Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 895105 times)

evilizac

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #3360 on: November 09, 2023, 01:42:27 pm »
Q1-Yes,  expect him on piano for the most part.  Caution:  some folks aren't fans of his phrasing-I like it as long has he brings the energy.  He'll make one of his standards sound new!

Q2- He's playing 9 songs from the new record and then a smattering..Basically the same list every night i.e. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2023/capitol-theatre-port-chester-ny-43a1a30f.html.  If you're a Grateful Dead fan, he's got three of their songs in the rotation.

Q3-Agree with Hutch^and Saturday works better for me.

Q3-approx. $2,500 capacity; any seat's a good one

I do find it ironic that some folks, friends of mine, who have seen him in the past ten or so years, complain that he sounds bad and you can't tell what songs he's playing. I think that besides his songwriting, he's always been known as an idiosyncratic interpreter of both his and other people's songs. As for his voice, I get how that can be a slap in the senses if you're completely unaware of how his voice has changed since even the 80s. If for a listener, he's a Classic Rock act, resigned to his Classic Rock era, then of course you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I think that my wife's only disappointment is that he probably won't play Maggie's Farm.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:45:07 pm by evilizac »
WHAT?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3361 on: November 09, 2023, 01:53:23 pm »
he sounds bad and you can't tell what songs he's playing...I think that my wife's only disappointment is that he probably won't play Maggie's Farm.

It doesn't matter. You won't be able to tell.

Seriously. Don't go. It's bad.

« Reply #3362 on: November 09, 2023, 02:23:51 pm »
I think that my wife's only disappointment is that he probably won't play Maggie's Farm.
he did just play it a few weeks ago...but that was rare for over a decade
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2023/ruoff-music-center-noblesville-in-3ba39404.html

slack

Bagley

« Reply #3363 on: November 09, 2023, 02:32:51 pm »
you never know...you may not have the opportunity again

Hutch

« Reply #3364 on: November 09, 2023, 04:38:55 pm »
Doh! I thought there was an artist named Dylan Meyerhoff! Sorry, been a long week.

I would strongly advise you go. Don’t believe the naysayers….in Dylan terms he is singing more clearly than in decades…just listen to Rough and Rowdy Ways before you go…you will enjoy it unless you are expecting his 60s hits

Obviously at this point every tour could be the final one..physically he is more frail and all on stage…

Hutch

« Reply #3365 on: November 09, 2023, 04:57:45 pm »
Basically the band is playing a bit lower volume and this helps Dylan’s vocals be more clear.

I do not see Bob touring into his 90s like Willie.

He is 82 and a half!

This is it.

« Reply #3366 on: November 11, 2023, 03:19:13 pm »

Fun fact: Denver wrote the song while in Georgetown
slack

Hutch

« Reply #3367 on: November 11, 2023, 04:14:14 pm »
I think Bill Danoff wrote it mostly….

Danoff also wrote Afternoon delight

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3368 on: November 14, 2023, 11:59:46 am »
How not for me to care about your musical output, announce an album to be released in January 2025...

I had done a courtesy re-follow on bluesky for a musician who just announced this, needless to say i've unfollowed them.. they were a bit annoying honestly tbh
T.Rex

« Reply #3369 on: November 16, 2023, 11:40:22 am »
Just here to drop a shot of a teenaged Dr. John sporting a guitar (which he would play with professor longhair when he was like 15!)
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3370 on: November 16, 2023, 01:34:39 pm »
I guess the whole try to come up with a unique name for your group is really gone by the wayside... I noted awhile back the numerous Birthday Girl groups on Bandcamp.  Today i see around 20 groups going by (The) Dream Machine on Bandcamp, three in the Netherlands alone.  I guess as long as one is in a different genre/city/country it's all fair game...  At least we have Wet Dream Machine out of Eugene Oregon, not feeling to need to verify if there is only one by that name  ;D
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3371 on: November 22, 2023, 05:22:39 pm »
Those wacky The Hives are seeking to franchise themselves out so local cover bands can preform as them around the world.. I have a buddy who could be totally up for that
T.Rex

« Reply #3372 on: November 24, 2023, 11:14:06 am »
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3373 on: November 24, 2023, 11:56:38 am »
Okay, dude, here's your new part. It shows 82 bars of whole rests and has three page turns but at least you don't have to count anymore, right?
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