Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269208 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3480 on: July 22, 2019, 02:15:33 pm »
Like I said....I sure respect him for not playing it

Darnielle evolved in a direction that didn’t work for me but I am so glad he did what he had to do even if it was a bit drastic ...worked out great for him too

Truth is I don’t often listen to his old stuff either..it’s just too raw

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3481 on: July 22, 2019, 02:23:25 pm »

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3482 on: July 24, 2019, 11:41:28 am »
Titus was tremendous at Comet last night. Getting to see them play at a 150-person capacity venue was a lot of fun. Reminded me of seeing Hold Steady at a dingy club in Albany in '06. A rocking, sweaty mess.

hutch

« Reply #3483 on: July 27, 2019, 08:27:42 am »
Elvis Costello played So Like Candy last night....I think it is a great tune

K8teebug

« Reply #3484 on: July 29, 2019, 09:13:10 am »
Caroline Rose was SO MUCH FUN Thursday night.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3485 on: July 29, 2019, 09:24:57 am »
OMG YESSSS! 

And she has a hot bassist/synth player  :-*

Caroline Rose was SO MUCH FUN Thursday night.
(_|_)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3486 on: July 29, 2019, 09:25:15 am »
Enjoyed Costello and Blondie although you all weren't kidding about Blondie being far off their game. Yikes.
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3487 on: July 29, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »
Merge Records MRG30 festival was great.

Some random highlights for me:

Waxahatchee (Katie solo) with Mary Lattimore on Harp doing several duets, and Katie's Lucinda cover at the end.
Ex Hex were great, I like them a lot more i think with Mary and Betsy alternating on lead guitar.
Superchunk with Damian from FuckedUp and Katie on Slack Motherfucker.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG70psYn7v4   
Mike Krol, fuzzy weirdness.
Telekenisis, really great acoustic mini-set followed by band set. Apparantly he usually performs/sings while playing drums, but here he played guitar and sang.
Destroyer (Dan Solo set) was fun and he was a funny and talkative guy.
Lambchop was weird and wonderful and, maybe, "soulful"?
A Giant Dog, Sabrina is a great performer.
Titus Andronicus is always a highlight for me.

The band that lit the place up the most, besides Suprachunk was Ibibio Sound Machine.

Generally loved the Cat's Cradle main room and back room. Friendly staff, hassle-free. Also really appreciated it being indoors at night and not an outside all day festival.

Had never been to that part of North Carolina, it was lovely. Got to check out the Botanical Gardens, a nature reserve, and downtown Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3488 on: July 29, 2019, 04:25:50 pm »
^^ Yeah, it's too bad Ibibio Sound Machine were playing the same night as Fruit Bats in DC this past Friday.

I need to re-listen to the new Ex Hex as it is not as memorable as the debut.

A Giant Dog - no one would see this band if the singer is one hairy, sweaty dude.  They just don't have the songs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:27:47 pm by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3489 on: July 29, 2019, 04:38:40 pm »
^^ Yeah, it's too bad Ibibio Sound Machine were playing the same night as Fruit Bats in DC this past Friday.

I need to re-listen to the new Ex Hex as it is not as memorable as the debut.

A Giant Dog - no one would see this band if the singer is one hairy, sweaty dude.  They just don't have the songs.

as to the Dog...I think very few people DO see this band: maybe the same number of people who see Fucked Up which features the hairy sweaty dude.

as to the hex...I agree, 2nd record not as catchy.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:40:54 pm by challanged and calloused »

« Reply #3490 on: July 29, 2019, 05:04:22 pm »

as to the Dog...I think very few people DO see this band: maybe the same number of people who see Fucked Up which features the hairy sweaty dude.
So a part of AGD's je ne sais quoi is Sabrina Ellis and her undeniable stage presence and insanity...
I love their albums....
songs: Photograph, I'll come crashing, Sex & Drugs and Sleep while I'm dead are great to me

live.... that woman is an atomic bomb and just whips the crowd in to a fury

why did they forsake DC...they are in asbury park NJ tonight ....grr
maybe a hairy sweat dude could pull that off, but I doubt it

I don't find her that attractive honestly, but she is half naked most shows
slack

Bagley

« Reply #3491 on: July 31, 2019, 10:04:08 am »

Waxahatchee (Katie solo) with Mary Lattimore on Harp doing several duets, and Katie's Lucinda cover at the end.
Ex Hex were great, I like them a lot more i think with Mary and Betsy alternating on lead guitar.
Superchunk with Damian from FuckedUp and Katie on Slack Motherfucker.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG70psYn7v4   
Telekenisis, really great acoustic mini-set followed by band set. Apparantly he usually performs/sings while playing drums, but here he played guitar and sang.

The band that lit the place up the most, besides Suprachunk was Ibibio Sound Machine.

Generally loved the Cat's Cradle main room and back room. Friendly staff, hassle-free. Also really appreciated it being indoors at night and not an outside all day festival.

Had never been to that part of North Carolina, it was lovely. Got to check out the Botanical Gardens, a nature reserve, and downtown Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

How were Hiss Golden Messenger and the Mountain Goats?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3492 on: July 31, 2019, 10:07:27 am »
challenged: I assume you didn't see IMPERIAL TEEN?  ::) ::) ::)
(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3493 on: July 31, 2019, 11:33:16 am »
challenged: I assume you didn't see IMPERIAL TEEN?  ::) ::) ::)

I did, and they were good! Wasn't a highlight for me, but very enjoyable. Also saw Gauche and enjoyed, and had not known that Adrienne the Sax player for TL RX is in that band. Essex Green were good too, as was Spider Bags.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3494 on: July 31, 2019, 11:38:21 am »

How were Hiss Golden Messenger and the Mountain Goats?

Didnt we discuss this IRL already?
TMG were very good, but a short set, and had just seen them 2X. Best part was that I was way up front in the standing orchestra pit area for this.
HGM - Josh Kaufman on lead guitar and Phil Cook on soulful keys are amazing, the songs (for me) are maybe a little too Gradteful Deed meets Van Morrison for me sometimes, but enjoyed the sing-alongishness for sure.