Author Topic: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th  (Read 20958 times)

mankie

Re: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  not a fan?

Originally posted by mankie:

By the way, Dandy Warhols are American.     :)    
Thank God for that. [/b]
[/b]
They might be alright with a different singer...that loud whispering he does is just out and out annoying.

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
That's about my take on them...singer is annoying and pretentious.

Their singles are ok but the long droning stuff they do live is too much for me.

Originally posted by mankie:

[qb] not a fan?

They might be alright with a different singer...that loud whispering he does is just out and out annoying. [/b]

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
  How about playing some country music? Where in DC can I go to hear some country music?
Try Cafe Saint Ex.  ;)

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  And friend of Guy Chadwick. The Dj list looks pretty cool. And although I doubt I can make it this time, I will try hard to make it next month.

2 questions......

The girl with the lonliest eyes is one of the slowest songs ever, and not really one of the bands best, what made you pick that for a DJ set?

And how did you get into Felt? And which allbums do you have?
As for the first question, the Blue Room is not a dance club and the idea behind Atmosphere as well as all their other events is really to play music that people can just sit back and listen to.  So not everything has to be uptempo all the time, and that's one of the joys of DJing there---you can create a set that has highs and lows like an album so you're giving the listener a sense of dynamics.  As for the song choice from the HOL, I happen to love that track---actually I think "The Girl with the Loneliest Eyes" is one of the highlights of their career, but obviously, it's just a question of personal taste. Calling it "one of the slowest songs ever" is going a bit too far, isn't it?  It's not like I played The Cure's "The Same Deep Water As You"---hey wait a minute, now there's an idea...

As for the second question, I got into Felt because of Moose & Belle & Sebastian. I think I kept on reading about them as an influence, so I had to check them out.  I have their 2 best of comps ("Absolute Classic" & "Stains on a Decade").  Don't have any studio albums yet, but I'm definitely planning on getting them, especially the early material...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
  By the way, Dandy Warhols are American.   :)  
and the go-betweens are australian. i kinda assumed it was more music to appeal to brits than all people for the island. sounds interesting, i'd go if it wasn't in adam's morgan
o/\o

markie

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:
  2 best of comps ("Absolute Classic" & "Stains on a Decade").  Don't have any studio albums yet, but I'm definitely planning on getting them, especially the early material...
Oh Ok..... Good answers, well I am still not sure about liking that HoL song. Personally speaking if its not on the first album its probably not great.......

And as for Felt, well I discovered them a similar way, comparisons to the tyde and bought the same two albums as you, although one has not arrived despite a 4 month wait. Darn amazon and their combining orders.

The studio albums all got re-released so they should be easy to find/cheaper than before.

If you like Felt, you would probably like The Tyde.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
 Do we need another venue playing Britpop?

I think this is a fair question.  But I think you will find that this event will have its own flavor apart from other events that are out there.  I think the idea behind it is to play a lot of stuff that doesn't get played out much if at all.  For example, I'm a big fan of early 90s Brit shoegaze, but where can I go to hear that?  Mark doesn't play a whole lot of that at Mousetrap. So if I want to hear a night that plays a healthy dose of House of Love, Catherine Wheel, Adorable, Kitchens of Distinction, My Bloody Valentine, Moose, Ride, Pale Saints, etc., I'm out of luck.  And a lot of the 80s Brit Pop nights in town focus more on the kitchy or mainstream stuff.  Try walking into one of those nights and requesting The Go-Betweens or Felt and they'll look at you like your speaking Greek...

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »
  By the way, Dandy Warhols are American.   :)  
I think the idea is to include bands that are either U.K.-based or U.K.-influenced, which means there would also be a fair amount of bands played from New York and Canada...

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
Oh and Guy, why did you play the Wedding Present and not Cinerama?
Because I don't really know Cinerama as well as The Wedding Present.  I've heard mixed things about them and have yet to pick up an album.   I'll definitely keep them in mind during my next cd buying binge though...

Yank

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2004, 01:27:00 pm »
  How about playing some country music? Where in DC can I go to hear some country music?
Come on over to Liverpool!  They have "Yank Night" on the third Sunday of every month at The Cavern.  I'm sure they play loads of country music mixed in with some refreshing Nu-metal.

markie

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

Oh and Guy, why did you play the Wedding Present and not Cinerama?
Because I don't really know Cinerama as well as The Wedding Present.  I've heard mixed things about them and have yet to pick up an album.   I'll definitely keep them in mind during my next cd buying binge though... [/b]
I have a feeling that I should burn you some CDs.....

Actually will Mp3s do? And can I put a whole load of them on a DVD for you? I think I have the whole Cinerama catologue. Personally I dont think David Gedge's charms have been stronger. The last couple of shows at the blackcat were pretty great.

markie

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Come on over to Liverpool!  They have "Yank Night" on the third Sunday of every month at The Cavern.  I'm sure they play loads of country music mixed in with some refreshing Nu-metal. [/b]
Do all the doodles in Liverpool get together and denounce Tony Blair as an idiot and the beer as piss? Do you request Nickleback?

bungle bud

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2004, 01:46:00 pm »
burning cds? both of mull historical society please.
 oh yes, the girl with.... is bloody awful, man to child bloody brilliant.

mankie

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2004, 01:51:00 pm »

Do all the doodles in Liverpool get together and denounce Tony Blair as an idiot and the beer as piss? Do you request Nickleback? [/b]
HEY HEY HEY!!!! Brit beer is not piss!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
  I have a feeling that I should burn you some CDs.....

markie, that reminds me. . .ordered a new powerbook and ipod last week. . .so, i'll be able to get you the red house painters stuff sometime soon.

speaking of which, i'm all for a shoegaze/droney (but not trancey) night of music to sit and chill to. . .my best friend in college had a radio show where that was all that they played.  mind you, my roommate and i had a goth show every so often. . not too bad for a radio station from a baptist college.
OU812