DC more than once every six months you have to register it with them?

???

Yes.

And you must renew this privilege every six months.

-If you are a recurring visitor (frequent short term visits) report to a DMV service location and prove non-residency by presenting an original lease, deed or mortgage statement or a utility bill no more than 60-days old. The documents must be in the name of the registered owner of the vehicle. You must also provide a copy of your out-of-state license and vehicle registration. You will then be exempted for a 180-day period.

What happens after the 180-day exemption period?

If you receive another warning notice, you may repeat the exemption process above.

This does seem asinine.  They ought to let you fax them the documents, not require you to show up with them in person.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 04:12:24 pm »

seriously.  we were having a nice discussion here, and jagermeister shows up and start calling people nazis (thank you godwin).  apparently jag needs a few lessons in civility. 

oh, and:
...once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress.
(...)
It is generally perceived that falling foul of Godwin's law tends to end up causing the individual making the comparison to lose their argument and/or credibility...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:16:44 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 04:14:50 pm »
I just remembered I got a ticket for parking arse in (or was it nose in) down on the river in Georgetown. Eveidently you're only supposed to park **** in, whichever was the opposite of how I parked.

No biggie....but I was in G'town a lot so checked the signs out of interest and there was no notice to park in any particular way so so contested the ticket. I was told "you should've known" which is a typical DC government retarded attitude to take, so I told them they should know I'm not paying their fucking fine.

I never heard a peep from them over it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 04:18:19 pm »
so contested the ticket. I was told "you should've known" which is a typical DC government retarded attitude to take, so I told them they should know I'm not paying their fucking fine.

I never heard a peep from them over it.

now THAT is a court date i would have paid good money to be in the audience.  i'm sure it was awesome, from a third-party perspective ;D
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 04:52:51 pm »
Guess they don't want our business then.

I always hear this "I guess they don't want our business" argument.   But in case anyone hasn't noticed, DC is booming, like almost no other city in the nation.   It's a pretty well established notion that people who bitch on the internet generally don't actually *do* anything -- and if one or two people stop coming to DC that's not going to have any impact.

The reason I have no sympathy for parking complainers is that I have a car in the city and I generally get one ticket every 5 years or so.   If you bother to follow the law, once in a long while you'll get unjustly ticketed (and it's easy enough to write a letter and get it dropped) -- but it's overwhelmingly the case that most tickets are earned.

You do know without the federal government paying all that money to DC and the government jobs and governement contracts due to the out of control federal government spending DC would be a wasteland? 

ANd the reason you don't get tickets is that the DC parking enforcers are instructed to ticket VA and MD licenced vehicles and not DC and other states.

Relaxer

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »

ANd the reason you don't get tickets is that the DC parking enforcers are instructed to ticket VA and MD licenced vehicles and not DC and other states.

Can you please say more about this?
oword

Jaguar

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »

seriously.  we were having a nice discussion here, and jagermeister shows up and start calling people nazis (thank you godwin).  apparently jag needs a few lessons in civility. 

Leave it to the 3 Stooges to stick together when it comes to kissing ass and boot licking!

Btw, the animosity began when Doom went off spewing his typical contempt towards anyone outside of the District proper.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:59:28 pm by Jaguar »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 07:13:17 pm »
I actually got a wrongful ticket about 3 weeks ago.  But instead of bitching about it, and equating parking enforcement to Nazism, I sent a letter in, and got a card saying my case is being "adjudicated."   In a few weeks I expect to hear back that the ticket has been dropped.     On to the next white whine.

_\|/_

Jaguar

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »
^ Well, good for you! Seriously.

Unfortunately, it's not always that easy for many others. Obviously, there's a problem in the area that needs to be addressed so as not to unfairly suck money, time and stress out of lots of people, be they local or just across the beltway.

A good whine is therapeutic and helps to communicate the problem which may result in a solution. Sucking it up and letting them get away with it only allows them to take even more liberties with and from us.

A good wine can be good for the nerves and pleasant for the palate. Cheers!

Christine, several years ago, I got the very same ticket, probably in the same place. The damn sign was halfway down the street! Hope you win this one! Let us know.