Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268580 times)

K8teebug

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2820 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:46 am »
I think I'm the only Tori Amos fan on here these days, but can I just say DO NOT GO TO THE MGM THEATER EVER. Such a hot mess of super super drunk people (thanks to the 32oz liquor drink they serve) and the worst people ever. I've been going to Tori shows for 21 years and have never ever seen such assholes.

shemptiness

« Reply #2821 on: November 06, 2017, 01:43:08 pm »
Excellent Elbow show (as usual) Saturday night.  It's hard to leave one of their shows without a smile on your face.

I haven't been to the club in a while, but I don't recall ever seeing such a long line to get in.  We ducked into the burger joint on 8th
rather than stand in the rain (which we ended up doing anyway).  Doors were at 8 and the line stretched down 8th the entire time we
were there.  I was assuming people were being wanded at the door, but that wasn't the case.  Missed the opener, but did get in prior to
Elbow coming on at 9:30.   

hemisphire

« Reply #2822 on: November 06, 2017, 02:05:12 pm »
I think I'm the only Tori Amos fan on here these days, but can I just say DO NOT GO TO THE MGM THEATER EVER. Such a hot mess of super super drunk people (thanks to the 32oz liquor drink they serve) and the worst people ever. I've been going to Tori shows for 21 years and have never ever seen such assholes.

You'd be incorrect as too being the only Tori fan here. Agreed on the bars there - my wife ended up going to the 3rd floor one, which had shorter lines. Great show, though.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2823 on: November 06, 2017, 04:38:28 pm »
The Lydia Loveless show at Metro Gallery was pretty great: stripped down, just her and her guitar player. The opener was Skribe, an Annapolitan who plays some interesting songs on unconventional instruments.

gavroche

« Reply #2824 on: November 09, 2017, 01:19:00 pm »
I saw EMA last night at DC9 and quite enjoyed it, but wasn't as amazing as her U street show 4 or 5 years back (one of my favorite concerts ever).  This time she had a much smaller band, drums and keyboard/bass/violin player.  Short set and not as much off the new album as I would have expected.  She was in good spirits though and seemed to be having fun.  I was surprised that The Blow came on last, but it meant that I got home at a reasonable hour.

The new Ian Svenonius project was amusing enough though.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2825 on: November 09, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »
I think the Blow are bigger than her, which is why they came on last. It was definitely quite short at 45 minutes.  Here's hoping she'd come back next time with her own tour. I still enjoyed the show very much (my 2nd time seeing her after the RNR show supporting the 2014 album).  I am surprised that it didn't sell out actually. She's definitely way underrated.
(_|_)

gavroche

« Reply #2826 on: November 09, 2017, 02:25:24 pm »
I think the Blow are bigger than her, which is why they came on last.

They obviously are but I didn't realize it.  Her first album was huge it seemed to me.  The next two were relatively inaccessible though and so I guess she lost some buzz.  I wish she came around more. 

hutch

« Reply #2827 on: November 09, 2017, 03:10:58 pm »
I was really impressed with the Grizzly Bear rhythm section

Yada

« Reply #2828 on: November 15, 2017, 09:46:31 am »
Robert Zimmerman exceeded all expectations. It's been nearly 20 years since the last time I saw him.

Awesome band, voice was great (I thought), a few snoozers (but to be expected). So glad I got to see this show.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2829 on: November 15, 2017, 02:04:39 pm »
Robert Zimmerman exceeded all expectations. It's been nearly 20 years since the last time I saw him.

Awesome band, voice was great (I thought), a few snoozers (but to be expected). So glad I got to see this show.

Thank you for this review. I had to eat my ticket and stay at home picking lice out of kids hair -- at least I had the Traveling Wilburys on.
(o|o)

Space Freely

« Reply #2830 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:35 pm »

Thank you for this review. I had to eat my ticket and stay at home picking lice out of kids hair -- at least I had the Traveling Wilburys on.

Should have just shaved the kid's head and went to the show. Who knows how long Bob will be with us. The kid's hair will grow back.

Yada

« Reply #2831 on: November 15, 2017, 02:26:31 pm »

Ooof... that stinks. Pretty heavy on The Tempest, Modern Times, Love and Theft with a few standards + classics thrown in there.

Should probably throw in that Mavis Staples was great as well, however, I only caught her last few tunes do to the line that wrapped around the SW Waterfront.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:28:12 pm by Yada »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2832 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:54 pm »
Bully was fucking killer last night at U Street -- Alicia should be a super-star
(o|o)

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2833 on: November 17, 2017, 11:48:40 am »
catching up on this thread - i've been a huge EMA fan ever since her first album (I wasn't aware of Gowns, but they rule too...I see she's been playing a Gowns song on tour, but we didn't get that :( ) - but that DC9 show was my first time seeing her, I thought it was great.  She is actually co-headlining with The Blow - and I believe they alternate who plays last.

Saw The Jesus and Mary Chain at Rams Head also - decent show - didn't wear earplugs and my ears were ringing the next day.  The encore was the strongest part of the night imho.

then saw Slowdive last night and they sounded suburb as always.  Sounded better than they did at the 930 in the spring I would say.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2834 on: November 17, 2017, 01:46:00 pm »
I'd give the JAMC show a 7/10.  It was very loud....louder than the last MBV show in Philly.  The latter part of the show was definitely better than the first half, mainly due to the sound sucking during the first 6-7 songs.  During the Psychocandy tour, the first half was better (the hits and "Reverence" played during the first half.

Slowdive's show was a 10 last night.  Probably the best sounding show that I've seen at Rams Head Live.

Saw The Jesus and Mary Chain at Rams Head also - decent show - didn't wear earplugs and my ears were ringing the next day.  The encore was the strongest part of the night imho.

then saw Slowdive last night and they sounded suburb as always.  Sounded better than they did at the 930 in the spring I would say.
(_|_)