Author Topic: Spotify v MOG v Rdio V Beatsmusic v other?  (Read 5130 times)

brennser

Spotify v MOG v Rdio V Beatsmusic v other?
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:25 am »
So MOG is soon to be no more and that is a very bad thing for me musically as it is my primary source for discovering and listening to new music.

its being replaced by Beats music which is a little like your favorite record shop being taken over by someone who has no taste in music, puts only Top 40 stuff on the shelves and dumps anything interesting into a bin at the back of the store. As you browse you are constantly interuppted by overcaffeinated staff trying to point you back to the Top 40 side of the store. The web and IOS interface and usability for Beatsmusic is basically a crime against humanity.

I've also tried Rdio a little and while

What I like about MOG was a simple, clean interface, new releases, my favorites, my playlists, being able to download etc and especially being able to order my favorites not by alpha but by also by date which mean i could find new stuff easily.

Is there any streaming service out there that does that and doesn;t try and get me to listen to algorithmically driven "radio stations".

TIA

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Spotify v MOG v Rdio V Beatsmusic v other?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:17 am »
spotify, for the win.  they have, almost everything, and just enough, to make you go buy, if you, want the rest.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:10 am »
The web and IOS interface and usability for Beatsmusic is basically a crime against humanity.
If you think that's bad, iTunes Radio is literally the death of 11 million people via ethnic cleansing.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:56 am »
I use Rhapsody.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:40 am »
I use Rhapsody.
Rhapsody president Jon Irwin is the reincarnated Pol Pot, but worse.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:46 pm »
I find it a lot easier just to find record labels you trust and follow their releases as a starting point.
T.Rex

bellenseb

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 02:15:57 pm »
Of all the streaming services out there, Google All Access has one major differentiator - it's the only one that lets you upload your own music to the cloud and then search/stream it in the same interface as the subscription tracks. Very handy for all those live tracks, out of print and obscure albums, et al that aren't part of the streaming library.

Spotify lets you sync local tracks to playlists, but they're loaded onto your device, not the cloud, so you're dealing with both storage issues, and device issues.

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:14 pm »
Of all the streaming services out there, Google All Access has one major differentiator - it's the only one that lets you upload your own music to the cloud and then search/stream it in the same interface as the subscription tracks. Very handy for all those live tracks, out of print and obscure albums, et al that aren't part of the streaming library.

This - it's a huge plus to listen to what they offer and augment my collection with my own stuff. I've been a subscriber from Day One and it's now cross platform.

It allows you to start a radio station from a track/band/genre, view the play list in advance to remove songs you don't want to hear, and if you thumbs up and thumbs down often enough, it does a pretty good job of understanding your tastes.

The first month was free for iOS users too, not sure if it still is.
27>34

brennser

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 03:19:42 pm »
does it let you organize by download/added to favorites date? Sorry to be obsessing on this and thanks everyone for replying

Spotify lets you sync local tracks to playlists, but they're loaded onto your device, not the cloud, so you're dealing with both storage issues, and device issues.

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:46:59 pm »
does it let you organize by download/added to favorites date? Sorry to be obsessing on this and thanks everyone for replying

No.  I can search by "Last Added" and it appears to go back about 2 months, but it does not distinguish between those songs I uploaded vs those that I licensed from Google.

The "Thumbs Up" section (what you would call favorites) does not appear to be sortable by date.

You can play with it yourself without paying to see if it works for you - you're just limited to songs you upload only.  The licensing of the millions of songs is what costs money.

27>34

brennser

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »
thanks smackie - google does seem like the best alternative out there but no Sonos integration is a bit of a bummer

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 02:07:10 pm »
thanks smackie - google does seem like the best alternative out there but no Sonos integration is a bit of a bummer

I'm not a Sonos user myself,  but I hear this complaint a lot.  Google has said nothing about supporting this either.

I have a Chromecast plugged into an HDMI port of my tuner for stereo integration of Google Play. Nifty little $35 device.
27>34

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:42 pm »
احمد

Yada

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »
Spotify.

/thread.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 06:19:22 pm »
i already said that . . . but nobody believes anything i say, unless of course, i include cat pictures.