Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 1057159 times)

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #3750 on: September 27, 2024, 03:58:08 pm »
in a related story...Prince's purple rain AirBnB

Prince’s Purple Rain House Listed on Airbnb for $7 Per Person
https://consequence.net/2024/09/prince-purple-rain-house-airbnb
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3751 on: September 30, 2024, 10:22:25 am »
Yikes not a good look all around

Lincoln venue apologises for treatment of male gig-goers at Last Dinner Party concert

Men who attended planned concert alone tell how they were searched and asked ‘condescending questions’ by security

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/sep/30/lincoln-venue-apologises-treatment-of-male-gig-goers-last-dinner-party-concert
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3752 on: September 30, 2024, 10:37:38 am »
Lee Mavers performed live last night in a UK record store where they recorded the gig straight to tape/vinyl

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAhIMPzsovV/?igsh=bXB0Znk0YnUwdGg3&img_index=1

He did the gig with his kids

T.Rex

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #3753 on: September 30, 2024, 12:23:55 pm »
Is there an issue going on in the crowds at Last Dinner Party gigs?

Lincoln venue apologises for treatment of male gig-goers at Last Dinner Party concert

Men who attended planned concert alone tell how they were searched and asked ‘condescending questions’ by security

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/sep/30/lincoln-venue-apologises-treatment-of-male-gig-goers-last-dinner-party-concert

« Reply #3754 on: September 30, 2024, 12:33:26 pm »

That's crazy,
but after years of women getting hassled for stupid stuff, I think this is acceptable ;)

I think TLDP should have owned it and been like, fuck those single creepy dudes, they better be able to name at least 3 of our songs before they get entry
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3755 on: September 30, 2024, 04:31:40 pm »

their crowds are predominantly female, and at at least one recent show they had a problem with dude(s?) showing up to grope, harass, etc.  this venue's security's response was to interrogate single dudes to determine "if they belonged", i.e. if they were fans of the band.

I think TLDP should have owned it and been like, fuck those single creepy dudes, they better be able to name at least 3 of our songs before they get entry

first, putting an entire group under a spotlight because of a few bad apples isn't a good look, RE: the above-linked article.

second, a former version of myself feels targeted.  there was a time when i had more time and opportunity to just roll up to the black cat or 930 and take a chance on whoever was playing that night (i would listen to 2-3 songs beforehand to determine if there was at least the possibility i would enjoy the show).  so back then, it would have been entirely possible for me to walk into this show without knowing much about the band... and for this i would have been taken to a dark room and asked what the hell i was going there??  i'm in favor of ensuring that fans of this band can enjoy the show safely, but not at all convinced this is the right way to do it.
<sig>

« Reply #3756 on: September 30, 2024, 05:00:12 pm »
I was joking, forgot to put the sarcasm font on

this was bad decision for the venue and TLDP are right to call them out on it
It sounded like an onion article, I can't believe mgmt at the club thought this was a good idea

as an old dude who attends a lot of shows fronted by women, I felt targeted
although Yada on more than one occasion accused me of being a pervert, so maybe he got a new job?

I probably would have been able to name my favorite song...
and would have a had a hard time with this question " to name my favourite song"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 05:05:56 pm by Multivisti-hatch lııllı|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

evilizac

« Reply #3757 on: October 02, 2024, 12:52:49 pm »
Not sure if this has been addressed before, but I was wondering if anyone had leads on how to find newer bands that are pulling influence from classic bands. Being failed by the algorithms lately. Are there current bands still influenced by say Velvet Underground, Pavement and Yo La Tengo and general garage rock and psych or did that all peter out with bands like Foxygen, Cymbals Eat Guitars and King Gizzard (who seems to be the one to rule them all at this point).
I attempt to enter those earlier touchstones into systems and seem to get mainly 60s bands. Also looking for newer reference points when making ads for prospective bandmates, but I might as well be a shuffling zombie with my current batch of touchstones. My most recent like is a band called The Moonjacks doing like a slacker, weed-head punk thing. Trying to throw a broader net pulling from older and younger folks, but I've always leaned older, even when I was young so it's difficult to put into words, bands that might resonate younger people.
But of course, rock is officially dead and gone.   
WHAT?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3758 on: October 02, 2024, 01:29:16 pm »
Rock is far from dead...

