Author Topic: Futbol/Soccer thoughts  (Read 38727 times)

vansmack

Re: Futbol/Soccer thoughts
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2014, 07:51:18 pm »
17 out of 23 called up have no World Cup experience...I think I read

Good.  If he's playing for the future....
27>34

hutch

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
Altidore makes the cut but not Donovan..come on now.

Altidore plays and trains every week against the pace the US is more likely to see in Brazil.

not buying it... the great players don't need that pace.. their experience and skill compensates as they age..

Riquelme at Boca Juniors is a great example... He's slow and old sure...but he can still make that key pass etc... (much as I hope Boca doesn't renew his contract...)

Look I'm not saying I would build my team around Donovan today...but not in the 23?.... I just don't see it...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:53:34 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:24 pm »
17 out of 23 called up have no World Cup experience...I think I read

Good.  If he's playing for the future....

Huh? The World Cup starts in a few weeks.. that is the future... you have to field the best team to do as well as possible NOW.... not in four years...

You obviously want a mix of experience and fresh blood....  this ain't it.....

I don't know I guess a majority of the starters will count with experience....still team seems thin on experience....

Playing in the World Cup is not the same as playing the Gold Cup...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:56:46 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2014, 08:53:13 pm »
You know I've just never seen Donovan play badly when it matters.. he's always stood out or made something happen... he's a rare player...and the only such player the United States has ever produced....

I will admit Bradley may be my favorite current US player....

hutch

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:02 pm »
Luis Suarez may be out of World Cup for Uruguay...some knee operation yesterday...he may still make it..

I hate to see a WC without people like Falcao and Suarez...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2014, 10:24:14 pm »
i enjoy threads, where two people talk sports.  brent musberger, is enthralled.

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 01:10:48 pm »
I know, get a f'n room already boys
slack

hutch

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »
i thought i was talking to myself

hutch

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »
vansmack knows his sports....

i'm the first to admit that but i guess i just have trouble with these decisions....donovan may be on his last legs but he still can make magic happen....and magic is in short supply on the US team.. some players are like that: they might be in poor form and suck for the club teams and then in the big stage they come alive... not every player can be measured in terms of "fitness" or a bunch of statistics....with some players good things just tend to happen...

my guess is klinsmann never intended to have him in the final 23.....from the minute donovan went on his sabbathical i think he has no chance of making the team

vansmack

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »
Robbie Keane:

"If I were in Landon Donovan's shoes, I'd be pissed off.  But I'll be totally honest, I don't care if you had Lionel Messi, that team is going to struggle with that group."
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
Soccer is terrible and I hope the US loses quickly so I have to hear as little about this as possible in the upcoming weeks. Hopefully we will de-fund the USMNT and trade the MLS to France for some nice matched luggage or something.

These constitute my Futbol/soccer Thoughts.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 12:00:37 am »
You know I've just never seen Donovan play badly when it matters.. he's always stood out or made something happen... he's a rare player...and the only such player the United States has ever produced....

I don't think it matters who the US national team has on its team.  Portugal and Germany seem like sure loses. 

godsshoeshine

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 08:07:41 am »
as if Eddie Johnson wasn't enough

I would have taken Goodson and Parkhurst ahead of Johnson.  I don't think that was a crazy move.

I believe in taking the people who get you there...I believe Eddie was the second highest goal scorer with like 5.

and Donovan off the team is crazy..

Klinsmann is nuts ...never liked the hiring in the first place.
wait, you want to take the people that got you there and the guy that took a sabbatical during qualifying?

zusi starts right, fabian johnson or bedoya starts left. plus you have green. may not even have a sub role for a 32 year old guy that doesn't get along with the manager
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 08:19:50 am »

I don't think it matters who the US national team has on its team.  Portugal and Germany seem like sure loses. 
us beat a superior Portugal side in 2002 and the last match might not matter to germany.
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 12:34:32 pm »
interesting documentary on ESPN about the US team....

I definitely hoping for the best even with the bad luck on the draw.....