Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 888346 times)

hutch

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2175 on: July 10, 2020, 07:58:38 am »
Anybody understand how this works? Even Neil Young says Trump legally has right to use his songs!? How can it be that a Trump licenses these songs without Neil’s approval?

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/news/nation-world/neil-young-upset-trump-used-his-songs-at-mount-rushmore-event/507-9dc601c0-b229-4ee8-9778-12e95be7a2c2

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2176 on: July 10, 2020, 08:12:49 am »
Anybody understand how this works? Even Neil Young says Trump legally has right to use his songs!? How can it be that a Trump licenses these songs without Neil’s approval?

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/news/nation-world/neil-young-upset-trump-used-his-songs-at-mount-rushmore-event/507-9dc601c0-b229-4ee8-9778-12e95be7a2c2

My guess would be that if the venue that's being used has a blanket song licensing agreement than any song covered by that is fair game.  it's also possible campaigns are paying for their own blanket song licensing agreements... 
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #2177 on: July 10, 2020, 08:21:21 am »
The venue licenses songs? And gets to play them on TV for tens of millions of people?

There is a venue in North Dakota at Mt Rushmore?

And he is always using You can’t always get what you want...every venue he speaks at has licensed this song?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2178 on: July 10, 2020, 08:34:52 am »
Yes most music venues, etc pay a blanket fee to songwriting orgs in order to covered for any song used there.  They don't have to report what is specifically played and supposedly royalties are spread out to all songwriters.

Would think that any broadcast network is going to have the same arrangement.

https://www.ascap.com/music-users/types/bgt-landing-page-2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwdKgiNjC6gIVlq_ICh3XDgKqEAAYASAAEgJ45fD_BwE 
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #2179 on: July 10, 2020, 08:52:59 am »
Well I had no idea..that explains a lot

Thanks

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2180 on: July 10, 2020, 09:13:03 am »
It's also why you'll hear certain radio stations in places like doctor's office, although I'm not sure how prevalent this is anymore... but certain stations provide a service where  a business can broadcast it and not run a foul of the licensing org as the station pays the fees and pass along costs to businesses.
T.Rex

« Reply #2181 on: July 10, 2020, 09:31:51 am »
You know what is an odd music royalty issue...hold music
I had a client years ago who wanted to play the Eagles Greatest Hits (against my critical advise mind you) on his hold music and he was willing to pay to be legit

Apparently this is next to impossible to do legally with the system we had, so royalty-free crap was all we could use
that's why you so often hear classical music...lots of royalty-free stuff out there

Not even supposed to play the radio...The current fine for playing radio music on hold is $1,500

slack

« Reply #2182 on: July 10, 2020, 09:34:03 am »
It's also why you'll hear certain radio stations in places like doctor's office, although I'm not sure how prevalent this is anymore... but certain stations provide a service where  a business can broadcast it and not run a foul of the licensing org as the station pays the fees and pass along costs to businesses.
I'd bet 9 times out of 10 they are breaking a law they didn't realize exists
Services like Musak were invented for this type of stuff
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2183 on: July 10, 2020, 09:40:36 am »
I'd bet 9 times out of 10 they are breaking a law they didn't realize exists
Services like Musak were invented for this type of stuff

yup was thinking of muzak, but radio stations were doing this as a alternative to muzak... would guess spotify, etc have similar services at this point. 

not sure how much enforcement is done at the non music related businesses, but you will hear of a bar, etc that runs afoul of every once in awhile..
T.Rex

« Reply #2184 on: July 13, 2020, 02:18:47 pm »
Anyone looking for someone to teach them how to play bass?

https://www.instagram.com/joelally898/

Not 100% sure this is real
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2185 on: July 13, 2020, 02:36:00 pm »
I mean, that looks like a legit bass to me.

hutch

« Reply #2186 on: July 13, 2020, 02:42:53 pm »
I am FB friends with Joe...someone posted the ad and Joe hasn’t taken it down...he does participate on his FB so I think it’s totally legit

I think it would be great fun to take lessons from him...

Space Freely

« Reply #2188 on: July 18, 2020, 09:27:14 am »
This critic has been waiting his whole life to use this line....

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-the-pretenders-hate-for-sale-review-20200715-f3oa67bfubhhhb2eciwemm23cm-story.html

Review: Hynde-sight is 2020 for the Pretenders’ ‘Hate for Sale’

hutch

« Reply #2189 on: July 18, 2020, 09:43:06 am »
Wow I need to get it