Author Topic: 25 Douchiest Bars In DC  (Read 15848 times)

imbecile

Re: 25 Douchiest Bars In DC
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »
Isn't the fact that a keg of Hopslam lasted a week proof that the place is filled with hipster douchebags?

Maybe we just have differing ideas about what qualifies one as a douchebag.

Hutch, for example, in his thrift store Members Only style leather jacket, qualifies as a hipster douchebag. You know, the kind of person who would get all pissy that his kid chose to be born the same night that some swinging Latin band was playing the State Theater, thus causing him to miss the gig. The kind of person who would pay to see bands five nights a week and drink shit beer and complain about paying $8 for a good beer.

The Red Room actually has quite a good craft beer selection for what it is (a bar at a rock club).  It's quite underrated, always about 5 good craft selections down there which go below most peoples radar.  Which is fine by me.  I've never gone there and not found something worth drinking and was able to enjoy it without being surrounded by douchebags (I too agree the red room has no place on this list); bonus points that I go upstairs and get to see a show afterward. 

Didn't a keg of hopslam last over a week there earlier this year?

I can't say much for hutch, as I don't know him at all.

I think you've got it right on the differing types of douches. 

There are hipsters aplenty at the red room, which I have no problem with, unless they start drinking all the delicious beers.  I generally consider a douchebag to be the fratboy/bro-type/overly loud/manly-man types who infest adams morgan and other related environs (or people with infants in Sticky Rice, but that's a whole different story).  Hutch probably shares a similar mindset and thus we don't think the Red Room is very douchey.

Back to the list though.. why is TruOrleans on this list?  It's literally a block away from where I live and I've been there a number of times.  It's generally, a pretty standard restaurant which I've never seen people really go to for the bar scene.  It's not that good, yes, but it's not douchey either.   

hutch

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

Hutch, for example, in his thrift store Members Only style leather jacket, qualifies as a hipster douchebag. You know, the kind of person who would get all pissy that his kid chose to be born the same night that some swinging Latin band was playing the State Theater, thus causing him to miss the gig. The kind of person who would pay to see bands five nights a week and drink shit beer and complain about paying $8 for a good beer.

Well, this is just a complete lie but another characteristic of a douchebag is making shit up on a music board behind some anonymous facade.

My son was born five days after the band in question which played the Howard but I think its real low of you to pull that out.

And I don't pay to see bands five nights a week..more like once a week; and sometimes I pay and sometimes I don't.  and when I feel like drinking I drink and I pay for the pleasure. Heck last week I had three DC Braus at the Amadou show.

The bottom line is you came on here and started spouting bullshit about a bar you don't even go to which makes you an utter douchebag.

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 03:45:36 pm »
I think I made it pretty clear that my opinion of the Red Room was formed by my actually having been there, on numerous occasions.

Well, this is just a complete lie but another characteristic of a douchebag is making shit up on a music board behind some anonymous facade.

My son was born five days after the band in question which played the Howard but I think its real low of you to pull that out.

And I don't pay to see bands five nights a week..more like once a week; and sometimes I pay and sometimes I don't.  and when I feel like drinking I drink and I pay for the pleasure. Heck last week I had three DC Braus at the Amadou show.

The bottom line is you came on here and started spouting bullshit about a bar you don't even go to which makes you an utter douchebag.

hutch

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »
I think I made it pretty clear that my opinion of the Red Room was formed by my actually having been there, on numerous occasions.

Yeah... numerous times BEFORE the smoking ban... when was the last time you were there dude??? 2005???? SEVEN FRIGGIN' years ago? Ten? Give me a break.

Heck , just the fact Al Budd bartends there makes it a cool place.. and if you've been around DC and you know who's how you'd know that.

But making shit up about my son.. that doesn't make you just a douchebag. that makes you an ASSHOLE.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »
Back to the list though.. why is TruOrleans on this list?  It's literally a block away from where I live and I've been there a number of times.  It's generally, a pretty standard restaurant which I've never seen people really go to for the bar scene.  It's not that good, yes, but it's not douchey either.   

