Author Topic: Is It Time to say "Thank You and Good Night" to the Pro Forma Encore?  (Read 6021 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Is It Time to say "Thank You and Good Night" to the Pro Forma Encore?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »
99.9% are contrived.
I think I may have seen two or three uncontrived ones in my lifetime.
^ Agreed.

I'm with Atomicfront, I like encores though some are obviously contrived. It gives the band a chance to pee and freshen up for a last blowout.

Although, sometimes I have to laugh, or even feel a bit sad for the band, when they quickly turn around and come back to play their planned encore set for fear the crowd will leave without cheering them on for one.
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »
99.9% are contrived.
^ Agreed.

I'm with Atomicfront, I like encores though some are obviously contrived. It gives the band a chance to pee and freshen up for a last blowout.

Although, sometimes I have to laugh, or even feel a bit sad for the band, when they quickly turn around and come back to play their planned encore set for fear the crowd will leave without cheering them on for one.

the only way an encore can anything other than contrived is if the band sincerely had no intention of continuing and the audience demands it.   Otherwise it's just a dumb ritual, which kind of proves that most rock fans are idiots.

Once or twice over many years, I've seen some local band with a small repertoire finish their set, and people want them to keep playing, and they have to make something up and or play something they haven't really practiced, and it sounds like shit.   That's the only time it's actually something special.
_\|/_

atomicfront

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:03 pm »
Well Hope Sandavol didn't so an encore when I saw her.  Of course she also played in darkness and got mad at the guy adjusting her microphone and told him he ruined it now and walked off stage.  

Maybe she can not only start the no encore trend but also play in complete darkness trend.  

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »
99.9% are contrived.
^ Agreed.

the only way an encore can anything other than contrived is if the band sincerely had no intention of continuing and the audience demands it.   Otherwise it's just a dumb ritual, which kind of proves that most rock fans are idiots.

Once or twice over many years, I've seen some local band with a small repertoire finish their set, and people want them to keep playing, and they have to make something up and or play something they haven't really practiced, and it sounds like shit.   That's the only time it's actually something special.

Exactly.

The most memorable uncontrived one I saw (the only one I remember off hand, honestly) was the first night of Devo at the club last year. The crowd would not leave for a good 15 minutes and they came out in street clothes and did "Beautiful World." That was a lot of fun.
It was also after a BS contrived encore, though.

Swans treatment of the ritual last year was amusing. They came back, played a bunch of noise for less than a minute then Gira did a solo vocal rendition of "Little Mouth." Anyone ever see a band do a "encore" at Velvet? How could anybody deny the goofiness of that?
احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 06:21:39 pm »
you do know . . . that most bands don't care what people want.  they are the ones that have to suffer through the industry and put up with all the bullshit.  they care about what they want and what makes them happy.  if they want to do or not do an encore, they will or they won't because they want to.  the end.  

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »
if they want to do or not do an encore, they will or they won't because they want to.  the end.  

I doubt that that's true.  I think most bands probably regard it as bullshit they have to do because the fans expect it.   It's kind of like nobody wants to pay $50,000 for a wedding, but then they get sucked into all the rituals that everyone expects, and suddenly they've got a shitty DJ playing "Macarena" and a bouquet toss, just like everyone else.
_\|/_

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 07:12:08 pm »
Sure, the decision is ultimately that of the band but we have reached a point (and have been at that point for a while) where encores are the norm and bands feel pressured to do them or face ridiculous reactions from the crowd such as a chorus of boos.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »
It gives the band a chance to pee and freshen up for a last blowout.

no no no.  THIS IS ROCK AND ROLL, DAMMIT.  so you've been on stage for an hour or more, drinking beer, singing your heart out, jumping about, and you think you have the right to pee or sit down for 60 seconds?  DENIED, NOW GET BACK ON STAGE <crack of a whip>

you need to go to more shows.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »
^You know that the second part of that post is not true. ;)

RE: the pee break thing, you're totally reaching but get it done before going on.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »
^ ;D  ok, fine, i meant you need to go to *better* shows... <hides>

i love how motley crue and lil'wayne have conveniently become role models for folks 'round here.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »
he goes to a lot of shows and cancels a lot of them, too

^You know that the second part of that post is not true. ;)

(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 02:37:09 pm »

encores are for big rock shows not shows on someone's porch..

atomicfront

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 06:04:41 pm »
I think people against encores are the same people who are against the wave at baseball games.  Some people dont' like fun. 

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 06:16:59 pm »
I think people against encores are the same people who are against the wave at baseball games.  Some people dont' like fun. 

I'm pro-encores, anti-wave. The wave at ballgames is lame as shit.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:10 am »
Saw Guster last night at Summerstage. As theres a curfew there, they kindly said - 'we have no time for this encore BS - so we're running to the side stage for 3 secs and will  pretend that was our encore and keep on playing'. Worked out great - they ran off - ran right back on - crowd went crazy and they played a 3 song 'encore'.

Havent seen a band in a long while that has really great stage banter. I was pleasantly surprised.
HeyLa