Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 897249 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #3525 on: April 18, 2024, 06:26:16 pm »
Taylor name checks The Blue Nile’s “Downtown Lights” on the new album… watch the streams go through the roof

“Drowning in The Blue Nile
He sent me "Downtown Lights

I remember in the 80s how A Walk Across The Rooftops often showed up on the favorite album lists of other more famous musicians. Maybe Blue Nile will finally have their mainstream day.

I have *three* CD singles of Downtown Lights: two different promo singles (acquired promotionally) and an adorable 3" one.
😐 🎶

Hutch

« Reply #3526 on: April 18, 2024, 07:45:02 pm »
I loved their Hats album! Great music for unwinding at night and going to bed!

Haven’t listened to it in decades though

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3527 on: April 19, 2024, 10:14:25 am »
That time Luther Vandross released a Heavy Metal album

The band was named Luther and was recorded post his work with Bowie and with some of the same musicians.  It's being reissued and I learned today that "Fascination" was a lightly re-written Vandross song "Funky Music(Is A Part of Me) which is reprised on this album.

T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #3528 on: April 19, 2024, 10:36:57 am »
Bowie was definitely a great borrower and user and really doesn’t get enough credit for that….

Hutch

« Reply #3529 on: April 25, 2024, 08:05:20 am »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3530 on: April 25, 2024, 09:01:33 am »
Dream set list

https://www.sugarmtn.org/sm_show.php?show=202404240
HOLY FUCK. Wish it was Cowgirl in the Sand and not Down By The River but HOLY FUCK. So hyped for this now.
LVMH

Hutch

« Reply #3531 on: April 25, 2024, 09:34:33 am »
Am sure will be some changes here and there

Yada

« Reply #3532 on: April 25, 2024, 10:02:14 am »
Camden vs. Combo wilderness/neil trip to Utah... JLL ain't in the cards

Hutch

« Reply #3533 on: April 25, 2024, 11:07:50 am »
So you are considering seeing Neil at Camden or Utah? Is this what you are say?

You are taking shorthand posting to a whole new level!

Hutch

« Reply #3534 on: April 25, 2024, 11:09:38 am »
My roadtripping days for concerts may be over….i was thinking i should go to Belle and Sebastian at the National in Richmond last night but just couldn’t do it….

Yada

« Reply #3535 on: April 25, 2024, 11:37:49 am »
Well, I have a personal conflict on JLL night... not even sure I could suck it up to go there even if I was free.

Camden would be a quick up and back or stay in Philly a night.

Utah would be a combination family vacation trip... file under my first mention of a potential vacation

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3536 on: April 25, 2024, 11:43:41 am »

Utah would be a combination family vacation trip... file under my first mention of a potential vacation
You definitely posted vacation photos before because that’s how I found your account on one of those photo sharing sites and then backwards engineered it into you and your wife’s legal names, address, and work history a few years back.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3537 on: April 25, 2024, 11:53:30 am »

You definitely posted vacation photos before because that’s how I found your account on one of those photo sharing sites and then backwards engineered it into you and your wife’s legal names, address, and work history a few years back.

Yikes

Yada

« Reply #3538 on: April 25, 2024, 11:55:00 am »

That was admirable... glad I have you and your exes info as well just in case.

Hutch

« Reply #3539 on: April 25, 2024, 11:58:48 am »
I am so glad people have this irrational fear of JLL! I think it half accounts for the great seat I got! Or maybe it just really sucks for people in the Maryland burbs…

I avoid big shows generally and they don’t book much interesting but it’s just not that bad. The much ballyhooed drive is stay on 66 and don’t turn steering well…compare that with death race escape from the district 2000 on 495

Last show I went there with sidehatch (Pixies, Weezer) we had zero issues…I mean yeah we bailed on Weezer but coming in nothing happened…I mean we were in like flint. They have added multiple lanes on 66! Just go in a group and use HOV for free…

I went to quite a few shows in the aughts when I was going to shows 3-4 times a week and it just wasn’t an issue. They built another access road. Trying to think of who I saw there since 2006….Petty twice…Heart, Journey, Depeche Mode….Aerosmith….Black Sabbath with Dio/Judas Priest…..I think Motörhead were on that bill too….some crazy metal bill with RATT and Poison…Motley Crue and KISS. These were all fun shows..pretty much all just cross them off the list one and done…I used to have a friend in West Falls Church (RIP Randy) and he went there a lot and new the play…zero issues ever getting in and out… I sound like I give a shit about whether people want to go there or not but I just think it’s the utter stupidity of the FEAR of the lube that gets me…it’s a fucking shed..

Only issue for me is nobody wants to go with me! I bet I go to Neil alone. People hear Lube and crap pants

The days of having to wait three hours in the lot after the show have been over for a quarter century and yet its reputation as this nightmare experience persists….

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 12:05:21 pm by Hutch »