Author Topic: angry thoughts thread  (Read 11550 times)

James Ford

Re: angry thoughts thread
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 11:13:15 am »
Naearly half (10 out of 22) of last night's songs were post-YHF.

I complained about it during the last Wolf Trap show...and hutch laid into me :(

no one's angry that Wilco's been doing the same setlist each time they are in the area?

To be honest, it seems like they've been playing the same songs over and over since YHF mixed with a few new tunes from each album. **stretchy yawn**

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 11:13:48 am »
It's official: The Republican Party of Texas opposes critical thinking. That's right, drones, and it's part of their official platform:

"Knowledge-Based Education ? We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student?s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/news/2012-06-27/gop-opposes-critical-thinking/

Forget the Republican/Democratic angle of this. Believe me, canning this is a good thing and I can hear the teachers (both Republican and Democrat) applauding this decision all over and hoping it comes their way. I am fully aware how absurd this sounds to the average ear but it means nothing whatsoever as it does in real life English language. This program is so convoluted and bizarre that what it did most was prevent learning. Forget any real critical thinking, it wasn't there. They make the teacher change the wording of any objectives and such that end up having nothing whatsoever to do with proper grammar. It was based on some made up idea of arranging wording that did not in anyway carry over into real life understanding. There were times when it was impossible to do it based on their made up rules where it made any sense whatsoever to the either the teachers or the students. But the teachers were usually forced to follow them anyway and then quietly explain them to the students in regular English so that the students knew what they were supposed to do. In most cases, the program did nothing whatsoever to aide in learning; however, it did plenty to prevent any sort of common sense learning. Good riddance!

atomicfront

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:50 pm »
blunderbuss is a great record..helps to listen to it.

you guys are being so "hip" you're embarrassing yourselves..

blunderbuss is a pretty boring record. 

atomicfront

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »
no one's angry that Wilco's been doing the same setlist each time they are in the area?

Wilco is the worst band of all time so I couldn't care less what they play. 

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »

Wilco is the worst band of all time so I couldn't care less what they play. 

Well, not THE worst, but they're up there. (or should that be down there?)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:53 pm »
It's official: The Republican Party of Texas opposes critical thinking. That's right, drones, and it's part of their official platform:

"Knowledge-Based Education ? We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student?s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/news/2012-06-27/gop-opposes-critical-thinking/

Forget the Republican/Democratic angle of this. Believe me, canning this is a good thing and I can hear the teachers (both Republican and Democrat) applauding this decision all over and hoping it comes their way. I am fully aware how absurd this sounds to the average ear but it means nothing whatsoever as it does in real life English language. This program is so convoluted and bizarre that what it did most was prevent learning. Forget any real critical thinking, it wasn't there. They make the teacher change the wording of any objectives and such that end up having nothing whatsoever to do with proper grammar. It was based on some made up idea of arranging wording that did not in anyway carry over into real life understanding. There were times when it was impossible to do it based on their made up rules where it made any sense whatsoever to the either the teachers or the students. But the teachers were usually forced to follow them anyway and then quietly explain them to the students in regular English so that the students knew what they were supposed to do. In most cases, the program did nothing whatsoever to aide in learning; however, it did plenty to prevent any sort of common sense learning. Good riddance!

If they made competence in the English language a requirement to attend public school the grade levels in America would sky-rocket. It's r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d that a teacher has to stand in front of a class of kids, a large percentage of which only speak Spanish or Creole (that's the case in in south FL anyway).

If a kid doesn't speak English, and English language class seems like a pretty logical idea.......no?

"No child left behind" is really "Bring all the kids down to the lowest common demoninator"

Jaguar

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:00 pm »

If they made competence in the English language a requirement to attend public school the grade levels in America would sky-rocket. It's r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d that a teacher has to stand in front of a class of kids, a large percentage of which only speak Spanish or Creole (that's the case in in south FL anyway).

If a kid doesn't speak English, and English language class seems like a pretty logical idea.......no?

"No child left behind" is really "Bring all the kids down to the lowest common demoninator"

I've always said that the theme song for that bogus 'No Child Left Behind' program, that you so rightly understand, is Ride's 'Leave Them All Behind'.

In reality, way too many of these programs are about dumbing down our kids rather them truly educating them. Number 682 on my list of reasons of why I quit teaching. In many of these systems, it's not even teaching anymore. Instead, it has more to do with corralling and babysitting than what one would assume. In fact, my last year of teaching, we had someone from the State tell us that teachers falsely assume that the main goal of teaching was 'critical thinking' (but not the Orwellian type in the program design mentioned above.) Hey, because that's what they (the State) use to tell us. He admitted to us that they could not care less about that. Instead, he said that the ONLY thing they cared about was that these kids would show up to work once they got out in the work force. That's it. Period. That they show up. Actually, that was pretty evident from what we witnessed within the schools themselves. That they showed up. Nothing else.

