Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1297388 times)

vansmack

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3615 on: September 30, 2019, 12:15:00 pm »
GWAR at Ramshead Live

We probably would have covered the costs for that had you digitally document it for us....
27>34

« Reply #3616 on: September 30, 2019, 12:18:31 pm »
GWAR at...  Luckily I positioned myself by the sound board and had minimal amount of liquid sprayed my way.
Umm...isn't that the reason for going to a GWAR! show?
it should be on everyone's bucket list to get one GWAR! show in, glad to hear they are still delivering it
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3617 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:28 pm »
The Jade Bird show at 930 on Saturday was fun. We won tix, so that was good, and my GF is recently post foot surgery, so 930 set us up with seating in the VIP level upstairs dead-center, which was nice. Show was good, she's a clever songwriter, and animated performer, and she covered radiohead and blondie to augment her relative lack of material. This was an early show, so I think we were out of there by around 9pm.

« Reply #3618 on: September 30, 2019, 01:04:56 pm »
d my GF is recently post foot surgery, so 930 set us up with seating in the VIP level upstairs dead-center, which was nice.
Pro-tip!
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3619 on: October 03, 2019, 03:04:22 pm »
PSA: This review will contain spoilers for the upcoming Sturgill Simpson show at the Black Cat. 

tldr version: Sturgill continues to do what he wants, when he wants, where he wants.  If you don't care for the new album or his new sound, sell your tickets now.  If you looked at the set list and are expecting even the inkling of a country show, sell your tickets now.  This tour is 111% a rock and roll show, and it was awesome!  Ear plugs are for the weak, but The Brand was quite pleased that I recommended she bring a pair with her.

It's also a charity show, and all the proceeds including the merch, go to the Special Forces Foundation for fallen soldiers, so there's that.

He and the band play the entire new Sound and Fury southern rock inspired album all the way through, in order, to start the show so give that a listen prior.  I would even recommend watching the Netflix Anime release that came out with the new album - anime is not my thing, and at parts it seemed unnecessarily violent and sexist, but there's a nice female empowerment turn and the credits help explain some plot holes, which apparently is par for the course when it comes to anime (or so I was told).  I doubt I watch it again, but it did help put all the story in the lyrics of the new album together.

Knowing that he shocked a few people with his rock opening, he tried to play a song "for the ladies" out of order and failed miserably, not once, but twice.  That was of course, The Promise and he apologized and said "I guess you'll have to get married again" which was no doubt directed at me and The Brand as it was our anniversary and The Promise was our first dance.  Clever bastard, that Sturgill.

So he decided to get back on script and play the set list as it was predetermined, with a mix of songs from High Top, Metamodern and Sailor's Guide, with a few covers mixed in (Willie Nelson being the most recognizable).  However, ALL of these songs were played with his new rock sound - there wasn't a lick of country, not even an acoustic guitar.  I absolutely loved it and The Brand did not (I'll share her thoughts later).  They jammed a lot and just rolled into the next song often, which was fine with me.   

Nearing the two hour mark, they went back and did The Promise, again for the ladies, but this time getting it right, but also making it a new version (I think he called it a swing version or something like that) which was nice, and then hit the highlight for me which was ripping through Call to Arms, which was apropos given the charity, but he infused T-Rex's The Motivator into it, and it just shredded.  Hard to leave after that and not be super pumped up!

As I mentioned it was awesome for me, but The Brand, being of the country ilk, did not.  Her thoughts: (1) why didn't he sing more?  He has a great voice. (2) was it so loud because the venue is so small?  (3) Miles was looking super cute (4) That version of The Promise was the best she's ever heard, but wished he had played the rest of his older songs like they are on the albums.

Enjoy Monday!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:10:16 pm by vansmack »
27>34

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3620 on: October 03, 2019, 03:12:41 pm »
PSA: This review will contain spoilers for the upcoming Sturgill Simpson show at the Black Cat. 

tldr version: Sturgill continues to do what he wants, when he wants, where he wants.  If you don't care for the new album or his new sound, sell your tickets now.  If you looked at the set list and are expecting even the inkling of a country show, sell your tickets now.  This tour is 111% a rock and roll show, and it was awesome!  Ear plugs are for the weak, but The Brand was quite pleased that I recommended she bring a pair with her.

It's also a charity show, and all the proceeds including the merch, go to the Special Forces Foundation for fallen soldiers, so there's that.

