Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 1024852 times)

Space Freely

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #3600 on: June 13, 2024, 02:05:16 pm »
Who in the hell is, Chappell Roan, and why should I listen to them, and like them?

My straight female daughter keeps talking about her.

I caught a bit of her act on the Coachella livestream and she was a NO for me. But I'm not a 16 year old girl.

Blow, me, Joey

« Reply #3601 on: June 13, 2024, 02:14:22 pm »
All I know, is that she said no to Biden, blew the fuck up out at The Governor's Ball, and now is deleting all her old TikTok videos of herself dancing in her room with sexy clothes and cowboy boots on.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3602 on: June 13, 2024, 02:42:38 pm »
All I know, is that she said no to Biden, blew the fuck up out at The Governor's Ball, and now is deleting all her old TikTok videos of herself dancing in her room with sexy clothes and cowboy boots on.

She played here about two weeks before Governors Ball at Browns Island which is like 8,000 people GA and tickets were going for like $450 day of. She’s having a moment.

Also apparently bi girls are not allowed to bring their straight boyfriends to the shows because it’s denigrating a “safe space” according to quite the kerfuffle online.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #3603 on: June 13, 2024, 02:44:31 pm »

I'm not sure what the Biden thing is about, but anyone to the left of Paul Ryan or Dick Cheney needs to come together than get their ass behind Biden in 2024.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3604 on: June 13, 2024, 05:47:52 pm »
so i had never heard of a "chappell roan" was, so i googled her.  at the very top of the search results page, before the first result, the googles wrote:

Did you mean: Your Favorite Artist's Favorite Artist

does this mean i'm a bi teenage girl?
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3605 on: June 13, 2024, 06:12:46 pm »
Chappel Roan said at the festival appearance she turned down a White House invitation to preform at a Pride Month event. She said “We want liberty, justice, and freedom for all. When you do that, that’s when I’ll come,”.  I’m guessing Biden didn’t personally invite her and it’s it seems like someone taking a stance and not necessarily an outright snub.

And inevitably a female artist who has a meteoric rise is of course labeled an industry plant.   Glossing over the fact she been at it since 2014 and signed to Atlantic records in 2017 and that year went on the road with Vance Joy.

Definitely having a moment as she has been moved from a tent to a main stage at Bonnaroo. 
T.Rex

« Reply #3606 on: June 13, 2024, 07:35:01 pm »
does this mean i'm a bi teenage girl?
I was always suspicious you were, this confirms it
slack

« Reply #3607 on: June 13, 2024, 11:01:18 pm »
so apparently this happened
slack

hutch

« Reply #3608 on: June 14, 2024, 12:12:03 am »
I have been dreading this since they broke up….

I think they are Sphere-worthy
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 12:29:58 am by hutch »

Mobius

« Reply #3609 on: June 14, 2024, 08:21:19 am »
Looks like they are playing Losing My Religion. Pretty cool that what inspired reunion is being recognized for songwriting. Like they are at a place where they can cut through everything and are taking pride in the songs they made together

hutch

« Reply #3610 on: June 14, 2024, 08:36:31 am »
That’s me in the corner trying to avoid hearing “Losing my religion “….(for the one billionth time)

Yada

« Reply #3611 on: June 14, 2024, 09:10:30 am »
Not sure if classic rock is the right description,  but I'll be the first to say that the early 90s radio/mtv absolutely killed any appreciation for that era of REM, primarily Out of Time, hello Shiny Happy People!!!

I remember thinking as a wee lad, "is this fucking music." Automatic for the people is a perfect album... and then those later releases that I ignored until the last 5/10 years have some absolute stellar tunes IMO.

Mobius

« Reply #3612 on: June 14, 2024, 11:18:29 am »
If you loved ‘college rock’ R.E.M., Shiny Happy People (and Stand before it) and the goofy showman persona big label Stipe took on (and the new fanbase) were impossible to process . . .but Shiny Happy People really is a great song . . .and with a few tweeks really wouldn’t be out of place on Life’s Rich Pageant.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3613 on: June 14, 2024, 11:35:55 am »
If you loved ‘college rock’ R.E.M., Shiny Happy People (and Stand before it) and the goofy showman persona big label Stipe took on (and the new fanbase) were impossible to process . . .but Shiny Happy People really is a great song . . .and with a few tweeks really wouldn’t be out of place on Life’s Rich Pageant.
I prefer the Sesame Street re-recording.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3614 on: June 16, 2024, 06:51:37 pm »
I took in Chappell Roan from the Roo on the Hulu.. and I cannot lie she writes great anthemic pop bangers. But, clearly not at point to be able to hire background singers and keyboard players as there was heavy use of a backing track… clearly that doesn’t phase her audience…
T.Rex