Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1297342 times)

dyecraig

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2685 on: July 27, 2017, 12:57:40 pm »
i was gone for a while, came back yesterday, may get gone again.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2686 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:12 am »
anyone know who the female singer was who made an appearance via video during the b&s show last night?
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2687 on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
that's Dee Dee from Dum Dum Girls/Kristin Kontrol

anyone know who the female singer was who made an appearance via video during the b&s show last night?
(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2688 on: July 31, 2017, 10:26:44 am »
What a beautiful night at MPP.
Hex
Spoon
Belle
Were all great shows. Nice to hear Hex have a few new songs!
Watched/Listened to Bird from the VIPdeck. Didn't get a Random Acts/FWB invite, but asked if they had any extra VIP admits at the 930 tent after Hex, and they obliged. Which was nice.
Got to catch up with Bearman, Bagley, and Vas. Which was also nice.
Did not see/meet our Walrus instigator or the pool.

Darth Ed

« Reply #2689 on: July 31, 2017, 10:35:49 am »
that's Dee Dee from Dum Dum Girls/Kristin Kontrol

Thank you! I was wondering the same.

Kemosabe

« Reply #2690 on: July 31, 2017, 10:37:06 am »
Last night was fun!  I got to the show in time to catch Koev Halev, who impressed me with their particular brand of post-punk.  This was only their second show, and I expect them to be a fun band to catch over the years.  My favorite part was that the band all looked like goths from the 1980s.  The next group was Wipeout.  They sucked big time.  I left in the middle of their first song and sat in my car listening to the new Trapped Under Ice until they were finished.  They were very amateurish sounding; with a singer/guitarist who was not good at doing either, and the rest of the music was from a computer, by someone who seemingly had zero knowledge of music production.  It was a mess.  RIYL crap.  The last band of the night, Boy Harsher, were a real treat.  I love their minimal electronic compositions and female vocals.  The singer was fun to watch; she had a rack effects unit that she manipulated through their set, often changing effects on her voice several times each song.  All in all, a great night.  Thanks to Savage Party for booking it, Metro Gallery for hosting it, and everyone who came out and had a great time on a Sunday night!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:38:51 am by Kemosabe »

bearman🐻

« Reply #2691 on: July 31, 2017, 11:13:40 am »
What a beautiful night at MPP.
Hex
Spoon
Belle
Were all great shows. Nice to hear Hex have a few new songs!
Watched/Listened to Bird from the VIPdeck. Didn't get a Random Acts/FWB invite, but asked if they had any extra VIP admits at the 930 tent after Hex, and they obliged. Which was nice.
Got to catch up with Bearman, Bagley, and Vas. Which was also nice.
Did not see/meet our Walrus instigator or the pool.

Easily one of my favorite nights at Merriweather, which is turning into one of America's truly great outdoor venues by leaps and bounds. That VIP deck is SICK!!! Absolutely wonderful pre-birthday celebration for me. Excellent performances from all the bands...it really doesn't get much better for a late July outdoor show than a serene and cool (and un-humid) show like that. Great to see you Challenged. Those are the kinds of nights where the trek out to Columbia is more than worth it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2692 on: July 31, 2017, 11:27:20 am »
The sound for Spoon was amazing....wayyy better than the Lincoln Theater show that I saw.

Did some people go home after their set? I swear it was less crowded during B&S ... I guess it's proof that B&S is not for everyone
(_|_)

Kemosabe

« Reply #2693 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:21 am »
I will keep my Ex Hex opinions to myself, as I know what happens when one disagrees with the group think/hive mind on here... And I do not feel like getting attacked for having a different opinion.  I am glad to hear that everyone had fun yesterday.  The only band on that bill that I would have wanted to see was Spoon, and I had already seen them twice (once at MPP and once at Sonar, and I do not think the Sonar show can be topped). 

hutch

« Reply #2694 on: July 31, 2017, 12:09:34 pm »
So you did not go to show....yah...keep opinion on show to yourself

Kemosabe

« Reply #2695 on: July 31, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »
I love the block feature.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

bearman🐻

« Reply #2696 on: July 31, 2017, 12:56:33 pm »
I will keep my Ex Hex opinions to myself, as I know what happens when one disagrees with the group think/hive mind on here... And I do not feel like getting attacked for having a different opinion.  I am glad to hear that everyone had fun yesterday.  The only band on that bill that I would have wanted to see was Spoon, and I had already seen them twice (once at MPP and once at Sonar, and I do not think the Sonar show can be topped).

Here's a thought I've been having for a while. It seems our society is really focused on things of a crummy nature and it's all around us.  We all obviously love music, which is hopefully why we post here. So it might be nice if tried something a little different. Why not keep contributions on a more constructive nature? Or, rather than commenting about a band that you dislike (especially one who probably has a lot of friends on here, or who are part of a local community trying to earn a living as artists), perhaps focus on the artists that maybe need more exposure so that we can learn more and drum up interest to seek them out? I have a lot of friends who are musicians. What they are doing isn't easy. They deal with things like working day jobs to pay the rent, supporting their kids, trying to find affordable health care, or even just the money to keep releasing new music (and it costs a LOT to do that.) Yes, ideally they should have tough skins if they want to be visible. But when you pour your heart and soul into work and make a lot of tough sacrifices to do it, I think they appreciate not being labeled in a negative way. I realize everyone enjoys being a critic (me included), but I'm just SO exhausted and burned out from the negativity, the news cycle, and you guys are a nice diversion because it gives us all a chance to focus on something more enjoyable. Just my 2 cents here. And before anyone says I'm a hypocrite, I know I'm guilty of vocalizing my opinions if I don't "get" something. But I try to phrase it in a way isn't dismissive of someone's art and their work (which, if you really think about it, takes guts to create and put out into the world). Maybe I don't understand or like what some people create, but lots of others might. And that's fine. I'm just talking about moving forward, it might be a nice change to just be a little more kind.

Kemosabe

« Reply #2697 on: July 31, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
Dude, people on here always talk crap about music that I post about, so, no thanks.  If you want I can quote some recent examples. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2698 on: July 31, 2017, 01:09:00 pm »
You have no idea how much Mary Timony shreds... :-\ :-\   

(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #2699 on: July 31, 2017, 01:16:37 pm »
Dude, people on here always talk crap about music that I post about, so, no thanks.  If you want I can quote some recent examples.

That's why I said moving forward. I wasn't implying I was singling you out. I also didn't say I wasn't guilty of it too.