Author Topic: Non transferable tickets  (Read 8841 times)

atomic

Non transferable tickets
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:24 pm »
I think non-transferable tickets are a scam.  If you paid for something you should be able to give it away or sell it. It would be one thing if you could return the ticket for a full refund but if you can't you should be able to do with it what you please.  Unless you want to sell the tickets the night of the show than you can't expect us to pay for tickets and not be able to transfer them to someone else.

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Non transferable tickets
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:03 pm »
i think this thread is a scam.  transfer that, bitch.

hutch

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:54:16 pm »
this is an ongoing debate.... the money is on the side of keeping them transferable... the whole resale industry, scalpers, stubhub would sufffer a big blow if tickets were not..they have pumped money into into front groups representing themselves as being on the side of the "fans" that are nothing more than lobbyists for stubhub etc.. they lobby government for precisely what atomic wants... "fan power" anyone?

i happen to think that for many shows the fan would win out if tickets where non-transferable...is it an inconvenience at times? yes.. but an example of how it could work:

in 2008 or so AC DC had not toured in like 8 years or something.. demand was sky high... they had a fannclub and if you joined.. i think it may have been 50 bucks you could participate in the presale.. all tickets where 99 but the really good seats where offered first to the fanclub members with one condition: non-transferable and you could only buy 2.... i ended up with second row center for opening night... dream.

if the tickets had been transferable i have little doubt that scalpers/ticket resellers would have bought almost all of them... and I'd have had to pay hundreds more making it impossible..instead of me, a diehard ACDC fan, in that seat it would have probably been some suit without much of a clue about ACDC

I predict tickets will stay transferable with the consequence that because resellers keep scooping them up when there is a difference between "market price" and "face value"  which will encourage concert acts to keep raising prices so that resellers can't arbitrage/skim the diference.....the Stones did this recently...they raised prices so high that essentially resellers were shut out...with the exception of lottery 85 dollar tickets which were nontransferable and you did not know where your seat would be... I want to be clear before Julian's 5 year old kids jumps on me: I am not defending the Stones ticket selling prices simply making a point about how they cut out the middleman

eventually we will probably move to a system resemblilng airline tickets where the prices for tickets fluctuates much like it does on orbitz or travelocity... and you'll have somebody in seat a who paid $300 and the person next to him $88.. its already happening..

so I guess my feeling Atomic is you don't have much to worry about although ocassionally an act that gives a shit bout their fans will make them non-transferable and charge below market valuef ..in the case of ACDC it should be noted all seats were 99$... so in essence they arguably helped out their "fan" in the fanclub while charging others the same for far worse seats..although there was the 50 fanclub charge..there were some prizes you were supposed to get..... they subsidied their fans..... .. but moving forward in the main you're going to have to pay way more but at least will be able to do what you want with your ticket..

your mileage, as always, may vary.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:16 pm »
remember those days when you could walk into a store and buy music?  yeah, neither do i.

here

http://pitchfork.com/news/53474-listen-del-the-funky-homosapien-shares-free-lp/

why did i post this here?  because, i hate atomics thread.

Unsanity

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 02:42:02 am »
I just DL'd that album before coming to this forum haha. So far its okay sounding, especially for a freebie!

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:38:24 am »
If you do not accept the terms of a contract do not enter into it.
FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »
eventually we will probably move to a system resemblilng airline tickets where the prices for tickets fluctuates much like it does on orbitz or travelocity... and you'll have somebody in seat a who paid $300 and the person next to him $88.. its already happening..

I dont' know why people keep wanting thing to go to airplane style ticketing.  Since the airlines implemented this most of them have gone bankrupt.  And airlines don't gurantee you a seat.  They can kick you off even after you board the plane if they determine it is oversold.

hutch

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:34:43 pm »

I dont' know why people keep wanting thing to go to airplane style ticketing.  Since the airlines implemented this most of them have gone bankrupt.  And airlines don't gurantee you a seat.  They can kick you off even after you board the plane if they determine it is oversold.

revenue maximization

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:56:16 pm »
remember those days when you could walk into a store and buy music?  yeah, neither do i.

I fondly remember the days when you had to go to music stores way before they opened in the morning to buy tickets to concerts....
27>34

atomic

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »

revenue maximization

I don't think that is true.  It teaches people to wait until the price goes down to buy tickets.

hutch

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »

revenue maximization

I don't think that is true.  It teaches people to wait until the price goes down to buy tickets.

its way more complicated than that...there are multiple prices.. there isn't one "price" per se .. and they vary wildly depending on a lot of factors..its a very complicated model...

airlines go bankrupt because its a very dynamic and competitive sector.... they go bankrupt, new ones come in etc....

atomic

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »

revenue maximization

its way more complicated than that...there are multiple prices.. there isn't one "price" per se .. and they vary wildly depending on a lot of factors..its a very complicated model...

airlines go bankrupt because its a very dynamic and competitive sector.... they go bankrupt, new ones come in etc....

They go bankrupt as they have taught people to wait for lower fares instead of trying to have better service.  They have made airline seats into commodities instead of differing their brands.  If they all kept their prices high and worked on getting customers through having a quality product they might make money.   I think it works out best for venues to charge one price.  Scalpers only help venues.  If everyone knows at best they will get into show for 50 bucks than they will be motivated to buy tickets as quickly as possible.  If they think they could get in for 20 bucks in the future if they wait they will be more likely to wait.  And then they might forget about the show and not attend at all.

Scalpers buying up supply helps venues as they get paid whether the tickets sell or not.  And they get paid in advance of the show.  Getting your money before the show is great as you can earn money on holding the cash. 

hutch

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 02:28:17 pm »
  Scalpers only help venues.  If everyone knows at best they will get into show for 50 bucks than they will be motivated to buy tickets as quickly as possible.  If they think they could get in for 20 bucks in the future if they wait they will be more likely to wait.  And then they might forget about the show and not attend at all.

Scalpers buying up supply helps venues as they get paid whether the tickets sell or not.  And they get paid in advance of the show.  Getting your money before the show is great as you can earn money on holding the cash. 

Definitely true.. unfortunately I'm not a venue... I'm a concertgoer..

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »

I fondly remember the days when you had to go to music stores way before they opened in the morning to buy tickets to concerts....

god, i used to love those days!  finding secret stores, to buy hard to get phish tickets at record stores that catered to rap and hip hip music, with no problems . . . was always the best.  or the ticketmaster outlets at malls.  then i could shop at the mall after and oogle at hot, married, older fathers id like to fuck.

atomic

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:48 pm »
I remember waiting outside a Hechts in the morning to get Cure tickets and by the time I got to the tickemaster booth inside the store someone was buying la cage aux folles tickets.  I had to wait for them to decide on what tickets they wanted before I could get my Cure tickets.