If you want a group that is appealing to an older and younger crowd try starting with DC's own Bad Moves, lots of classic 70s power pop influences in their early records

and honestly the new Jack White is just so very very good...

I also really like this EP from Starbelly's Cliff Hillis and Dennis Schocket they basically run the gamut of different flavors of power pop
https://cliffhillis.bandcamp.com/album/pop-girls-etc

and while it's controversial  i still enjoy that car crash of a record by Liam Gallagher and John Squire...

latest Ash, Mysterines albums rock out as well..

Still checking out this Irish band called Bedrooms who are drawing comparisons to Galaxie 500 and Pavement.
https://bedroooms.bandcamp.com/album/perfectly-still

bunch of great bands from Philly as well... 2nd Grade, The Tisburys, Hurry, and The Blackburns

almost forgot but Shadow Show is a great Detroit based female garage rock inspired band

Hello Mary rocks pretty hard as well and looks like they have a new album on the way.
T.Rex

evilizac

« Reply #3759 on: October 02, 2024, 01:42:43 pm »
Rock is far from dead...

If you want a group that is appealing to an older and younger crowd try starting with DC's own Bad Moves, lots of classic 70s power pop influences in their early records

and honestly the new Jack White is just so very very good...

I also really like this EP from Starbelly's Cliff Hillis and Dennis Schocket they basically run the gamut of different flavors of power pop
https://cliffhillis.bandcamp.com/album/pop-girls-etc

and while it's controversial  i still enjoy that car crash of a record by Liam Gallagher and John Squire...

latest Ash, Mysterines albums rock out as well..

Still checking out this Irish band called Bedrooms who are drawing comparisons to Galaxie 500 and Pavement.
https://bedroooms.bandcamp.com/album/perfectly-still

bunch of great bands from Philly as well... 2nd Grade, The Tisburys, Hurry, and The Blackburns

almost forgot but Shadow Show is a great Detroit based female garage rock inspired band

Hello Mary rocks pretty hard as well and looks like they have a new album on the way.
Thank you for all of that. Might be in the middle of a general dour cloud and sure I could listen to my liked songs on Spotify, but that feels a bit like having your favorite meal, for every meal, for a month straight. After awhile it's all a blur. It's nice to pick live peoples' brains for something new and interesting.
WHAT?

hutch

« Reply #3760 on: October 02, 2024, 02:02:09 pm »
Can someone explain how Floyd only got $400 million? Is it cause it doesn’t include the songwriting?

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/pink-floyd-sells-music-rights-to-sony-400-million-1236165925/

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3761 on: October 02, 2024, 02:14:44 pm »
Well, see the Cars got $1.2 Billion and 1 Car = 3 Floyds.

hutch

« Reply #3762 on: October 02, 2024, 02:18:42 pm »
I have to believe the cars number is wrong….there is just no way…if they got that it would be like the deal of the century

I wonder where Ric’s money goes…he cut out ex wives, children…

He was apparently one bitter dude

hutch

« Reply #3763 on: October 02, 2024, 02:33:37 pm »
If rock isn’t dead cause of Ash, Squire, Liam and Jack White god help us…those dudes are pushing 25-35 years in music.

I want to believe young kids will always start out jamming on Chuck Berry tunes but I don’t believe it. They start out fiddling around on laptops. Whether one calls that rock or not I can’t say.

Are there revivalists out there mining the same veins as people 50-60 years ago? Sure. But less and less and to less and less folks. And it’s not very original.

Bing Crosby was the biggest American singer of the first half of the 20th century. His music and type of singing are now deader than typewriters.

My definition of rock music is “the music of the young”….its not really a type of music but a feeling or spirit. The type and instruments that awaken that feeling or spirit continually evolve.

evilizac

« Reply #3764 on: October 02, 2024, 02:52:54 pm »
If rock isn’t dead cause of Ash, Squire, Liam and Jack White god help us…those dudes are pushing 25-35 years in music.
Solid point. I mean, I think that the last rock revival was thanks to the rock music as video game craze and what bands emerged out of that. . ? Greta Van Fleet? I would hope that there are kids out there interested in musical instruments (being a band nerd adult), but there are folks out there using AI and calling themselves composers. 
WHAT?