Author Topic: Coachella 2014... in case anyone still cares  (Read 10576 times)

atomic

Re: Coachella 2014... in case anyone still cares
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 02:11:58 pm »
once upon a time Coachella was a big deal around here.  we would guess at the lineup, collectively blow up when we got it right/wrong, and those going would make a lot of noise.  are those days over?  the lineup announcement is pretty solid IMO - good mix of mainstream and lesser-known.

Coachella 2014 Lineup Announced: OutKast, Muse, Arcade Fire Headlining
Queens of the Stone Age, The Replacements, Skrillex, Beck, Pharrell, Zedd, Lorde and Calvin Harris all set to play three-day festival
http://www.fuse.tv/2014/01/outkast-muse-arcade-fire-headline-coachella-2014

also: Motorhead, QOTSA, Bobobo, Afghan Whigs, Pet Shop Boys, Empire of the Sun, Beck, NMH, Disclosure, DPlan, tons more... full line-up: http://www.fuse.tv/image/52ce24cc1ce805bf41000009/image.jpg

Weird that you didn't mention Foster the People, Lana Del Rey, Brian Ferry, Lorde, and MGMT and instead mentioned the Afghan Wigs and Empire of the Sun.

Anyway this line-up is pretty incredible.  I would go if my idea of a good time was sitting out in extreme heat in the desert.

atomic

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 02:14:28 pm »
[

Jeez.  It is REALLY the Replacements if it's just two of them? 

of course not.

I been waiting to see Westerberg for years... I couldn't care less if he goes by "The Replacements" or "The Shit stains"

really after Bob Stinson it arguably wasn't the Mats anyways..

Did you ever see Bob Stinson play guitar in the Replacements? I am guessing you hadn't or you wouldn't be making a big deal about it not being the Replacements without him. 

hutch

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:26 pm »
[

of course not.

I been waiting to see Westerberg for years... I couldn't care less if he goes by "The Replacements" or "The Shit stains"

Did you ever see Bob Stinson play guitar in the Replacements? I am guessing you hadn't or you wouldn't be making a big deal about it not being the Replacements without him. 

let me guess..he was drunk and shambolic...

gee, thats not what I would have thought of the replacements... i mean when i listen to their early records or live boots they sound like a precise metronomic machine of rock..

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 02:36:39 pm »
[

of course not.

gee, thats not what I would have thought of the replacements... i mean when i listen to their early records or live boots they sound like a precise metronomic machine of rock..

Yawn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMSaSJ_9xwo

hutch

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 02:39:28 pm »
[

of course not.

Yawn.

i see..1981...yes well is that it? replacements 1981 are legit but after that its not?

are we even disagreeing here? anyways gotta run

tata

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »
[

of course not.

Yawn.

i see..1981...yes well is that it? replacements 1981 are legit but after that its not?

are we even disagreeing here? anyways gotta run

tata

The 'Mats were notoriously hit and miss. But people forget that when they were on, they were a really fun and great live band.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:53 pm »
I saw the 'mats open for x 83/84 and hung out with bob afterwards, nice chatty guy, even bought a I will dare 12" from tommy
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 03:04:14 pm »
As a 13 year old this is the song that made me think the Replacements were right up my alley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV55IwBEa14

And also from Stink, this song hinted at their future greatness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlfUpXj3ps

Stink, imo, is a horribly under appreciated record, and "Go" is easily in my top 3 or 4 songs by them.

I wish we could embed youtube videos on this board.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 03:10:28 pm »
Once I saw this, I knew that I was better off saving some dough and being more selective about smaller-scale concerts I want to see instead of attempting to do Coachella: http://gawker.com/jimmy-kimmel-gets-coachella-attendees-to-lie-about-liki-478088612

really, B?  you came to that conclusion, once you figured out that in a crowd of 50,000 people you're going to find some nozzles?  do you go for the music, or to interview hipsters? ;D
<sig>

evilizac

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 04:32:32 pm »
Stink is great fun. From the humor in the title to the humor in songs like "Fuck School" and "I Need a Goddamn Job" along with some of the more serious songs. It sort of paints them in this period as a crass suburban Ramones.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:13:47 pm by evilizac »
WHAT?

atomic

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:39 pm »
[

of course not.

Songs were unrecognizable so why would you want that?  And Let it Be on album sounds pretty good.  I dont' know how many songs he played on that album.  I think on "I will dare" it was peter buck.

bearman🐻

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 05:14:23 pm »
Once I saw this, I knew that I was better off saving some dough and being more selective about smaller-scale concerts I want to see instead of attempting to do Coachella: http://gawker.com/jimmy-kimmel-gets-coachella-attendees-to-lie-about-liki-478088612

really, B?  you came to that conclusion, once you figured out that in a crowd of 50,000 people you're going to find some nozzles?  do you go for the music, or to interview hipsters? ;D

I think what turned me off is when people started saying they didn't go for the music, they went for the "experience".

Hexenjagd

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »
I would try to catch these artists if I was to go (if I got an unexpected promotion at work with a big bonus or won a trip to the fest):

Broken Bells, Bryan Ferry, the Afghan Whigs, the Cult, GOAT, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Crosses, MGMT, Mogwai, Warpaint, Future Islands, White Lies, Blood Orange, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Fishbone, AlunaGeorge, Superchunk, Daughter, Surfer Blood, Aeroplane, Ratking

Wow, that list was a lot shorter than I thought it would be.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 07:24:11 pm »
no the knife hexenwhatever

how . . . dare . . . you

i am gay and i like cats