Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 30154 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »
I like Esquire now and then.

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:02:00 am »
where is GGW?

thirsty moore

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 09:08:00 am »
Probably off at Jackson Hole, Kiawah or the Hamptons.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 09:09:00 am »
Probably on some trip hiking up peaks 15 miles a day, taking smoke breaks on the hour.

Originally posted by very sonick:
  where is GGW?

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »
Hope you all didn't rush out and buy the old one...

Kindle 2.0: ""is significantly thinner, has a better screen, is more stylish and includes fixes to some of the user interface annoyances"

And the rumor is it's coming in around $249.  Now that's much closer to the smackie approved $199 price point.  Look for it in September.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »
cooool.  glad i waited then.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Kindle 2.0: ""is significantly thinner, has a better screen, is more stylish and includes fixes to some of the user interface annoyances"

And the rumor is it's coming in around $249.  Now that's much closer to the smackie approved $199 price point.  Look for it in September.
fantastic. that's good news for my christmas wish list.
nothx

walkonby

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »
i can't wait for some overinflated fisher price toy to replace your christmas wish list.

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i can't wait for some overinflated fisher price toy to replace your christmas wish list.
i cant wait til you get bored of posting on here.

walkonby

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by very sonick:

Originally posted by walkonby:
i cant wait til you get bored of posting on here. [/b]
this thread or this place?

my boredom will be replaced by downloadable bit maps of brain function causing me to seek enlightenment from the trees and rocks and blades of glass glistening with morning mountain dew.

Driveway

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »
I saw my first Kindle on the metro last week.  I just don't see the point.  iPod's make sense.  I can listen to my collection without taking a binder of 600 cds with me.  Who carries more than one or two books with them at a time?  Not me...

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by DriveWay:
  I saw my first Kindle on the metro last week.  I just don't see the point.  iPod's make sense.  I can listen to my collection without taking a binder of 600 cds with me.  Who carries more than one or two books with them at a time?  Not me...
Newspapers and magazines...gotta add those.

At any point in the day, my bag used to be stuffed with a local rag, The Economist and a book.  I now read the paper online before I leave for work, I podcast the Economist and generally have switched to audiobooks so I too no longer have a need for a Kindle.  But I can see many folks who would like their newspaper, magazines and books all in one place.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Then again, maybe not...

August 28, 2008,  12:19 pm
 Extinguish the Rumors: No New Amazon Kindle This Year
 By Brad Stone

Talk of a new version of the Kindle e-book
 reader, aimed at college students, has been echoing around the blogosphere and has even reached your dutifully vacationing Bits correspondent. I asked Craig Berman, Amazon??s chief spokesman, for comment on a possible Kindle 2.0, and today he responded.

??Don??t believe everything you read,? Mr. Berman said. ??There??s a lot of rumor and speculation about the Kindle. One thing I can tell you for sure is that there will be no new version of the Kindle this year. A new version is possible sometime next year at the earliest.?

Mr. Berman declined to speculate about the new model or if it will be aimed at a particular audience ?? though the $5.5 billion textbook market, and all those heavy student backpacks, certainly seems like an appealing target for e-book publishers.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »
And by "this year" Amazon meant Feb 9:

Kindle 2 - Hands on
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 02:35:06 pm »
I've been waiting eagerly for The Economist to come to the Kindle, at which point I was going to seriously consider getting a Kindle.

Then when it finally did last week, the Kindle version cost more ($125) than the print version ($85) and doesn't provide access to the full web version, nor do you get the Audio Edition.

Epic Fail.  When looking at other magazines, that doesn't seem to be standard operating procedure.

Any Kindle users want to shed some light on this?
27>34