Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 30163 times)

Got Haggis?

Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 04:03:13 pm »
i'll just wait for the apple tablet/e-reader due out next year

dannydesil

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 03:37:24 am »
Kindle 2 can charge over USB. I agree that limited titles, and additional charges for international users when buying titles decreases the appeal, though.

Footwear Search Firms New York | Financial Planner Raleigh | Landscaping Company Raleigh
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:39:11 am by dannydesil »

vansmack

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 01:32:28 pm »
What if you couldn't get the new release book electronically for 4 weeks to six months after it's release?

Could you imagine if the music industry had done this to Apple?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:20 pm »
So I got a Kindle for Xmas and must say, I like it much more than I thought I would.

For anybody else who has one, I would recommend Calibre software for avoiding charges to wirelessly deliver newspapers and magazine's to you device.  I use my paid access to The Economist web site to add the print edition to my kindle wihtout paying the Kindle price for the mag.  It's pretty sweet.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:53 pm »
Kosmette just bought a nook....
T.Rex

allah87

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 04:10:50 am »
I've had a Kindle 1 for about a year before I bought the DX. What I like and recommend over the Kindle 2 is the incredible increase in screen space. More screen space equals more words on the page and less "turning the page"

Medical alert systems | blank world map | hidden camera
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:18:14 am by allah87 »

vansmack

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 07:29:08 pm »

Let me know what she thinks of the software.  I used one right before the holidays and it was sluggish but I hear they're really making it snappy these days.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »

Let me know what she thinks of the software.  I used one right before the holidays and it was sluggish but I hear they're really making it snappy these days.

She got the new SW and is pleased so far, she wanted a reader that handled PDFs better since a lot of her class readings are provided in that format.
T.Rex

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 12:48:12 pm »
i got a kindle for christmas, completely unexpected. and i kind of love it. it won't replace my purchase of regular books (yet), especially since i still read a lot of graphic novels.

i enjoy having it for travel since i can carry multiple books without actually doing it and can read the onion, etc. to be fair though, i don't have a smart phone - so other than an ipod, i don't really have any kind of technological device to keep me amused during my commute - so maybe that is why i'm pretty partial to it. also, i already have enough shit in my purse without lugging a couple books around in addition.
nothx

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 04:52:59 pm »
I've been looking over Kosmette's shoulder while she is using her Nook and come to the conclusion that really is a nice size for a portable tablet/e-reader/ etc.  Which of course makes one wonder what Apple was thinking with regards to the iPad, other than it just being another platform for peddling content to. 

I suspect much like the iPod, the masses will embrace the iPad and its short coming, leaving the enthusiasts to bicker among themselves as to which niche device is the superior product. 

It's a shame cause Apple has a leg up in the apps department and will the Nintendo's, Nooks, Android developers ever catch up. 

Of course until we can easily swap SIM cards between devices, we'll never be able to one day be able to cart around an iPhone and the next day use a Nook/Kindle device as a phone without having two voice plans.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »
I agree Kosmo, and that's why I went with the Kindle 2 over the DX.  The small form factor of that and my netbook means that I can carry everything in my 10inch mini messenger back which is super convenient.  More important than size though is the e-ink screen - that's where the iPad is really going to fail and it's just a matter of time before start to realize how hard on the eyes a back lit screen is (and kosmette will realize how easy on the eyes her nook screen is).

As for the apps, somebody will make a simple app port program from iPhone to Android, so that won't be the problem.  The danger comes in all the different screen sizes for all of the Android running devices...some of those ports are going to look awful.
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »
I am happy with my Kindle. I only want more books from Murakami and Chabon to be available.

vansmack

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 02:58:11 pm »
I was tempted to put this in the Southwest bashing thread, but I'll put it here instead.  Do to a change in Smackette's plans, I flew Southwest yesterday instead of Virgin.

And for the first time yesterday, I had a flight attendant tell me to stowe my kindle during take off.  I asked if he was serious?  He said "Yes. I see the wireless is off and I know that it doesn't use any power except when you change the page, we just don't want any items flying around the cabin in an emergency."

I looked at Smackette's hard cover novel in her lap that she was reading (easily 5x the size of my kindle) and then at my kindle, then an "are you REALLY serious?" look back at him...

"OK.  I'll let you keep it out, just don't turn the page."

"No, don't worry about it - I'll put it away.  I'm sorry you didn't get what you want for Christmas...." then I looked back at Smackette "This is why I fly Virgin.  They JUST GET IT."

He didn't ask me to put it away for landing.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »
Now that Amazon sells more ebooks than hard back books and the Kindle price has hit Smackie's sweet spot, this was fairly poigniant:

Why I only Buy Kindle Books

"If anything, Kindle's in a better position than iTunes, since it doesn't restrict you to Amazon's hardware. It's a true service.".....He doesn't to sell you a Kindle. He wants to sell you Kindle.

Much smarter than Apple was with iTunes.  I can't imagine how many more songs Apple would have sold if they had been open with FairPlay.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:17 pm »
i heard the i pad destroyed the e book reader world.  is that true?

destroyed as in . . . why buy the others when i pad can do it and so much more.