Author Topic: Vfest Sales  (Read 4759 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Vfest Sales
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 08:01:00 am »
how about you announce the schedule so we can all decide who we'll actually be able to see.

I realize you say you can see every set but lets be real.  No ones going to go running back and forth 10 times a day.

Its a $400 commitment to a couple who may go both days. I'd at least like to know which bands i'll have a good chance at seeing!

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 09:23:00 am »
Yea, I think I would have a good time, I did in 2006, but stil...

And the scedules are important.  I was very upset to not be able to catch all of RHCP and the Lips' sets in 2006, so before I spend all that money, I'd like to know which of my favorites I won't be able to see due to schedule conflicts.

Any idea when those might be released?

Also, what's going on as far as major additions to the lineup?  I like this lineup, but I think it'll take one more big name for me to want to spend the money.  If you happen to swing Beck, Weezer, or, god hoping, Prince, as a new addition, I will buy my ticket from you personally.

hutch

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »
I'm kinda heartbroken beause I really want to see Chuck Berry and the Silver Beats... but thats about it on Saturday for me.. and I just don't know we're going to do... to pay $200 for Chuck Berry and the Silver Beats is a lot... but thats not the organizer's problem but mine...

wml7

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »
There won't be no more big name annoucements.  This dud is it.

hutch

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »
I don't see how Sunday can be considered a dud....

The problem is saturday.. if Chuck Berry was Sunday I'd be there in a heartbeat...I'd even strongly consider the VIP seats... but it did not work out that way which is a real bummer as I've been wanting to see Chuck Berry since I stupidly missed his show at the 930 about 12 years ago...

I'll could end up going because its hard to pass up the man who really has had the most to do with shaping rock and roll music... or I'll not go and fly out to St. Louis to see him at the Duck Room for $25....

Shadrach

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:

Originally posted by DriveWay:
  I'm not sure I want to pay $100 to see Foo Fighters do a greatest hits set.
oh i bet they'll play more than 3 songs! [/b]
This must be sarcasm, right?

Foo Fighters have had a string of hits all of which have received considerable airplay...

Big Me
  Monkey Wrench
  Learn To Fly
  My Hero
  Everlong
  Times Like These
  Low
  The Pretender
  Breakout
  Best of You
 No Way Back
   Walking After You
  Long Road To Ruin

killsaly

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »
Im excited for both days, though not as much as previous years.  Why all the hate for Saturday?  you got Lupe Fiasco, Wilco, Gogol Bordello, Cat Power, DJ Dan with Donald Glaude, Jack Johnson, Chuck Berry, Soulwax, UNDERWORLD??? those right there are worth at least 100 to go see.
 Sunday looks a little better.  Im worried there are going to be conflicts between STP, Bob Dylan, and NIN.  But also, Richie Hawtin, Chromeo, RITM, Lil Wayne, BRMC, Andrew Bird, She & Him, the Stooges, Shudder to Think, deadmau5, and the Black Keys???
 Its going to be a good weekend.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:

Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:

Originally posted by DriveWay:
  I'm not sure I want to pay $100 to see Foo Fighters do a greatest hits set.
oh i bet they'll play more than 3 songs! [/b]
This must be sarcasm, right?

Foo Fighters have had a string of hits all of which have received considerable airplay...

Big Me
  Monkey Wrench
  Learn To Fly
  My Hero
  Everlong
  Times Like These
  Low
  The Pretender
  Breakout
  Best of You
 No Way Back
   Walking After You
  Long Road To Ruin [/b]
i have a feeling the foo fighters are a band that rarely has trouble with making their setlist long enough.

the real trouble for them is to make sure that they dont end up having multiple songs in a row that sound almost exactly the same.

which reminds me of the moment in Nirvana's Unplugged concert where Kurt talks about not being able to play "Polly" and "Dumb" back to back becausr they're "the same fucking song."

wml7

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »
Foo Fighters have a shit load of songs.  Every song they play will be something you know unless it's an obscure song.  Great, vfest.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »
Isn't it generally true for any band that every song is either something you know, or something obscure?

serpent boy

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by killsaly:
  Im excited for both days, though not as much as previous years.  Why all the hate for Saturday?  you got Lupe Fiasco, Wilco, Gogol Bordello, Cat Power, DJ Dan with Donald Glaude, Jack Johnson, Chuck Berry, Soulwax, UNDERWORLD??? those right there are worth at least 100 to go see.
Haha, Jack Johnson.

hutch

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
well I have seen Wilco a bunch of times back when they were a good fun rock and roll band...including one of the most fun shows i ever seen when 0ld 97s opened for them at the 930...

Cat Power I saw live in Buenos Aires and she is a disgrace.. she spent the entire show having a freak out and giggling to herself... she's dead to me... it was beyond embarassing and i didn't feel as bad for myself as for the others in attendance you had forked over their cash in the midst of an economic depression to see this embarassment..

Smalltime indie bands just don't work in the sun and heat in a festival environment.. in a festival you need velvet revolver or beastie boys... hands in your pockets practioners of the stephen malkmus/pavement ist rad disinterested semi-detached look just don't work at these big shows..its like when i saw nick cave in 94 at 1 pm in the heat at lollapalloza at charleston racetrack in west virginia..it was a disaster and turned cave off to touring in the US for years.. you need someone that wants to rock. (i will be at the cave show at the 930)

Also I've seen Underworld back when they had the third member who i think was called darren emerson... saw them at the 930 club.. very nice show... not sure what seeing them again will add as they haven't written a great song since emerson left.... wish it were not true but that don't make it so..Also must admit just not into the dance scene anymore

serpent boy

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by wml7:
  There won't be no more big name annoucements.  This dud is it.
Every major festival (Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lolla, ACL) has had additions. I agree that there won't be any more "big name" announcements, but maybe we'll luck out and get a solid rock band or two.

Last year, they added Panic at the Disco, Explosions in the Sky, Dan Deacon, and Girl Talk - and the latter three were solid. This year's lineup is lacking rock bands, so maybe we'll get The Gutter Twins or something.

serpent boy

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
I agree with most of what you said, hutch, but Chan Marshall has gotten a lot better live. I think she is, for the most part, past that stage fright phase. Check out any of her recent sets in support of Jukebox.

BookerT

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by hutch:
 its like when i saw nick cave in 94 at 1 pm in the heat at lollapalloza at charleston racetrack in west virginia..it was a disaster  
are you crazy? nick cave spasmodically writhing on the stage in in the mid-day sun in front of 30,000 or so puzzled onlookers was a great moment!