He and the band play the entire new Sound and Fury southern rock inspired album all the way through, in order, to start the show so give that a listen prior.  I would even recommend watching the Netflix Anime release that came out with the new album - anime is not my thing, and at parts it seemed unnecessarily violent and sexist, but there's a nice female empowerment turn and the credits help explain some plot holes, which apparently is par for the course when it comes to anime (or so I was told).  I doubt I watch it again, but it did help put all the story in the lyrics of the new album together.

Knowing that he shocked a few people with his rock opening, he tried to play a song "for the ladies" out of order and failed miserably, not once, but twice.  That was of course, The Promise and he apologized and said "I guess you'll have to get married again" which was no doubt directed at me and The Brand as it was our anniversary and The Promise was our first dance.  Clever bastard, that Sturgill.

So he decided to get back on script and play the set list as it was predetermined, with a mix of songs from High Top, Metamodern and Sailor's Guide, with a few covers mixed in (Willie Nelson being the most recognizable).  However, ALL of these songs were played with his new rock sound - there wasn't a lick of country, not even an acoustic guitar.  I absolutely loved it and The Brand did not (I'll share her thoughts later).  They jammed a lot and just rolled into the next song often, which was fine with me.   

Nearing the two hour mark, they went back and did The Promise, again for the ladies, but this time getting it right, but also making it a new version (I think he called it a swing version or something like that) which was nice, and then hit the highlight for me which was ripping through Call to Arms, which was apropos given the charity, but he infused T-Rex's The Motivator into it, and it just shredded.  Hard to leave after that and not be super pumped up!

As I mentioned it was awesome for me, but The Brand, being of the country ilk, did not.  Her thoughts: (1) why didn't he sing more?  He has a great voice. (2) was it so loud because the venue is so small?  (3) Miles was looking super cute (4) That version of The Promise was the best she's ever heard, but wished he had played the rest of his older songs like they are on the albums.

Enjoy Monday!

Excellent banter.
now I am sorry that I forgot this onsale completely.
who here is going to hook me up?

Space Freely

« Reply #3621 on: October 03, 2019, 03:19:36 pm »
Why do you refer to your partner as "The Brand?"

Is that a Cali thing?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3622 on: October 03, 2019, 03:31:49 pm »
GWAR at Ramshead Live

We probably would have covered the costs for that had you digitally document it for us....
Total missed opportunity.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #3623 on: October 03, 2019, 03:42:48 pm »

Enjoy Monday!

I can't wait for this...however, I'm a little worrisome regarding the ticket scenario.

+/- 700 people at willcall... I'm assuming that process alone goes from 6 to 8ish? Enough time to get everyone in and show time between 8:30 and 9?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3624 on: October 03, 2019, 04:18:06 pm »

Is that a Cali thing?

he does, it's a directorial thing, and a one-off: i don't know of any other californians (or anyone anywhere, really) that refer to the SO in this way. 
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #3625 on: October 03, 2019, 04:53:45 pm »

Is that a Cali thing?

Because "smackette" was already used, and it would be inappropriate to recycle that, so I sought alternatives from friends and colleagues. "The Brand" rose to the top...
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #3626 on: October 03, 2019, 04:59:03 pm »
I once had a friend in college who referred to the significant others of his friends as "associations."

vansmack

« Reply #3627 on: October 03, 2019, 05:04:38 pm »
I can't wait for this...however, I'm a little worrisome regarding the ticket scenario.

I too was concerned, but The Independent handled it pretty well, actually, albeit with 200 less people than the Black Cat.  Doors opened at 7, we got in line after dinner (Little Star for those in the know) at about 7:10-7:15.  I just showed them my ID and we were inside by 7:30, near enough to the front for our liking, plenty of time to enjoy a Tecate or two (The Brand had Cabernet).

They did not start right at 8, which I can only assume was because there were still some people outside in line.  There was no opening band, but an injured Vet came out to talk about the charity at around 8:15.  He only talked for a couple minutes then Sturgill was off and running...we were at the wine bar across the street by 10:20.
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #3628 on: October 03, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »
Did you have Tecate at the wine bar?

nkotb

« Reply #3629 on: October 03, 2019, 05:20:50 pm »
I was already pretty psyched about the show, but this got me psyched-er (?).  Thanks for the recap!