Author Topic: This DC band managed to get big names on their album. Help them release it.  (Read 3665 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: This DC band managed to get big names on their album. Help them release it.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:10 pm »
i think you're missing the point here - that's exactly what kickstarter is, a sort of fundraiser.  just like when you donate $50 to NPR and they send you a t-shirt.  are you going to complain that the t-shirt isn't worth $50? \

you don't use kickstarter to sell your merch at regular prices.

The fact that you're equating NPR's service with a local band's merch underscores that you completely missed my point.

then please explain it, 'cause your point is not obvious. 

i think my NPR example is quite applicable here - asking high prices for merch via kickstarter is asking for a donation.  in both cases the donor is handing over more than what the item he gets in return are actually worth.  there is an understanding that the difference is a donation.

i'm not saying that NPR is like a band, or vice-versa.  or that the mugs that NPR gives away are the same as a signed album.  i'm saying that the mechanisms for raising money are the same.

but please, tell me where i've missed your point.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: This DC band managed to get big names on their album. Help them release it.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »
Also remember that for a $25 donation, Kickstarter takes a 10% cut I believe, Amazon gets a cut and they ship the CD/Album/t-shirt to you as part of the price.  Yes it's still a bit of a premium, for a CD but then again you can always wait to it gets released to the public.   

I do however wonder about the likes of Amanda Palmer who took in 1.1 Million are kinda abusing the system for more than artist gain, that some serious money after manufacturing costs etc.

And even with all that money raised, she now isn't offering to pay local string and horn players that join her on stage.  What's famously bouncing around the internet is the offer of Hugs and Beer to join her on stage. 

With that said Alice Smith has a kickstarter going which I a backer of.  Fantastic Neo soul singer from DC...
T.Rex