Hmmmm...maybe YOU'RE the douche? ;) Just kidding.
3MTA3

James Ford

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »
Smoking ban went into effect January 2007. Clearly, you weren't a math major.
Sorry, my bar attendance has notably declined since the birth of our child in 2007. Actually, since the start of the pregnancy in 2006.

Yeah... numerous times BEFORE the smoking ban... when was the last time you were there dude??? 2005???? SEVEN FRIGGIN' years ago? Ten? Give me a break.

Heck , just the fact Al Budd bartends there makes it a cool place.. and if you've been around DC and you know who's how you'd know that.

But making shit up about my son.. that doesn't make you just a douchebag. that makes you an ASSHOLE.

Yada

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

nkotb

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »
In all fairness, I think you got the story a little off here:

It was me, in a thrift store "Master of Puppets" tee, that got pissy that my stupid kid was born and I missed a show.  It wasn't at the State Theatre; it was at the Hotel.  And it wasn't some swinging Latin band; it was the Hot Snakes.

In my defense, she's cute and all, but it was the goddamn Hot Snakes!!!!

Isn't the fact that a keg of Hopslam lasted a week proof that the place is filled with hipster douchebags?

Maybe we just have differing ideas about what qualifies one as a douchebag.

The Red Room actually has quite a good craft beer selection for what it is (a bar at a rock club).  It's quite underrated, always about 5 good craft selections down there which go below most peoples radar.  Which is fine by me.  I've never gone there and not found something worth drinking and was able to enjoy it without being surrounded by douchebags (I too agree the red room has no place on this list); bonus points that I go upstairs and get to see a show afterward. 

Didn't a keg of hopslam last over a week there earlier this year?

hutch

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 05:20:22 pm »
Smoking ban went into effect January 2007. Clearly, you weren't a math major.
Sorry, my bar attendance has notably declined since the birth of our child in 2007. Actually, since the start of the pregnancy in 2006.

Oh gee I was off by one year...sue me

And who knows when the last time was you were there? Six years ago? Seven? Ten? But you're qualified to say douchebags hang out there?

Get a clue.

Not to mention getting me confused with NKOTB.

Go fuck yourself, douchebag.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:22:51 pm by hutch »

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 05:21:41 pm »
I'm here for the butt hurt
‼‼?‼‼

atomicfront

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »
When I was single (which lasted about 3 months a couple of years ago) I choose bars based on how attractive the chicks who frequented the place were.  I think those places attract a lot of people others consider douchebags.  While not hipster douchebags because those guys don't really do well at those type of places but your general every day douchebag.  But I really didn't care.  Why should I?

I think a better list would be which bars have the hottest chicks.  As I am having my bachelor party in a month this information could be useful  ;D

hutch

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »
When I was single (which lasted about 3 months a couple of years ago) I choose bars based on how attractive the chicks who frequented the place were.  I think those places attract a lot of people others consider douchebags.  While not hipster douchebags because those guys don't really do well at those type of places but your general every day douchebag.  But I really didn't care.  Why should I?

I think a better list would be which bars have the hottest chicks.  As I am having my bachelor party in a month this information could be useful  ;D

I'd say in DC the international women can be pretty smokin'... not sure what bar they go to...some of those on the list for sure like Citron

azaghal1981

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »
If it is any consolation, the Hotel's incompetent sound douches and their subpar system ruined the Hot Snakes show.

Well kind of. They still played well.

But I can promise you this. That was the absolute final time I set foot in that godforsaken anus of a rock and roll club.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »
Can we get this guy to replace the Red Room for the Blowtel?

azaghal1981

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 11:27:07 pm »
I am not a big drinker but have heard that the upstairs bar at the Blowtel is decent.

Actually, I did go up there once when they were running late with doors downstairs and it was not bad.

But there is nothing redeeming about the concert space but this thread isn't about that.
احمد