Author Topic: MD to the Big 11  (Read 11783 times)

BrettnotBritt

Re: MD to the Big 11
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »

If these men's sports are such cash cows why do the students have to contribute 25 million a year and they still can't make ends meet?  Your whole logic is wrong. And the Men's football team payed two coaches last year millions of dollars.  And they won 2 games.  Pathetic.  I am sure they got paid a lot more than the womens basketball team.

And zero return?  They won a championship.  I am sure people go to their games.  Just because it doesn't interest you it might interest others.  If it were about making money than they would need 25 million from students to begin with.  And they have to have womens sports by law.  So I am sorry that you are a sexist but the women's sports will continue to exist as long as there are mens sports. 

My college didn't even have a football team and we were able to have all those stupid olympic sports you so detest. Including 9 women's sports.   Football programs are insanely expensive and I think you overestimate their contribution to the MD atheletic program.  You don't care about the atheletic budget anyway.  That is obvious.  It would be fine with you if they eliminated everything but men's football and men's basketball, I am sure.  So why not go one step further and eliminate all scholarship sports?  They could certainly not have a defecit?

LOL at the sexist remark - I have nothing against any of the women's sports (outside of women's water polo, a sport that should have never been at UMD in the first place). Women's basketball just doesn't generate revenue and create net positive cash flow into the AD. We're talking about dollars and sense here, that's all I was pointing out. But keep making silly accusations.

hutch

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »
american football is not a "sport".

Relaxer

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »
Is it a sandwich?
oword

hutch

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 03:25:57 pm »
American Football does not meet the criteria of what is sport:

Sport (or, in the United States, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants.

and

Definition
See also: Game#Definitions
Show Jumping, an equestrian sport

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport

Relaxer

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 03:30:52 pm »
So boxing, hunting, fencing, lacrosse, and any other game that may involve an injury such as basketball, baseball and every other one, aren't sports?
oword

hutch

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
So boxing, hunting, fencing, lacrosse, and any other game that may involve an injury such as basketball, baseball and every other one, aren't sports?

Yes and no.

Boxing is certainly not a sport under the definition of sport whatever people may think...

As far as the others goes, it is completely different when the injury is accidental than when it is being caused on purpose as a regular part of the game.

Now rugby, that, is a sport.

I don't know about hunting...

hutch

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:53 pm »
But there is nothing "sport" about this... this is murder... that is what it is..

http://www.realclearsports.com/2012/11/16/039smoking_gun039_in_nfl_concussions_107284.html

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »
can we change the name of this site to:

"as hutch's mind turns"

hutch

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 06:20:01 pm »
can we change the name of this site to:

"as hutch's mind turns"

yeah i noticed. :-[

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 09:47:57 am »

"American" football is the ONLY football, the other GAME is professional kickball.  They do some neat tricks with the ball but all the GAME boils down to is 1)running and 2) kicking a round ball into a HUGE net.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 09:50:04 am »
American Football does not meet the criteria of what is sport:

Sport (or, in the United States, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants.

and

Definition
See also: Game#Definitions
Show Jumping, an equestrian sport

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport

You highlighted on a PARTIAL quote.

FUKIT

Relaxer

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:54 am »

"American" football is the ONLY football, the other GAME is professional kickball.  They do some neat tricks with the ball but all the GAME boils down to is 1)running and 2) kicking a round ball into a HUGE net.

and 3) rolling around screaming in pain after tripping over a blade of grass.
oword

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:19 am »
Soccer sucks.

atomicfront

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 11:58:05 am »

As person who has played a lot in adult kickball leagues, I am offended that you are comparing soccer to kickball.  Please kickball is so much more than soccer.  We actually try to score and we don't fake injuries. 

Relaxer

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 12:23:47 pm »
Kickball is genuinely and truly the most dickless, retarded activity that does not involve fish. Its only purpose is for lumpen human pillows to claim, Oh yeah I play sports, KICKBALL bro! Doing a jigsaw puzzle burns more calories than playing kickball.
oword