Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1298769 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2490 on: May 10, 2017, 11:27:50 pm »
I know many of you won't believe me.. many of you may be too young but Robyn Hitchcock tonight at Jammin Java was astoundingly good....I admit I have started the  year slow but contender for show of year.. the guy opened with my request (communicated via twitter) of Not Dark Yet and then played a bunch of his songs- some classics with the Egyptians some solo- and finished with Dylan's Visions, Nick Drake (River Man..shockingly good) and the Doors...

I got to say .. it is weird when you listen to someone for a quarter century, then you finally see them live and  you have virtually the best seat in the house and they amaze you...

so good..if there should be any tickets for tomorrow night available you would- seriously- be a fool not to take them..

fun fact: my drive from the venue...15 minutes

Unsanity

« Reply #2491 on: May 11, 2017, 04:51:53 am »
I thought it was kinda lackluster, to be honest.  Love the band but it just seemed a bit flat last night.

I will admit it started a bit slow but it got better and better, the crowd came around and kinda exploded. I'd say they were better than last time I saw them at the Black Cat. I loved the setlist of mainly Machine Gun Etiquette songs. I mean c'mon...Captain Sensible had to sit a toilet for the set and had to be carried off stage. He still was in great spirits and can still strangle a mean guitar. We'll be lucky to get another milestone tour out of them.

hutch

« Reply #2492 on: May 11, 2017, 08:18:17 am »
a toilet on stage?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2493 on: May 11, 2017, 08:27:37 am »
Sorta. Kinda. Not really.

I thought the pacing and energy was just off. That is, until they played New Rose.  The show took an overdue turn for the better at that point, but the bulk of the set had already been played.

Machine Gun Etiquette is their best work, for sure. And most, if not all, of my favorites were played. It just lacked something. I actually thought the Black Cat show was better.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2494 on: May 11, 2017, 08:43:23 am »
Yup I remember kraftwerk too but those shows were just ok sadly
I enjoyed the one I went to. Then again, I paid $12; had I paid $55 I might feel differently.
LVMH

heff

« Reply #2495 on: May 11, 2017, 09:14:55 am »
I know many of you won't believe me.. many of you may be too young but Robyn Hitchcock tonight at Jammin Java was astoundingly good....I admit I have started the  year slow but contender for show of year.. the guy opened with my request (communicated via twitter) of Not Dark Yet and then played a bunch of his songs- some classics with the Egyptians some solo- and finished with Dylan's Visions, Nick Drake (River Man..shockingly good) and the Doors...

I got to say .. it is weird when you listen to someone for a quarter century, then you finally see them live and  you have virtually the best seat in the house and they amaze you...

so good..if there should be any tickets for tomorrow night available you would- seriously- be a fool not to take them..

fun fact: my drive from the venue...15 minutes

Good to hear.  I'm going tonight and I've put in my requests. This will be the third time I've seen Hitchcock (all solo, I've never been able to catch him with a band) and he does not disappoint.  I think some people get turned off by his meanderings between songs but it's part of the charm to me.

fun fact2:  also 15 minutes for me to the venue.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2496 on: May 11, 2017, 11:25:27 am »
I was convinced they only played 20% of the music live.

Yup I remember kraftwerk too but those shows were just ok sadly
I enjoyed the one I went to. Then again, I paid $12; had I paid $55 I might feel differently.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #2497 on: May 11, 2017, 10:33:17 pm »
geez.. never have i seen a two night stand where i would so gladly take night`1 over night 2... i enjoyed robyn tonight but last night was transcendent and tonight was merely human... usually in my experience night 2 is the one to go for...

i did enjoy the three songs from underwater moonlight a lot... i enjoyed the whole show a lot..but last night was on another level for me..

hutch

« Reply #2498 on: May 12, 2017, 07:05:00 am »
Oh yah robyn said there would be a full band show in baltimore in july....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2499 on: May 12, 2017, 07:08:00 am »
geez.. never have i seen a two night stand where i would so gladly take night`1 over night 2... i enjoyed robyn tonight but last night was transcendent and tonight was merely human... usually in my experience night 2 is the one to go for...

i did enjoy the three songs from underwater moonlight a lot... i enjoyed the whole show a lot..but last night was on another level for me..

Hoping that the matinee show Saturday is more than merely human, and transcendent as fuck.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2500 on: May 12, 2017, 07:08:45 am »

That is pretty great news

bearman🐻

« Reply #2501 on: May 13, 2017, 09:33:26 am »
The Damned in Baltimore was quite excellent. God bless Captain Sensible.

Agreed. It was one of my favorite shows of theirs. To be honest, musically I thought it was the best one since the "Black Album"/"Damned Damned Damned" tour. I liked the variety of songs they did. I didn't think the energy was off from the band...it was the audience. If you were up front, like me, they made a lot of eye contact and it certainly didn't feel like they weren't enjoying themselves. It's kinda sad when they played "Love Song" and "Machine Gun Etiquette" and the audience didn't even flinch. Really? If you aren't having a good time, the only one to blame is yourself. And "Love Song" was only 6 songs in, so you can't really say the pacing of the show was off. Anyway, I loved the show. That version of "Ignite" was absolutely top notch too.

shemptiness

« Reply #2502 on: May 13, 2017, 10:06:52 am »
Last night was probably the best Ryan Adams show I've seen.  A lot depends on his mood and he appeared to be in great spirits.  Sound was great, his voice was even better.  Too bad about the 11P curfew as I'm sure he would have played longer if he could have.  And everybody wanted him to.

mekmad

« Reply #2503 on: May 13, 2017, 11:11:17 am »
The Damned in Baltimore was quite excellent. God bless Captain Sensible.

Agreed. It was one of my favorite shows of theirs. To be honest, musically I thought it was the best one since the "Black Album"/"Damned Damned Damned" tour. I liked the variety of songs they did. I didn't think the energy was off from the band...it was the audience. If you were up front, like me, they made a lot of eye contact and it certainly didn't feel like they weren't enjoying themselves. It's kinda sad when they played "Love Song" and "Machine Gun Etiquette" and the audience didn't even flinch. Really? If you aren't having a good time, the only one to blame is yourself. And "Love Song" was only 6 songs in, so you can't really say the pacing of the show was off. Anyway, I loved the show. That version of "Ignite" was absolutely top notch too.

So annoyed I missed this show, I was out of town.  Hopefully they come do a DC show on another leg or something.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2504 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:28 am »

That is pretty great news

Robyn announced that he will be playing WTMD First Thursday on July 6th.