Author Topic: Record/CD organization  (Read 5831 times)

vansmack

Re: Record/CD organization
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 02:27:19 pm »
The concept of owning music is a dying breed.  Licensing is where is the future lies...

That being said, I no longer own a single CD that I doesn't have an autograph on it. 

I no longer own a single tape (8 or 24 track).

And I foolishly own 15,000 albums because some day I'll be "nostalgic."

I do license 6 million+ tracks and augment them with about 8 thousand MP3s that aren't available via license.
27>34

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

I don't want to sound like Neil Young here, but mp3's sound like shit.

If you're satisfied with listening to music that sounds as loud and shitty as the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Muse for the rest of your life then I have nothing to say to you.   Rampant technology has won your heart.  Smart phones will always be an infinite progression for you.  You'll never be satsifed.

Brian

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 06:21:30 pm »
what is the point of all of this.  oh yeah, i know

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:48 pm »
The concept of owning music is a dying breed.  Licensing is where is the future lies...

you have never owned music.  you have always bought a license.  just so happened that until recently, buying a license and owning a physical copy were tied together.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »
Good point,  although I was referring to foregoing certain other options when you own the tangible media,  like transferring to other media types and devices,  in contrast to the new licensing models.  It's essentially sacrificing flexibility for access.  And at the current reduced costs,  I've never had access to more music at such a low price.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:54 pm »

1. more isn't necessarily better....

2. sound matters and cds were already, in the main, a step in the wrong direction...

3. just because society  moves in a direction (i.e., "progress") doesn't mean its better...sometimes its devolution baby...look at economy air travel for a good example but there are plenty...

4. just because society moves in a direction doesn't mean everybody has to move in the same direction; arguably there is something to be said for people who go against the grain..

5. I can only speak for myself on this one, but, when I listen to music I like to have the tactile experience of holding a physical product, the album cover art, the information on the recordings, the liner notes, etc..it all forms part of providing the "context" which is vital, to me at least, in "listening" to the music... just streaming something without knowing the studio, musicians, dates, etc, I don't get that and it doesn't work for me... moreover, I think it substantially cheapens the music...I'm sorry but listening to an RL Zep brown bomber ain't the same as streaming the album and if you don't know what I'm talking about its your loss.

6. the best way I can compare say a world of limited but quality LPs to endless streaming/mp3s would be to compare an all you can eat buffet to a nice meal at a good restaurant.....which is the more satisfying experience? the all you can eat gives you more food at a cheaper price but so what? is that better?

7. also, if your taste in music is fairly limited  conventional streaming probably works for you but if you like music from other countries I think it will be a long time before streaming provides you the ability to listen to that music.. don't assume everything is available for streaming.... sure you can stream the new release being promoted by the record label trying to break a band in the Pitchfork world but what about that  obscure folkie from Uruguay Eduardo Mateo...is his stuff available? I'm going to be it isn't...and it will be a long time before it is..and likewise the world is full of great music that isn't going to be streamed..

8. technology. there is a strong tendency on the part of some people to think that whatever innovation takes place in technology is better than what came before...I don't see it like that- in other words  don't believe that is always so- but your mileage may vary.. a side corollary of this is that it is the young people who tend to be first adopters on new technology so the "young are better than old" stereotype really feeds into the "technological innovation" is necessarily progress idea.... well its great being young but there is something to be said for experience too...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 12:30:00 am »
I generally agree with initial release date over recording date, unless it's some seminal forgotten album like "The Modern Lovers" (1972) that just doesn't make sense with the release date (1976).
(o|o)

moeszyslak

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 10:22:31 am »
Interestingly enough, Blood Sugar Sex Magik sounds really great on vinyl. 

I don't want to sound like Neil Young here, but mp3's sound like shit.

If you're satisfied with listening to music that sounds as loud and shitty as the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Muse for the rest of your life then I have nothing to say to you.   Rampant technology has won your heart.  Smart phones will always be an infinite progression for you.  You'll never be satsifed.

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 11:43:59 am »
Now, I wouldn't be caught dead owning Beatles records, but I guess this is the Unified Field Theory question of record organization:

Which comes first?  "Abbey Road" or "Let It Be?"

AND (Corollary!) if you put "Let It Be" before "Abbey Road" aren't you a hypocrite if you organize pre-album singles before the associated albums.  i.e., if you put "Roar" before "Prism?"

Brian

ask me about dave matthews band lyrics, or the catalog of the children of bodom, and you'll get nothing.  i don't like those bands, they mean nothing to me, they take up zero mental space.

the fact that brian is knowledgeable about "Let It Be" vs. "Abbey Road" tells me that his hatred of the Beatles isn't that deep.  in fact it's probably nonexistant.

brian doesn't hate the beatles.  he loves the sound of his voice/smell of his own farts, and wants us to know about it.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 07:22:46 pm »
Now, I wouldn't be caught dead owning Beatles records, but I guess this is the Unified Field Theory question of record organization:

Which comes first?  "Abbey Road" or "Let It Be?"

AND (Corollary!) if you put "Let It Be" before "Abbey Road" aren't you a hypocrite if you organize pre-album singles before the associated albums.  i.e., if you put "Roar" before "Prism?"

Brian

ask me about dave matthews band lyrics, or the catalog of the children of bodom, and you'll get nothing.  i don't like those bands, they mean nothing to me, they take up zero mental space.

the fact that brian is knowledgeable about "Let It Be" vs. "Abbey Road" tells me that his hatred of the Beatles isn't that deep.  in fact it's probably nonexistant.

brian doesn't hate the beatles.  he loves the sound of his voice/smell of his own farts, and wants us to know about it.

First, that's bullshit.  Everyone know's you mumble the lyrics of "Crash" to any slightly chunky girl with an ironic t-shirt (but not TOO ironic) when you're trying to pull.  Then they scratch you behind the ear like a puppy.  What's that infamous quote?: "Do you know your son cries himself to bed at night?"

And EVERYONE with an even passing knowledge of "rock history" knows that the Beatles last recorded album wasn't the last one they released.  That doesn't mean I have to listen to that shit.

Also, John Denver was a sniper in 'Nam and you remember Paul from "The Wonder Years?"  He turned out to be Marilyn Manson!

Brian

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 08:00:01 pm »
brian . . . makes me smile.  i wish julian could make me smile like that.  julian, just makes me cut myself.