Author Topic: Northern Virginia  (Read 6828 times)

mankie

Re: Northern Virginia
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] What about Laurel? Are there nice parts of Laurel?

Laurel is basically Legoland..it's too fabricated if you know what I mean. There's one intersection near the racetrack where the diner is that's real, but the rest of it is legoland.......same as Columbia really.

redsock

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by redsock:
  That's cause PG county is scary.
cause of all the "colored people"? [/b]
No, that would mean DC is scary. It's just the ominous feeling I get. Like I keep hearing a Scooby-Doo villain saying "Get-Out!" I get that feeling in certain parts of Northern Virginia too. Hell I get that feeling at some Dim Sum restaurants...has nothing to do with PG county being mostly black. Just me being tall white and goofy, I stand out. normally I don't care....but PG is different. I just don't belong...

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 12:52:00 pm »
I think I know what you mean...

"Legoland" is not such a bad thing to me...given that I'm in DC five days a week anyway, I get my share of non-Legoland.

Basically, I think we're looking for somewhere wear we can afford a single family house, have a decent size yard, have decent schools for our future kid, and be within reasonable driving distance to the Metro/MARC/VRE station. Don't mind a further out suburb (e.g Centreville, Manassas) if it means affording a nicer house with a yard.

I think we favor VA (puts us closer to the mountains), but also looking at MD possibilities. Laurel seems like a better choice than Columbia, because the commute would be shorter.

Originally posted by mankie:

[QB] What about Laurel? Are there nice parts of Laurel?

Laurel is basically Legoland..it's too fabricated if you know what I mean. There's one intersection near the racetrack where the diner is that's real, but the rest of it is legoland.......same as Columbia really. [/b]

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
I used to live in Savage, MD.  That wasn't bad at all.  It's between Laurel and Columbia, near the intersection of Rt. 1 and 32.  There's a MARC station about a mile away.  Very easy access to 95.  It's nicer than Laurel, not as sterile as Columbia, but you're only a few minutes from both.

Basically, I think we're looking for somewhere wear we can afford a single family house, have a decent size yard, have decent schools for our future kid, and be within reasonable driving distance to the Metro/MARC/VRE station. Don't mind a further out suburb (e.g Centreville, Manassas) if it means affording a nicer house with a yard.

I think we favor VA (puts us closer to the mountains), but also looking at MD possibilities. Laurel seems like a better choice than Columbia, because the commute would be shorter.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
being a nomadic pennsylvanian, i find the hate between marylanders and virginians hillarious
o/\o

mankie

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »

I stand out. normally I don't care....but PG is different. I just don't belong... [/b]
A bit like myself and America...even after 17 years!

brennser

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
I used to live in Savage, MD.  
I love that name - I keep waiting for a politician to say "I believe in a town called Savage"

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2004, 01:07:00 pm »

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

That's cause PG county is scary.
cause of all the "colored people"? [/b]
No, that would mean DC is scary. It's just the ominous feeling I get. Like I keep hearing a Scooby-Doo villain saying "Get-Out!" I get that feeling in certain parts of Northern Virginia too. Hell I get that feeling at some Dim Sum restaurants...has nothing to do with PG county being mostly black. Just me being tall white and goofy, I stand out. normally I don't care....but PG is different. I just don't belong... [/b]
y'all dont know what its like
 being male middle class and white?

ggw

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2004, 01:54:00 pm »
Many of those are spot on.

1. Speed limits are just suggestions
 6. When people ask where you're from, you tell them DC because its easier to explain
 7. You've never told someone you're from Virginia without putting "northern" in front of it
 9. Its not actually tailgating unless your bumper is touching the car in front of you.
 24. You can cross 4 lanes of traffic in under 30 seconds
 25. There are at least 3 malls within 20 minutes of your house
 26. There are at least 6 Starbucks within 20 minutes of your house
 39. Crown Victoria = undercover cop
 40. A slow driver is someone who isn't going at least 10mph over the speed limit
 44. Most of Loudoun County is the "middle of nowhere"
 45. They just tore down the old farm house across the street and put 12 new houses in its place
 53. If you stay on the same road long enough, it will eventually have 3 new names.
 56. You know at least 3 alternate routes to avoid sitting at a stop light.

But I think the whole traffic thing is overblown.  In my experience, Maryland traffic is infinitely worse.

mankie

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2004, 02:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

But I think the whole traffic thing is overblown.  In my experience, Maryland traffic is infinitely worse.
No 'effin way. Commuting 6 days a week over that damn bridge I can assure you that VA is far worse than MD for traffic....the rubber-necker phenomenom is much worse in VA too. The State Troopers are bigger arseholes also.

Not that MD is Utopia, but it's not nearly as bad as VA for traffic etc.

VA does have the lesser of two evils when it comes to politicians though...The Peoples Republic of Maryland is just out of control at this point.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2004, 04:01:00 pm »
  Another one,

You'd rather spend time in a Turkish prison than you would Maryland.
>>>>>>Amen,brother,Amen!

Samantha

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »
this is all so painfully true.  speaking of all this traffic bullshit, it seems like the lights go out often enough, that people would know the proper behaviour when one comes to a blacked out stoplight...it drives me fucking MAD when people don't treat it like a four way stop...the people on the secondary roads end up sitting there forever...and then when I stop to let someone else turn, the people in the lane next to me go barrelling through and the people behind me honk  :)

flawd101

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 06:06:00 pm »
hahahahaha there are are so many things in that list i agree with, exept #5, most the people i know are going to Nova, "the cAll_edge of champions!!!"

mjnova

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 07:50:00 pm »

Originally posted by ggw™:

No 'effin way. Commuting 6 days a week over that damn bridge I can assure you that VA is far worse than MD for traffic....the rubber-necker phenomenom is much worse in VA too. The State Troopers are bigger arseholes also.

Not that MD is Utopia, but it's not nearly as bad as VA for traffic etc.

VA does have the lesser of two evils when it comes to politicians though...The Peoples Republic of Maryland is just out of control at this point. [/b]
What planet are you from?

Although I will admit that U of Md just named it's student section the Red Army.  But that's just a coincidence.

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2004, 04:01:00 am »
Concerning Md vs Va traffic, I think one is as bad as the other. It all depends on where you are and at what time.