Author Topic: SONOS  (Read 9526 times)

Yada

SONOS
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:37:32 am »
Does anyone use this at home?

If so, what are your thoughts/reviews of the product?

Specifically, is it good for implementing other components?

Thanks

brennser

Re: SONOS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:44 am »
have it - love it

am sure smackie can point out 567 reasons why its overpriced and soon to be obsolete  ;D

Yada

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:02:30 am »
have it - love it

am sure smackie can point out 567 reasons why its overpriced and soon to be obsolete  ;D

Do you have any components connected or do you only use it to stream digital tunes?

brennser

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:52 am »
hmm - I am REALLY bad at this stuff but I believe its connected to my amplifier, which can broadcast it to 2 different zones

so I can listen to music in the house or in the warmer months the kids can be watching a movie inside and I can be listening to tunes on our back porch

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:38:25 pm »
I've had Sonos for a few years, we have about 5 different zones in the house connected to it that can play music from the computer or stream music from different services such as Rhapsody.  I only use it by itself and can't say anything about how it integrates with other components.

In terms of the product itself, I absolutely love it.  In my opinion, it is the greatest human invention since personal lubricant.

Stillwater

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »
Agree. Absolutely swear by it.

Yada

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:12:15 am »
Thanks, folks.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:46:52 am »
If you are remotely computer savvy and want to save a few bucks the same ends (for the most part) can be accomplished using the squeezebox family of devices from Logitech. 

Or you can spend more and get a somewhat more refined experience out of Sonos.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-930-000090-Squeezebox-Touch/dp/B002LARRDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320155162&sr=1-1 as well as one of these http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squeezebox-Radio-Player-Screen/dp/B002LARRDK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320155162&sr=1-2 .

I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yada

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
Appreciate all the feedback...

Just wondering if this is the best way to go for connecting other components, specifically TV and record player.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 10:30:02 am »
You wouldn't connect a tv or record player to either of these devices.  They can work one of a few different ways:

- connect them to your existing stereo system (amp, speakers) as you would a cd player or other device.  Your phono and tv could be connected to this too.
- connect a pair of powered speakers (ones with built in amp and volume control like pc speakers have) to the either the sonos or squeezbox.  In this scenario it would be a stand alone system, with no integration with other components.
- or, if i'm not mistaken, i think sonos has some sort of all in one box that includes the sonos reciever as well as built in speakers - but I could be wrong about this.  I'm not familiar with their product line though.  For all I know they may have a receiver with built in amps that can power speakers of your choosing.

You would definitely NOT connect a phono or tv to either of these devices.

I'd suggest visiting a local sonos dealer and find a salesman that knows wtf he's talking about regarding the sonos product line.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:34:03 am by chaz »

Yada

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:47:42 am »
You wouldn't connect a tv or record player to either of these devices.  They can work one of a few different ways:

- connect them to your existing stereo system (amp, speakers) as you would a cd player or other device.  Your phono and tv could be connected to this too.
- connect a pair of powered speakers (ones with built in amp and volume control like pc speakers have) to the either the sonos or squeezbox.  In this scenario it would be a stand alone system, with no integration with other components.
- or, if i'm not mistaken, i think sonos has some sort of all in one box that includes the sonos reciever as well as built in speakers - but I could be wrong about this.  I'm not familiar with their product line though.  For all I know they may have a receiver with built in amps that can power speakers of your choosing.

You would definitely NOT connect a phono or tv to either of these devices.

I'd suggest visiting a local sonos dealer and find a salesman that knows wtf he's talking about regarding the sonos product line.

Thank you sir/madam.

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »
It might help if you explain a little more about what you're trying to do. 

As was pointed out, Sonos has a few products and it sounds like you might be inquiring about the Play series, and folks are responding to you about the Zoneplayer.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:42:37 pm »
It might help if you explain a little more about what you're trying to do. 

As was pointed out, Sonos has a few products and it sounds like you might be inquiring about the Play series, and folks are responding to you about the Zoneplayer.

Ideally, this would be the set up.

Living room with TV and record player hooked up directly to it which would also have the capability to play anything wireless; spotify, itunes, computer, etc.

Then have a zone in my basement and a zone upstairs which could play any wireless items. If I can stream components through that, I guess that would be a bonus.

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »

Living room with TV and record player hooked up directly to it which would also have the capability to play anything wireless; spotify, itunes, computer, etc.

Not the right device for that setup.  The Play Series (essentially, the stand alone speaker) only has one 3.5mm Aux input in the back.  You'd need a tuner/amp of some sort with multiple inputs and one of the Sonos Zoneplayers hooked up to it.

Then have a zone in my basement and a zone upstairs which could play any wireless items. If I can stream components through that, I guess that would be a bonus.

Without a tuner/amp upstairs, the Play series would work for this, however streaming other components likely wouldn't happen.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:59:31 pm »

Not the right device for that setup.  The Play Series (essentially, the stand alone speaker) only has one 3.5mm Aux input in the back.  You'd need a tuner/amp of some sort with multiple inputs and one of the Sonos Zoneplayers hooked up to it.

That would work...

So I'd just buy a tuner/amp and hook a zone player up to the tuner, right?