Author Topic: META: User-curated Hall of Fame  (Read 57149 times)

ggw

Re: META: User-curated Hall of Fame
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »
The DCIST vs 9:30 board spat over DCIST's publishing of pre-sale passwords was nice too.  Especially when someone posted the DCIST editor's work phone number and people actually called him.

atomic

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
Smacky is pro or anti-abortion? Not that it matters, I guess. I have recently become anti-abortion after realizing that we need more people to support me when I reach social security age. 

Nobody is pro-abortion and using that nomenclature depicts where you stand on the argument.

Smackie is in favor of a woman's right to choose, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

But what about the economy?  Look at Europe and Japan don't you see what birth control is doing to their economies? I support a woman's right to choose who is going to impregnate her.  But we need more babies.  Think about my 401k and stop being so selfish people.

atomic

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2013, 02:04:31 pm »
The exact details are a bit fuzzy, not exactly sure what sparked it but it was over abortion.  And that smackie ended up finding some pretty specific poster info.

Yeah, I don't remember what started it either, but somebody came to the forum, shockingly a tangent broke out, and a discussion on abortion started.  Generally speaking, I sit out most online political debates as I have find them pointless to everyone's true aim, which is to convince the other person to change their mind.  I do however, correct factual inaccuracies from time to time, so I follow along.

Originally, I assumed this was another Rhett and Celeste troll exercise to cure boredom, but within a half hour a number of other new folks joined in the fray and Smackie's spider senses sensed a conspiracy.  Through the old board technology, I discovered that they were all probably sitting in some dorm room or computer lab at CUA and did some cyber sleuthing.  I kept that quiet until they pretended as though they weren't in cahoots, but instead were doing us all a favor and saving our souls. I posted the first name and major of the OP and threatened I would out the rest of them if they didn't find some other sandbox to play in.

They left.

That is funny that people would do that.  I guess this board was more active then.  Going to that extant to get people upset seems pointless these days.  I guess it is nice that is a smaller community but we need a little more variety.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »
Smacky is pro or anti-abortion? Not that it matters, I guess. I have recently become anti-abortion after realizing that we need more people to support me when I reach social security age. 

Nobody is pro-abortion and using that nomenclature depicts where you stand on the argument.

Smackie is in favor of a woman's right to choose, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

But what about the economy?  Look at Europe and Japan don't you see what birth control is doing to their economies? I support a woman's right to choose who is going to impregnate her.  But we need more babies.  Think about my 401k and stop being so selfish people.

Yeah, but consider the effect that roe v wade had on the crime rate!  Our society is better for it.  Unwanted children grow up feeling....unwanted.  And their choices reflect it.

atomic

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2013, 02:07:06 pm »
If we're doing people, here's my initial thrust of nominations:

Sonickteam

That guy is such a loser.  He pretended to be a an attractive young woman on another board I was on and he had all these loser guys hitting on him.  Finally someone figured out he was a dude and he was like oh I never said I was a woman I just used a friends photo as my avatar as it was handy.   

atomic

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:39 pm »

Yeah, but consider the effect that roe v wade had on the crime rate!  Our society is better for it.  Unwanted children grow up feeling....unwanted.  And their choices reflect it.

You take the good with the bad. Just think of all the childless couples who can't adopt.  But I am really not concerned with that I am concerned with people who have resources not having enough children.  Maybe I am not anti-abortion per se, more anti birth control.  I mean the Catholic church has that policy for a reason.  People could afford to send 4 kids to college and nurture them along the way and instead are only having one or two kids at most.   What do you think will happen to real estate prices if this trend continues?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2013, 02:18:10 pm »

You take the good with the bad. Just think of all the childless couples who can't adopt.  But I am really not concerned with that I am concerned with people who have resources not having enough children.  Maybe I am not anti-abortion per se, more anti birth control.  I mean the Catholic church has that policy for a reason.  People could afford to send 4 kids to college and nurture them along the way and instead are only having one or two kids at most.   What do you think will happen to real estate prices if this trend continues?

I'm going to assume you are being satirical here.  But in case you are not...Do you have any idea how much it costs to raise children and send them to college?  I've got 2...and with a lot of sacrifice and saving and a TON of luck it looks like i might have enough to send them to college without them having to be swimming in debt when they are done. 

I'm far from rich but do pretty ok.  Most people in this country can't even afford to send one kid to college.  Let alone 4.

PS - Most of those unwanted children don't get adopted.  They get raised along side their unwanted brothers and sisters.

stevewizzle

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2013, 02:34:46 pm »

atomic

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

I'm going to assume you are being satirical here.  But in case you are not...Do you have any idea how much it costs to raise children and send them to college?  I've got 2...and with a lot of sacrifice and saving and a TON of luck it looks like i might have enough to send them to college without them having to be swimming in debt when they are done. 

I'm far from rich but do pretty ok.  Most people in this country can't even afford to send one kid to college.  Let alone 4.

PS - Most of those unwanted children don't get adopted.  They get raised along side their unwanted brothers and sisters.

Seriously they should give people free in-state tuition for any kid you have more than 1 that you send to college.  And free day-care starting with your second child.  This would help the economy in the long run more than the current policies.  We have a lot more space in this country.

I guess another option to solve our long-term problems would to let millions of younger immigrants into the country each year with a decent amount  of them having college degrees

I really don't care whether anyone has an abortion or not but there should be some sort of incentive for people to have more kids either that or realize our future won't be bright. 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2013, 03:48:18 pm »
If we're doing people, here's my initial thrust of nominations:

Sonickteam

That guy is such a loser.  He pretended to be a an attractive young woman on another board I was on and he had all these loser guys hitting on him.  Finally someone figured out he was a dude and he was like oh I never said I was a woman I just used a friends photo as my avatar as it was handy.   
SRSLY? Link?
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2013, 03:54:25 pm »
I forgot about the hfsfest fued it culminated in them posting large literary passages on the forum and lots of people getting blocked. 
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »
I forgot about the hfsfest fued it culminated in them posting large literary passages on the forum and lots of people getting blocked. 
Haha, yeah, those were my armies. Closed registration is the only thing that saved you all from getting Chaucer'ed back to the 16th Century.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »

People have been blocked?

vansmack

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2013, 06:28:18 pm »
People have been blocked?

Some people more than once.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2013, 06:30:50 pm »
All I remember of that HFStival thread is that one dude (Grimace?) freaking out about his real name being posted.