Author Topic: Newport Folk Festival  (Read 1924 times)

Stillwater

Newport Folk Festival
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:06:42 am »
I am partial to this fest because I am a Rhode Islander, but it is great.  They just announced the lineup, which is also great (for my tastes at least). It is a really relaxing atmosphere right on the water.  Lots of people bring their boats up to the fest to listen. It's great. /rant

http://www.newportfolkfest.net/lineup

My Morning Jacket
Jackson Browne
Conor Oberst
Iron & Wine
Patty Griffin
Guthrie Family Reunion
Deer Tick
Dawes
Head and the Heart
Alabama Shakes
Charles Bradley & his Extra ordinaries
The Punch Brothers
City & Colour
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Tune Yards
Tallest Man on Earth
Tom Morello: The Night Watchmen
Trampled by Turtles
Gary Clark Jr
Of Monsters and Men
Blind Pilot
Sharon Van Etten
New Multitudes (Ferrar, Johnson, Parker and Yames)
Sara Watkins
Brown Bird
First Aid Kit
Jonny Corndawg
Jonathan Wilson
Spirit Family Reunion
Deep Dark Woods
Carl Broemel
Ben Sollee
Frank Fairfiel
Apache Relay
Spider John Koerner
Joel Rafael
Honyhoney
Elizabeth Mitchell & You are my flower
Joe Fletcher
The Kossoy Sisters
Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
Berklee City Music Choir
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:12:29 am by Stillwater »

atomicfront

Re: Newport Folk Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:03 am »
I went last year.  And it is a great location.  But I don't like the line-up at all this year.  Real step backwards from 2011 imho.   

Stillwater

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:24:30 am »
They made some comments on Facebook about getting people to temper their expectations because they are not a "mega festival" because everyone kept being OMGMUMFORDANDSONSOMGPLEASE.  I kind of figured MMJ would headline since Yim Yames is pat of their newly-created Board of Directors.  I don't know, it's a little heavy on the "in" bands I guess but it is only a 2 day festival so seeing MMJ, Dawes, Deer Tick, Tune Yards, Gary Clark Jr, Charles Bradley, Alabama Shakes, Ben Sollee, Preservation Hall across 2 days is good for me coupled with a great location/atmosphere. Throw in a couple side projects in there by Yames and Morello and it's a win. 

atomicfront

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:23:25 am »
They made some comments on Facebook about getting people to temper their expectations because they are not a "mega festival" because everyone kept being OMGMUMFORDANDSONSOMGPLEASE.  I kind of figured MMJ would headline since Yim Yames is pat of their newly-created Board of Directors.  I don't know, it's a little heavy on the "in" bands I guess but it is only a 2 day festival so seeing MMJ, Dawes, Deer Tick, Tune Yards, Gary Clark Jr, Charles Bradley, Alabama Shakes, Ben Sollee, Preservation Hall across 2 days is good for me coupled with a great location/atmosphere. Throw in a couple side projects in there by Yames and Morello and it's a win. 

Well I guess it is because I don't like any of the bands you have listed that I think it is a weak line-up compared to last year.  Or any of the previous years.  I would  be interested in a few of the bands like First Aid Kit, Of Monters and Men, and Sharon Van Etten.  MMJ has played every festival like a million times.  Yeah I expected them to headline as well.  But geez Jackson Brown?