Author Topic: Meteorological Banter  (Read 128761 times)

Re: Meteorological Banter
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2016, 04:09:29 pm »

flash flooding destroyed downtown Ellicott cityMD Saturday!
some of the video is crazy when it's happening
but the aftermath in the second video is even more shocking
slack

hutch

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2016, 05:09:14 pm »

flash flooding destroyed downtown Ellicott cityMD Saturday!
some of the video is crazy when it's happening
but the aftermath in the second video is even more shocking

so do you subscribe to the post so you can read it?

bob72

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2016, 05:17:06 pm »
Doesn't this happen to Ellicott City somewhat regularly? I feel like this is not the first time I've heard of this
PENIS

shemptiness

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2016, 10:58:29 pm »
In two hours, nearly six inches of rain had fallen, an event so extraordinary that the National Weather Service said it should, statistically, occur there just once every 1,000 years.

So, no.

IamHydrogen

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 07:10:50 am »
As a hydrologist, I cringe every time someone on the news uses "100-year storm" or "1000-year storm".

The 100-year storm is an "exceedance probability", meaning there is a 1 percent chance of a storm of that magnitude occurring in a given year.

Old Elliott City was regrettably built at the confluence of about 5 streams.  Someone has cherry picked a piece of data somewhere in that watershed where 6 inches of rain fell.  A 1000-year event, while technically true, isn't the whole picture.

Yes it floods frequently there.  Development in Howard County most likely makes runoff more intense then it once was.  Climate change is also throwing our statistics out of whack.

hutch

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 07:32:14 am »
^WOWZA! Someone who actually knows what they're talking about!!!!!!!!!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 08:33:17 am »
As a hydrologist, I cringe every time someone on the news uses "100-year storm" or "1000-year storm".

The 100-year storm is an "exceedance probability", meaning there is a 1 percent chance of a storm of that magnitude occurring in a given year.

Old Elliott City was regrettably built at the confluence of about 5 streams.  Someone has cherry picked a piece of data somewhere in that watershed where 6 inches of rain fell.  A 1000-year event, while technically true, isn't the whole picture.

Yes it floods frequently there.  Development in Howard County most likely makes runoff more intense then it once was.  Climate change is also throwing our statistics out of whack.

So more like an 800-year storm, then?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 09:07:36 am »
Guys I have it on good authority that Hydrogen makes up 2/3rds of all water. It logically follows that IamHydrogen knows what the fuck he's talking about when it comes to rain.
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2016, 09:54:50 am »
He also knows, phish.  What a blast from the past, that guy is. And to come out of nowhere like that. In a thread about the weather.

Gurl.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2016, 10:17:03 am »

^ nominated for the hall of fame.
<sig>

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2016, 10:25:29 am »

Seconded. I love that he has 20 posts in a decade and just showed up to school everyone on rain.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2016, 10:40:38 am »

Seconded. I love that he has 20 posts in a decade and just showed up to school everyone on rain.

and his screen name is a song from your favorite band, even better!

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2016, 10:57:29 am »

and his screen name is a song from your favorite band, even better!
This ruins it for me now that I know its a Phish reference.
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 11:01:30 am »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »