Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615226 times)

atomic

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:02 pm »
D-Backs got Arroyo, only a 2-year deal.  That's a coup if true...

UPDATE: 2-yr, $19m, club option for third year.

That's a great deal for AZ.

Orioles offciaially suck.  Why didn't they beat that deal?

shemptiness

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:04 am »
ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweeted the following:

"It was #dbacks vs. #orioles at the end for Bronson Arroyo. He wanted to pitch in NL, which helped give Arizona the edge"

vansmack

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »
ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweeted the following:

"It was #dbacks vs. #orioles at the end for Bronson Arroyo. He wanted to pitch in NL, which helped give Arizona the edge"

Compare the 5 ball parks of the NL West:

Dodger Stadium, AT&T Park, PetCO Field, Coors Field and his home park in AZ.

5 of the most spacious parks in baseball, 3 with heavy marine air.

Versus the 2 stadiums and 3 shoeboxes in the AL East:

Fenway, the new Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards, the Trop and the Rodgers Centre.

A flyball pitcher at the end of his career who gets a pitcher every 9th batter instead of thumper and the NL was a no brainer.  It was his only shot at the option year.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »
curious to see where burnett goes. kilgore suggested the nats make a play. not sure if i buy it, but it would be an interesting move. he'll probably end up back in pittsburgh, provided they can carve out some budget space

The hot rumor on Pittsburgh is that they already made the best offer months ago, but that he was extremely pissed about being passed up for the rookie in game 5 of the NLDS and won't return.

I don't see him going to the Nats, who really don't need him and should probably focus on the bullpen with that cash.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
Orioles offciaially suck.  Why didn't they beat that deal?

Maybe he was afraid he couldn't meet the rigorous standards of the Orioles physical? 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:42 am »
Edit: He has an Insider column on it which just posted.  Which I can't access.

He said:

He's old, getting older, doesn't throw the ball hard enough to keep the ball in the park consistently, and can't get left handed batters out.

I point to the numbers I posted with no signs of age getting in the way of that.  He's consistent and can give your bullpen a rest.  And he'll keep more balls in the park in the NL West than in the launching pad that is Great American Ballpark.

The one point I do agree with was that the D-Backs already had an innings eater who was much cheaper in Ian Kennedy ($6m for 2014).  The problem with Kennedy is that he's lazy - the Yankees knew it, the D-Backs now know this and you don't want your young pitchers seeing that.  That's why Arroyo is now in AZ and Kennedy is on his way out.

It's not very often I disagree with KLaw as much as I do now.  I think this is a good deal with little risk.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2014, 12:31:16 am »
curious to see where burnett goes. kilgore suggested the nats make a play. not sure if i buy it, but it would be an interesting move. he'll probably end up back in pittsburgh, provided they can carve out some budget space

The hot rumor on Pittsburgh is that they already made the best offer months ago, but that he was extremely pissed about being passed up for the rookie in game 5 of the NLDS and won't return.

I don't see him going to the Nats, who really don't need him and should probably focus on the bullpen with that cash.
interesting. i do remember the announcers saying something like "its all hands on deck in the pirates bullpen tonight, except for aj burnett" during game 5. seemed odd at the time but makes sense now, and doesnt make him look good.

given his playoff performance versus coles, it was a no-brainer for hurdle anyway.

im lukewarm on the nats making a play. they certainly dont need him, but if he can be had for cheap (seems like hes severely limited his own market), im not sure id object. i like detwiler but he might be more valuable as a bullpen arm
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:32:58 am by gaaaaaaaaah »

vansmack

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »
Burnett to the Phillies. 1 year deal.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2014, 11:56:32 am »
Braves sign Kimbrel to 4-year deal,  avoiding the embarrassing JJ scenario.

And Dempster isn't retiring,  but won't pitch in 2014 for personal and Family reasons.  Red Sox don't have to pay him.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »
Garza passed on Angels' offer because he was on vacation. 

http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/17/matt-garza-passed-angels-vacation/?xid=nl_siextra

vansmack

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2014, 05:51:42 pm »
Garza passed on Angels' offer because he was on vacation. 

http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/17/matt-garza-passed-angels-vacation/?xid=nl_siextra

This guys nails it:

I wonder how Mrs. Garza feels about living in Milwaukee instead of Newport Beach?
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »
TAMPA, Fla. -- Brian Roberts hasn't been able to stay on the field as an every-day second baseman since 2009, but that didn't stop New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi from naming Roberts as Robinson Cano's successor.

"That is the plan, for him to be our second baseman," Girardi said Monday. "I know he hasn't played a full season in the last few years, he's obviously a guy who has some age on him too, but my plan is to run him out there every day."

Good luck with that, Joe.

shemptiness

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:56 pm »
New dress code in St. Louis:

'The following is not permitted under our dress code after 9pm: sleeveless shirts on men, profanity on clothing, exposed undergarments on men, sweat pants, full sweat suits, excessively long shirts (when standing upright with arms at your side, the bottom of your shirt can not extend below the tip of your fingers), jerseys (sleeved jerseys are permitted in conjunction with a cardinals game or any other major St. Louis sporting event), athletic shorts and excessively sagging pants or shorts bandanas.'

http://deadspin.com/new-st-louis-ballpark-village-has-a-ridiculous-dress-c-1552078792

James Ford

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »
It's odd that they would call what sounds like a perfectly reasonable dress code "ridiculous".

'The following is not permitted under our dress code after 9pm: sleeveless shirts on men, profanity on clothing, exposed undergarments on men, sweat pants, full sweat suits, excessively long shirts (when standing upright with arms at your side, the bottom of your shirt can not extend below the tip of your fingers), jerseys (sleeved jerseys are permitted in conjunction with a cardinals game or any other major St. Louis sporting event), athletic shorts and excessively sagging pants or shorts bandanas.'

http://deadspin.com/new-st-louis-ballpark-village-has-a-ridiculous-dress-c-1552078792

stevewizzle

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:26 pm »
It's odd that they would call what sounds like a perfectly reasonable dress code "ridiculous".

this might be the most james ford response ever.