Now I can't say that all schools or systems are like that. There are way too many of them out there to believe that they are such cookie cutters and I do know that there are still some good ones left. I can only say that the the schools I was in perfectly fit the devolution totally dumbed down minimum security prison type of warehousing that is no good at all for anyone. I would never, ever allow my child to set foot in such halls of horror. In fact, I'd home school if all else failed. At least they'd have a chance at learning something productive.

By the way, except for maybe one or two teachers that I knew, they were all democrats and they all hated this program with a deep passion because they knew how ass backwards and ineffective it was. Anyone who thinks this is a dem/rep issue is being mislead and hasn't a clue what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:53:15 pm by Jaguar »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »
you guys really need to smoke some pot.

(my only post in this thread)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »
My impression of Hutch:

What? There are people who don't like music I like? They're pussies and are wrong and are embarrassing themselves! Seth is crazy for not booking Latin rock! Natural DC shows don't belong in Richmond!

Latin Rock???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNW7WtOoVw

Tell me you weren't bopping in your seat before the first minute was up....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »
hutch is expert in this type of music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx64_N4AA04
(_|_)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 01:49:36 pm »
The 'Freebird' of Latin rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAWPrCUQQ0

Vas Deferens

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »
(_|_)

atomicfront

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 03:35:06 pm »

I've always said that the theme song for that bogus 'No Child Left Behind' program, that you so rightly understand, is Ride's 'Leave Them All Behind'.

In reality, way too many of these programs are about dumbing down our kids rather them truly educating them. Number 682 on my list of reasons of why I quit teaching. In many of these systems, it's not even teaching anymore. Instead, it has more to do with corralling and babysitting than what one would assume. In fact, my last year of teaching, we had someone from the State tell us that teachers falsely assume that the main goal of teaching was 'critical thinking' (but not the Orwellian type in the program design mentioned above.) Hey, because that's what they (the State) use to tell us. He admitted to us that they could not care less about that. Instead, he said that the ONLY thing they cared about was that these kids would show up to work once they got out in the work force. That's it. Period. That they show up. Actually, that was pretty evident from what we witnessed within the schools themselves. That they showed up. Nothing else.

Now I can't say that all schools or systems are like that. There are way too many of them out there to believe that they are such cookie cutters and I do know that there are still some good ones left. I can only say that the the schools I was in perfectly fit the devolution totally dumbed down minimum security prison type of warehousing that is no good at all for anyone. I would never, ever allow my child to set foot in such halls of horror. In fact, I'd home school if all else failed. At least they'd have a chance at learning something productive.

By the way, except for maybe one or two teachers that I knew, they were all democrats and they all hated this program with a deep passion because they knew how ass backwards and ineffective it was. Anyone who thinks this is a dem/rep issue is being mislead and hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

teachers are overpaid

Jaguar

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 03:52:47 pm »
teachers are overpaid

Ha!!! See, that's another across the board broad assumption that those who know nothing whatsoever about the job choose to assume based on completely biased and misguided mouth pieces with other political agendas.

On the whole, some are paid very well. Don't know if it's still true but many in Pennsylvania were paid very welll. Then when you look at many other states and/or counties, you will find ridiculously low pay.

In my case, after 13 years of teaching, a bachelors degree partly in Education (k-12), 2 masters degrees, along with extra graduate work, and the top level of advanced certification I still made LESS than $50,000 per year.

To be honest, they could offer me a million a year and I would never, even for a moment, consider going back. It has more to do with all of the other complete crap, and DANGERS I had to put up with, than the money.

I would love for those who think they know so much about these hellholes to have to go in and teach for a full year before they opened their traps. I can guarantee you that they would come out very frustrated and with more of a different kind of knowledge than they went in with.

atomicfront

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 05:00:10 pm »
average salary is over 60k in baltimore area, i believe.  they have great benefits and have the summer off.  masters degrees in teaching are easy and the school system pays for them.  The majority of local taxes goes to teachers.  I know many people making 80+k teaching in baltimore area.   Work a full year and get the same amount of days off as any other public worker.

I wouldn't complain so much about their salary but when i went to school in howard county, teachers seemed to be getting in the way of my education.  Slowing everything down to their level.   I hated high school so much because I wasn't really learning anything.  Thank god in college you actually have intelligent professors who care about what they are doing and reward independent thinking. 

as for the hell holes... why did you teach there?  You can teach in baltimore city in the hell holes without even a teaching degree.  Seems with your qualifications you could qualify for a better school district. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:01:58 pm by atomicfront »