Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141992 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2014, 04:10:49 pm »
I've had a few new ones recently, thought I'd share impressions.

K8teebug, you inspired me to get that Redbreast and I liked it a lot, though not enough to delve into Irish since my love for bourbon runs strong. Then in the span of 10 minutes, I read about this new ulrta-rare Irish whiskey and then had an email from Dinkupny offering it up. It's very good and worth seeking out, plus it's under $50, which is a nice price for a premium whiskey. Strongly recommended if you like Irish. If you don't or are new to it, I'd start with the Redbreast.

A major disappointment, especially at $65 a pop. Redemption is a new-ish brand that's made a mark, in my opinion, due more to its nifty looking bottles than what's inside. I haven't disliked their regular iterations of bourbon or rye but they're both just kind of 'there' and there's options that are so much better. I had a feeling this 121 proof bottling might have the special something... and, nope. It's just overly hot, middle of the road rye. It is possible to do high proof whiskey that still has nuance and charm -- just get a bottle of Bookers, which is a Jim Beam juice for Christ's sakes -- and Redemption is not that.

And really, why drink mediocre drink when there's all these hidden gems out there just waiting to be discovered. The Johnny Drum almost looks to me like one of those dusty $8 bottles you see on the bottom shelf, so the $35 price tag was a leap even though I'll drop twice that on a whim. I don't really subscribe to the chin-stroking "Oh hmm hmm, I detect notes of virgin apples dancing with rutebaga" but instead say, I keep coming back to this. It's really kind of fun and tasty, surprisingly smooth for a 100+ proof, and it's pretty fun to say "Johnny Drum."

I'm pretty sure I already wrote about this one, but I just have to reiterate how good this is. The marketing "story" behind it is pure bunk but I swear, a glass of this is candy in a bottle. Probably my most loved whiskey of the past year and a half (which is around when I started to get into this stuff seriously).
oword

stevewizzle

« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »
i very much enjoy these posts.

i dont go through whiskey bottles quick enough to keep up with the purchases you and others make, but shit, in the moments i've been at a bar and just want a glass of whiskey, i typically know where to go.

Yada

« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2014, 05:11:03 pm »
Best bang for your buck right here...

http://www.thekitchn.com/best-bargain-booze-old-overhol-130359

Been on an Old Fashioned kick drinking this guy lately... my mouth is currently watering thinking of one.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »
My latest Manhattan iteration is the Best Drink I've Ever Had:

(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2014, 02:11:02 pm »
After that Few Rye won Whiskey Advocate's Craft of the Year, I grabbed some and it is really great. I must say, however, that the High West Double Rye just hits me in the perfect place so that tends to be my go-to, but I should try the Few again.

That Vermouth looks intriguing. Is it called Antica Formula? I would love to try it. Is it a sweet or dry or all its own thing?

Someone turned me onto Fee Bros. bitters and I instantly fell in love. Love the smoky spicy texture it brings.

oword

HoyaSaxa03

(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2014, 03:19:41 pm »
Thanks.  I'm going to try that.

K8teebug

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2014, 03:20:28 pm »
I have heard that Few's Rye is great, but their bourbon is meh.  Thoughts?

We finally tracked down a bottle of Blanton's.  Now we just need to find Black Maple Hill.

K8teebug

« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2014, 03:23:08 pm »
I will look into that Irish Whiskey!  I just got a bottle of 2 Gingers just to make hot toddys and for sipping when I"m in the mood for an Irish Whiskey and it's pretty good.  A little on the sweet side, but sometimes I'm in the mood for sweet.

http://www.2gingerswhiskey.com/wp-content/plugins/age-verification/age_verification.php?redirect_to=http://www.2gingerswhiskey.com%2F

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2014, 03:24:17 pm »
Anyone else loving yellow chartreuse and mezcal right now??
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »
http://postprohibition.com/liquor-cabinet/carpano-antica/
^^
I have two bottles sitting in my wine fridge. Definitely have to be careful which drinks you use it in place of standard sweet vermouth, but when it's right it's right.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:08 pm »

Only $32 at drinkupny, and that gets you a 1L bottle. The guys in my mailroom here at work are getting a little fed up with me constantly having these heavy "FRAGILE" boxes delivered to me, so I will probably swing by Schneiders on my ride home and see if they have it there. In fact, I think I'll get the full list of ingredients Hoya posted and go to damn town.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »
I have heard that Few's Rye is great, but their bourbon is meh.  Thoughts?

We finally tracked down a bottle of Blanton's.  Now we just need to find Black Maple Hill.

I've never had the bourbon, just the rye.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

Only $32 at drinkupny, and that gets you a 1L bottle. The guys in my mailroom here at work are getting a little fed up with me constantly having these heavy "FRAGILE" boxes delivered to me, so I will probably swing by Schneiders on my ride home and see if they have it there. In fact, I think I'll get the full list of ingredients Hoya posted and go to damn town.

I just bought all of those ingredients at Schneider's on Monday night, so you'll be fine. The Few Rye was hiding up on top of / behind the whiskey wall.
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »

Also, if anyone is looking to try an excellent bourbon without breaking the bank, the Elijah Craig is a tremendous deal. It's 12 years old and goes for under $30 -- it's listed right now at drinkupny at $27. An excellent bargain for a great bourbon.
oword