Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269219 times)

Here's the thing

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3495 on: August 13, 2019, 11:47:52 pm »
Bryan Ferry was pretty fun, especially the 2nd half. Turns out I don’t love Avalon, but I do like many other Roxy Music records.
Also, did anyone else see the gentlemen in Seth’s box who looked like Richard Branson? I think it might have been Richard Branson. Am I just getting old, to the point were everyone looks like someone I recognize?

DotTheEyes

« Reply #3496 on: August 13, 2019, 11:50:14 pm »
"In Every Dream Home a Heartache" was epic.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3497 on: August 14, 2019, 01:24:52 am »
Bryan Ferry was 100% worth the price of admission and getting home at 1:15am during the week. Hell yeah. And even with saying that, I co-sign Here’s The Thing’s sentiment: I also discovered I really am not super hot on Avalon [the LP]. Yet still phenomenal.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:54:02 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3498 on: August 14, 2019, 10:33:36 am »
Really loved the Bryan Ferry show.
Very old crowd which makes sense given the age of the band, but for some reason still surprised me. Always encouraging to see people even older than me out at concerts on a Tuesday night.
Won the tix, and they were upstairs in level 3, but was able to stand on the floor at around row 5-ish off to the side, stage left, and had a great close up and unimpeded view.
Highlights for me were Dance Away and Do the Strand. Sax player was outstanding, as was Spedding on guitar.
Decent falafel/salad at Grazie Grazie nearby.

rich_WDC

« Reply #3499 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:57 pm »
Always encouraging to see people even older than me out at concerts on a Tuesday night.
I always get thrilled nowadays when I'm amongst the younger in the audience.   Was that last night at Stray Cats.

« Reply #3500 on: August 14, 2019, 01:43:04 pm »
Sax player was outstanding,
She stole the show. Really great.
LVMH

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3501 on: August 14, 2019, 02:18:40 pm »
Back to back DC and Baltimore Van Hunt solo shows were great.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3502 on: August 14, 2019, 04:06:37 pm »
Sax player was outstanding,
She stole the show. Really great.

We really are meshing here Jules. Feels good.

« Reply #3503 on: August 14, 2019, 06:16:33 pm »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:32:39 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #3504 on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:31 am »
Agreed on Bryan Ferry. You know, I saw the Roxy Music reunion in 2001, and I'd still say the last 2 Bryan Ferry tours I've seen are infinitely better. I think Roxy has as solid a discography as any legendary band. Any number of bands would KILL to have put out classic LPs like For Your Pleasure, Country Life, Siren, and the debut. That being said, Avalon was the LP that introduced me to Roxy and I think it was their gorgeous and maybe slightly anti-climactic conclusion when you know what the rest of their records are like. But that being said, it's still one of the ones I listen to most. I thought the song "Avalon" was just perfect. But there were so many highlights. Though they didn't play "Tara", on the last tour this was a highlight, especially if you like the sax player (I just call her Uma because she reminds me of Uma Thurman): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auvmY7LEOHk

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3505 on: August 15, 2019, 02:02:30 pm »
Ferry was indeed a very good show. Wife was surprised to "find out" that I listen to music like that. Only seems to remember the stuff she hates  ::)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3506 on: August 23, 2019, 06:03:37 pm »
Beck, Cage, Spoon, Bean.

TL;DR

Impossible Burger
Lights
Fire
Songs
Evacuation/Water Inflitration

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was an interesting night at MPP Thursday night for a 4 act bill on weeknight.

We had 2nd row seated-pit tickets and FWB VIP deck passes. This made it really easy to come and go from our seats to get food, drink and WC. Also, got some great close-up pics of Beck/Matt from Cage when they came over close to our seats. @jdgconcertgramz on instagram.

Sunflower Bean went on at 6pm. The parking lot for which I had a pass was set to open at 6pm, so I reserved a spot in an earlier-opening lot and headed over to MPP, parked and walked over in time to catch the show. They played for maybe 25 minutes? I like SB, saw them at WTMD event, and now this. I would like to see a headlining (DC9 or equivalent?) show.

Why does this show carry 4 bands when it could probably be Beck and Cage and still sell 92% of the seats?

After a short break, Spoon played at 6:40. 11 song set included John Lennon cover (Isolation). My girlfriend loves Spoon as do I. Joe thinks that they are boring.

After Spoon, we got food: the aforementioned Impossible Burger and a Pizza. Both were way better than expected.  While we were eating up there on the VIP deck, a staffer offered everyone happy-endings came around and warned us that lightning was headed our way and to stay alert.

We left the VIP in time to catch Cage's 3rd song. The stage was on fire. Actual fire. This band tours with a 3-tier stage, elaborate lights, pyrotechnics and a wonderfully unhinged front-man. The songs are catchy (though a little same-same sounding to me), but the show is insane. Masks (including but not limited to phantom of the opera type and fencing/beek-keeper type) hats, duct tape, and more. He basically wore 6 costumes onstage, and peeled them off one by one. But after a few songs the singer re-announced the lightning threat and said that they would play one more song and then clear out for awhile.

At around 8:35pm they finished their 7th song, and then walked off and an MPP staffer came out and made the evacuation announcement. All lawn and skylawn had to go to their cars. By that time the rain was pouring down and lightning and thunder were continuous. The staffer said that they would allow folks from the lawns back into the pavillion at 9:15pm.

The rain got so bad that most people on the sides and near the rear of the pavillion got soaked.  Water cascaded down the steps into the pit area. Water pooled, and the crew warned us pit-folk to stay out of the standing water due to electrical equipment potentially zapping us.

The pavillion folk were doing the wave and singing the 7 nation army chant, and generally being well-behaved.

By around 9:10 the crew was soundchecking Cage's guitars, and i think that they resumed around 9:20. They played 9 more songs. There were crazy lights, lasers, intense fogmachine, more fire on stage, more costume changes and janky dancing.

At the last song the singer (by now dressed only in old-school gym shorts, flesh-colored leggings, and sneakers) finished the song by wading into the crowd and traversing the pavillion and onto the lawn and then back into the pavillion while the Queen song (We are the Champions) played. That was around 10pm.

After that Beck took forever to come out, and started his set at around 10:35pm with Loser. His set was fine, mostly songs I really like, some cool lights, screens, mirrored beach-balls distributed in the crowd, but honestly, I was very tired and stressed from the rain/lightning event, the heat, and a long-week. I thought he would play for around 1/2 hour because of what I thought was an ironclad 11pm curfew (and that would have been fine for me), but he played until 11:35pm, ending with intense confetti-canon (right after we fled the pit to get a head-start on getting our cars).

I did see a lot of the IMP management team (no-seth), and everyone seemed fine, happy, no sullen-ness on display.

I recommend the Impossible Burger for sure.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3507 on: August 25, 2019, 04:55:37 pm »
Tame Impala

Twas very good. Best light show I've seen at Anthem.  High-fived Kevin on the way out.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #3508 on: August 26, 2019, 09:43:59 am »
Tame Impala

Twas very good. Best light show I've seen at Anthem.  High-fived Kevin on the way out.

Agreed. Attended both shows. Lights were something else. Kevin had a cold last night which may have hindered the vocal performance somewhat but I still thought they were outstanding.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3509 on: August 26, 2019, 10:29:02 am »
yah, great light show....much better than the last time I saw them.  I believe that was at the Black Cat?? 
(_|_)