Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863294 times)

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1455 on: November 10, 2015, 01:48:54 pm »

Ironically, Anarchy in the UK just came on the radio as I was reading your post.
catchy tune...although most would argue, not punk ;)
so I guess that is ironic
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1456 on: November 10, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »

« Reply #1457 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
quoting RS on this board always increases your street cred
anyone else want to chime in here...

Also, let me be clear on this eve that mr lydon is in town for an intimate gig at UStreet (thanks seth)
I love the pistols
that 930 show they did 2003 was one of my favorite rock shows at the club
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:01:45 pm by SideBiach |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1458 on: November 10, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »
quoting RS on this board always increases your street cred
anyone else want to chime in here...

Also, let me be clear on this eve that mr lydon is in town for an intimate gig at UStreet (thanks seth)
I love the pistols
that 930 show they did 2003 was one of my favorite rock shows at the club

I was quoting Rolling Stone in the context of your "most" argument. I assumed you were using "most" in a quantifiable context, so I simply picked a music publication that has MANY readers.

Just because some little fanzine that you may have subscribed to 25 years ago said the the Sex Pistols weren't punk doesn't mean it's so.

« Reply #1459 on: November 10, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
?If you have to ask what jazzPunk is, you'll never know.?

― Louis Armstrong just about anyone who listens to "punk music"
slack

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1460 on: November 10, 2015, 02:21:16 pm »
So we recently watched Love and Mercy, and my wife couldn't stop commenting on how badly punk rock sucks when compared to real musicians like Brian Wilson.

Me, I'm sort of neutral regarding punk. I went to hardcore shows in the late 80's more for the scene than the music. I have the Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys on my ipod but never listen to them anymore.

Does anybody have a musicological defense of punk based on musical merit alone?
I really loved that movie, but alas I am a major Beach Boys nerd and 60's nerd in general.   I'm struck by how multi-talented many bands were back then...ie so many bands seemed to have multiple members that could really play and really sing.  Not sure we see that as much any more.

But.

I'm still love punk rock through and through.  I went to tons of show mid 80's through late 80s too...to me that music is all aobut the guts and the aggro.  Some holds up better than others of course, but I still rock the Misfits, Germs, Discharge, Bad Brains, Clash, etc etc etc on the regular.

Space Freely

« Reply #1461 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:57 pm »
So we recently watched Love and Mercy, and my wife couldn't stop commenting on how badly punk rock sucks when compared to real musicians like Brian Wilson.

Me, I'm sort of neutral regarding punk. I went to hardcore shows in the late 80's more for the scene than the music. I have the Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys on my ipod but never listen to them anymore.

I really loved that movie, but alas I am a major Beach Boys nerd and 60's nerd in general.   I'm struck by how multi-talented many bands were back then...ie so many bands seemed to have multiple members that could really play and really sing.  Not sure we see that as much any more.

But.

I'm still love punk rock through and through.  I went to tons of show mid 80's through late 80s too...to me that music is all aobut the guts and the aggro.   Some holds up better than others of course, but I still rock the Misfits, Germs, Discharge, Bad Brains, Clash, etc etc etc on the regular.

You sound like you're talking about stock car racing.  ;)

hutch

« Reply #1462 on: November 10, 2015, 03:04:15 pm »

But.

I'm still love punk rock through and through.  I went to tons of show mid 80's through late 80s too...to me that music is all aobut the guts and the aggro.   Some holds up better than others of course, but I still rock the Misfits, Germs, Discharge, Bad Brains, Clash, etc etc etc on the regular.

You sound like you're talking about stock car racing.  ;)

James Ford where you been?? You're back to being an annoying dickhead I see...

Space Freely

« Reply #1463 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:40 pm »
I have to laugh when I hear middle aged men talking about guts and aggro, as if its' a good thing. Probably the reason we're in multiple wars around the world.

ggw

« Reply #1464 on: November 10, 2015, 03:12:51 pm »
I feel the same way about the Dead. They were the perfect soundtrack (and lifestyle) for a certain time in my life.  But I don't have the same passion for them anymore. I did the whole touring thing - selling veggie burritos and nitrous.  It was awesome. I had a steal your face on my 1984 Volvo wagon and on my 1979 Mercedes 300 SL.  I still have hundreds of hours of boots. But they don't speak to me any longer.  Maybe if I still took copious quantities of drugs.  

Relaxer

« Reply #1465 on: November 10, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »
I still take copious quantities of drugs and I love the Dead and punk still.

Advantage: me
oword

hutch

« Reply #1466 on: November 10, 2015, 03:16:29 pm »
I have to laugh when I hear middle aged men talking about guts and aggro, as if its' a good thing. Probably the reason we're in multiple wars around the world.

yes, well we can't all be at the early show on Friday night congratulating ourselves on our most responsible behavior...

Space Freely

« Reply #1467 on: November 10, 2015, 03:17:07 pm »

Good luck at enjoying the grandkids.

Space Freely

« Reply #1468 on: November 10, 2015, 03:18:14 pm »

yes, well we can't all be at the early show on Friday night congratulating ourselves on our most responsible behavior...

Why not, will you be busy driving two hours to Charlottesville to see Jonathan Richman?

Relaxer

« Reply #1469 on: November 10, 2015, 03:19:00 pm »

Good luck at enjoying the grandkids.

Watching kids wrestle when you're on drugs is like gazing at a 3D fleshy lava lamp.
oword