Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143306 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:24 am »
I am way too impatient to age my own whiskey but I liked reading that site.

At first I thought it was promoting Belle Meade whisky, which I see on shelves sometimes. There's a Belle Meade bed & breakfast our near Culpepper/Sperryville that I always see when I'm driving to Old Rag Mountain and I always like to think that they're a distillery as well as a B&B.

As for the $200 bottle, that is extravagant but sometimes you drop the extra cash for front row seats or dura ace components or a bottle of booze that is legally old enough to make long sweet love to. There are many excellent whiskeys available for under $50 and I could drink them forever and be okay with that.
oword

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2013, 10:22:12 am »
or a bottle of booze that is legally old enough to make long sweet love to. 
nice!
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 03:39:57 pm »

Pretty much the only bourbon that could tear me away from the WT Forgiven bourbon-rye mash-up is the Forester Birthday Bourbon. This just may top my Best Whiskeys of the Year list, a list that I was inspired to make because of this whiskey.

Heavy sweet influence of caramel and vanilla. I read it described somewhere as 'cream soda in a bottle' and that's not too far off. It's 98 proof so it's not so strong that you can't enjoy a few glasses of it. Apparently it's very difficult to find, but I got it from www.drinkupny.com with no problems and I'm about to order a few more. Excellent drink.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 03:46:28 pm »
So I am guessing you would recommend I buy this for my husband for Christmas?  He is still figuring out what he likes.  So far, Woodford Reserve for an every day bourbon, Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace for mixed drinks, and four roses/angels envy/jefferson.

Oh and the blends from a brand that now escapes me.

K8teebug

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »
I just bought it for him.  I figured you would say yes and the flavors that are described are exactly the ones he loves in all the favorite bourbons so far. 

Relaxer

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »
Excellent choice. If my wife bought a bottle of this for me, I'd immediately suspect she was having an affair with an incredible man and I would be happy for us both.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:28 pm »
And while I'm typing, I will say that your first post left me dangling. Four Roses/Angels Envy/Jefferson.... for what? Because I love all three of those and they are among my first recommendations when someone says "So what's a good bourbon for around $40?" especially the Angels Envy and Four Roses.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »
I continue to type. I feel like Knob Creek, for the price, is so overrated, overly expensive and just not all that. There are so many whiskeys, in my opinion, that are better and cheaper. For example, Bulleit usually runs $10 cheaper, is available everywhere including Safeway, and is much better. Elijah Craig 12 Year is another very very good one, and usually runs less than $25. Old Grand Dad 114 is another that is economical yet packs a real nice punch.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:40 pm »
Exactly.  He's trying the ones around the 40 dollar range to start.  Elijah Craig is next on his list.

K8teebug

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:21 pm »
I think he bought Knob Creek just for one to mix with things.

K8teebug

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
I started the whole thing when my friend gave me a shot of Red Breast and I said "I don't like whiskey" and he said "you do now".

So I bought that, and then he started researching bourbon and now we need to buy a bar for all the new liquor in the house.

K8teebug

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »
High West.  That's the other one I was trying to remember.

Relaxer

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:38 pm »
I just finished a bottle of the High West Double Rye and really loved it, it's now probably my favorite rye. Took the plunge on a bottle of Whistle Pig Rye out of Vermont, we'll see about that one. Redemption Rye is okay but not really worth the $30, I think.

Other bourbons in the $40-$50 range you ought to try are:

oword

K8teebug

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2013, 05:05:31 pm »
Blantons is on our list.  Hadn't heard of the other two! 

I want to start a conversation about them, but I'm afraid he will find out about the Birthday Bourbon and try to seek it out.  He always tries to buy his presents before I give them, and I have to let him know about them.

K8teebug

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »
the High West double rye is what I've had and I liked it alot.  We have another one at home that is also very good.

That Birthday Bourbon sounds amazing from the reviews I've read and has made a bunch of top 5 lists.  Thanks for letting me know where to order it because it's all sold out from the distributor in MD and I'd have to go hunting.