Author Topic: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th  (Read 20956 times)

brennser

Re: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2004, 08:24:00 pm »
 I'm definitely interested in hearing Cinerama more now after reading your recommendation...  
Cinerama are good, really good...you won't regret taking markie up on his offer

Yank

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2004, 03:04:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  How about playing some country music? Where in DC can I go to hear some country music?
Come on over to Liverpool!  They have "Yank Night" on the third Sunday of every month at The Cavern.  I'm sure they play loads of country music mixed in with some refreshing Nu-metal. [/b]
Do all the doodles in Liverpool get together and denounce Tony Blair as an idiot and the beer as piss? Do you request Nickleback? [/b]
Now why would us doodles request Canadian wankers like Nickelback when we have Creed?  Of course our favorites are the Yankee Doodle Dandy Warhols.

This will make some of the other doodles on the board very happy (and my Mom)if you're planning on a visit in the near future, but they've just started to run adverts for Coors Light on the telly.  My Mother searched in vain while she was over here last November looking for a pub or shop that sold that swill...but to no avail.  She suffered by drinking Carling, Budweiser or Fosters, turning her nose up at the bitters, ales and stouts.  I'm not joking when I tell you that see a large amount of Brits drinking Bud in the pubs and clubs!  This really is the 51st state.  God bless America UK!!!!  ;)

Jaguär

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2004, 03:46:00 am »
I really like your playlist Friend, especially the heavy Shoegazer leanings.

You should keep your eyes and ears opened for anything by 50Ft. Monster which is a new project by some of the guys from Catherine Wheel. Have only heard one of their songs so far as an MP3 that a friend gave me and it's very good.

Moose is great! My favorite song of their's is Can't Get Enough Of You from the High Ball Me! album.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

You should keep your eyes and ears opened for anything by 50Ft. Monster which is a new project by some of the guys from Catherine Wheel. Have only heard one of their songs so far as an MP3 that a friend gave me and it's very good.
Excellent. And thanks for the kind words.  I'm excited to hear about 50Ft Monster---I've been wondering what the ex-Catherine Wheel members were up to.  I heard the vocalist, Rob Dickinson, was working on a Pink Floyd sounding solo record, but I think I heard that about a year or so ago and still nothing yet.  So was 50Ft Monster a return to the early CW sound or more of an extension of what they had been doing with "Adam & Eve" and "Wishville"?

Moose is great! My favorite song of their's is Can't Get Enough Of You from the High Ball Me! album. [/QUOTE]

That's an excellent choice---I am such a huge fan of that band.  Their songwriting is so top drawer---it's really weird how they never got anywhere.  Even for a cult band, they are ultra obscure.  Maybe the fact that they have a bit of a folk/country flavor to their sound has prevented them from breaking through to a wider audience, I'm not sure...

Juliaz3

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
As a longtime fan of early '90s shoegazer, I'm all for this "alternative Britpop" night, and the suggested setlist is not a set you'll hear in any old club. I love to dance, but I'm tired of the packed crowds at Mousetrap drunkenly reeling around the sticky floor, so I welcome a night out where I can have a drink with friends and enjoy hearing excellent music and possibly get turned on to new bands that do my favorite sound. Blue Room is a cool space, too.

Bags

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
I agree....FoGC -- be sure to post the setlist next week!

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2004, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
I definitely will.  

That reminds me, do any of you guys have any specific requests?

markie

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2004, 06:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

I definitely will.  

That reminds me, do any of you guys have any specific requests? [/b]
Dont play, "I am the ressurection".

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2004, 06:20:00 pm »
"I Guess I'm Just a Little too Sensitive" by Orange Juice

I definitely will.  

That reminds me, do any of you guys have any specific requests? [/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2004, 06:39:00 pm »

album version of "black metallic," i love hearing the long version of that song.
 "sunshine smile" by adorable
 "alison" by slowdive
OU812

Samantha

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2004, 06:53:00 pm »
ehhh what's the age qualifications

(I hate always having to ask this)

redsock

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2004, 06:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

album version of "black metallic," i love hearing the long version of that song.
 [/b]
I was gonna request Black Metallic for Friday night....I guess you can play it both nights

Jaguär

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2004, 01:57:00 am »

Originally posted by Jaguär:

Excellent. And thanks for the kind words.  I'm excited to hear about 50Ft Monster---I've been wondering what the ex-Catherine Wheel members were up to.  I heard the vocalist, Rob Dickinson, was working on a Pink Floyd sounding solo record, but I think I heard that about a year or so ago and still nothing yet.  So was 50Ft Monster a return to the early CW sound or more of an extension of what they had been doing with "Adam & Eve" and "Wishville"?[/b]
Only hearing one song as of yet, it's a little hard to say but I'd have to say they sound like Serafin getting a little closer to early Catherine Wheel. Not quite as hard guitar driven but not the softer Pink Floyd acoustic like music either.

Would be nice to hear some Electro Amp Cynic. Maybe the songs Away From Me or Hawaii.

Lately, I've been going Swervedriver crazy. Duress, Bring Me The Head Of The Fortune Teller, Girl On A Motorbike, or Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn would be great. Duress and Never Lose... are my favorites.

Ride's Chrome Waves, Vapour Trail and Dreams Burn Down.

Trespassers William have a great version of Vapour Trail too. Or their song Alone from the Different Stars album which is great. A bit laid back so you'd have to be careful where you placed it in your set.

The songs Crash Landing or Sleeping On A Train by Monster Movie are good choices too. The band consists of a couple members of Slowdive.

Burning Stars by Lupine Howl is a great and soft song that builds and gets very powerful. I love that song. A lot of the songs on The Carnivorous Lunar Adventures of Lupine Howl would be perfect for the more upbeat moods.

The World Is Ours, The Runaways and Knee Deep And Down by The Rain Band.

Juliaz3

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2004, 11:35:00 am »
Oh, yeah, I second The Rain Band!

What time will your deejay set be at Blue Room on Sunday?

What and where is Staccato (your Friday night gig)?

redsock

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Juliaz3:

What and where is Staccato (your Friday night gig)?
http://www.bigyawn.net/features/ourparty.htm