Author Topic: Things that are a waste of money  (Read 10970 times)

vansmack

Re: Things that are a waste of money
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »
One from my wife:

strippers

Easy for her to say - she can get just about any chick she wants.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 01:47:50 pm »
a lot of these suggestions are stupid.... less concerts? if you enjoy them, why?? who is to say what life is for?

but one i think makes sense: don't buy a book when it just comes out..wait a year or two and you can have it for a few bucks on amazon...

atomicfront

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »
a lot of these suggestions are stupid.... less concerts? if you enjoy them, why?? who is to say what life is for?

but one i think makes sense: don't buy a book when it just comes out..wait a year or two and you can have it for a few bucks on amazon...

Even more true for video games.  Who pays 60 bucks for a video game?

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 01:54:34 pm »

Depends. Non-fiction is often of a timely manner, especially when about tech. And many fans of fiction want to be the first to read the latest from whomever, just like us music lovers.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »

Depends. Non-fiction is often of a timely manner, especially when about tech. And many fans of fiction want to be the first to read the latest from whomever, just like us music lovers.

There is this thing called the Library. 

hutch

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:23 pm »

90% +of books... do you really need to read that george washington bio the day it comes out and pay $20 when you can have it for $5 or so a few months later... or the Smiths bio

I've never understood the pack mentality of  I have to read this at the same time as everyone else... I'm going to read Rushdie's memoir but I can wait a few months....

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 01:59:03 pm »

Even more true for video games.  Who pays 60 bucks for a video game?

easy . . . the parents of the kids who play them.  true gamers never pay retail for games.  why would you?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 02:02:58 pm »

90% +of books... do you really need to read that george washington bio the day it comes out and pay $20 when you can have it for $5 or so a few months later... or the Smiths bio

I've never understood the pack mentality of  I have to read this at the same time as everyone else... I'm going to read Rushdie's memoir but I can wait a few months....

why should we pay you for what you do for a living.  just do the job today, and your boss can wait an extra month or so to pay you half what he should because he can find somebody else to do what you did two months ago for fifty percent the cost now.  and fuck you too. 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 02:09:46 pm »

Yup. Been working in one for over ten years. But being a research library, we have very little contemporary fiction. Always lots of new non-fiction, of course.

Public libraries are generally terrible for recent non-fiction. Nowadays, many are measured for their worth by circulation stats instead of the value and breadth of their collections. So the collections librarians bring in lots of copies of  contemporary fiction that the mainstream public check out in droves. This keeps the circulation stats up and the know-nothing bean counters happy.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »
I don't  buy books from amazon because I like to keep local jobs.  It is nice to go to a bookstore and browse. If I can't find it locally then I go to amazon. 

atomicfront

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »

Yup. Been working in one for over ten years. But being a research library, we have very little contemporary fiction. Always lots of new non-fiction, of course.

Public libraries are generally terrible for recent non-fiction. Nowadays, many are measured for their worth by circulation stats instead of the value and breadth of their collections. So the collections librarians bring in lots of copies of  contemporary fiction that the mainstream public check out in droves. This keeps the circulation stats up and the know-nothing bean counters happy.

I think Enoch Pratt can get you just about any book you want.  You do know if a branch doesn't have it on the shelf they can order it from another branch for you? 

James Ford

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 02:12:42 pm »
My point with the concerts was a less is more theory.

If you go to a show every night of the week, it becomes more of a habit or a lifestyle than something you're doing for enjoyment of a specific show.

The same goes for beer. I like to go out now and then to try new beers at a craft beer bar. But if I did it every night of the week (even limiting myself to one or two), it would grow old fast.

The same goes for anything, really. At least imo.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 02:18:32 pm »

Yes, books about the past can usually wait. Books about the present often can't.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 02:22:31 pm »
My point with the concerts was a less is more theory.

If you go to a show every night of the week, it becomes more of a habit or a lifestyle than something you're doing for enjoyment of a specific show.

The same goes for beer. I like to go out now and then to try new beers at a craft beer bar. But if I did it every night of the week (even limiting myself to one or two), it would grow old fast.

The same goes for anything, really. At least imo.

Going to a show ever night does seem like it would be boring.  Like don't you have a life.  I guess if you were in the local scene and were in a band it would be cool to support the other bands in the scene by seeing their shows as well.   But in the end it is entertainment.  If you are being entertained by going to see a band every night I wouldn't see it as a waste of money...more a waste of a life.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
Inter-library loan is not available everywhere and often costs money. Patrons might be able to recall checked-out books but they might still have to wait two weeks until they can get it. Or there might be a wait list for the title. Or it's non-circulating. Or... Or... Or....

Sometimes you just gotta buy it.
😐 🎶