Author Topic: Cars, Cars, Cars  (Read 10642 times)

atomic

Re: Cars, Cars, Cars
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 04:01:25 pm »
I'm not really into cars.  I like my highlander just fine...drives great, is comfortable enough.  hybrid so the mileage is more than enough considering its size. 

I like motorcycles though.  I've got a 76 bmw now and am looking to get something something else fun this summer.  maybe.  and when i wind up with some property lookout.

Back when I had 3 motorcycles and was thinking of starting a collection I wanted to pick up a BMW Motorcyle from the 70's.  They look pretty cool and last forever.  Not crazy about the modern BMW Bikes.  But if you are riding some remote part of the world you are bound to see a few. 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »
  I had a Ducati that had many issues including dying while doing 95 mph on the highway in the first two weeks. 
It's a pretty controversial topic...engine break in...but just about anyone will agree that you shouldn't be revving and racing any engine the first few-500 miles or so.  Especially a temperamental italian one.

95 mph in a Ducati is not high-reving or racing in a Ducati.  Anyway it was the gas line that broke. Nothing engine related.
agreed...i'll bet it was scary as hell losing power at that speed.  Scarriest thing that happened to me on a bike was a center stand falling down while riding, though was only going about 30 tops.  all the sudden i heard this horrible grinding sound and I though the engine had shit the bed in some horrible way.

chaz

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »
I'm not really into cars.  I like my highlander just fine...drives great, is comfortable enough.  hybrid so the mileage is more than enough considering its size. 

I like motorcycles though.  I've got a 76 bmw now and am looking to get something something else fun this summer.  maybe.  and when i wind up with some property lookout.

Back when I had 3 motorcycles and was thinking of starting a collection I wanted to pick up a BMW Motorcyle from the 70's.  They look pretty cool and last forever.  Not crazy about the modern BMW Bikes.  But if you are riding some remote part of the world you are bound to see a few. 
the boxer engine is pretty much bulletproof.  i sure love mine.  i kinda hate the brakes though, but putting on a new front for a disc brake just seems so much hassle.  my father in law has a modern sport touring bmw.  generally modern bmw riders are the biggest nerds on the road.  but in general they put on a ton of miles too.

atomic

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 04:08:28 pm »
  I had a Ducati that had many issues including dying while doing 95 mph on the highway in the first two weeks. 
It's a pretty controversial topic...engine break in...but just about anyone will agree that you shouldn't be revving and racing any engine the first few-500 miles or so.  Especially a temperamental italian one.

95 mph in a Ducati is not high-reving or racing in a Ducati.  Anyway it was the gas line that broke. Nothing engine related.
agreed...i'll bet it was scary as hell losing power at that speed.  Scarriest thing that happened to me on a bike was a center stand falling down while riding, though was only going about 30 tops.  all the sudden i heard this horrible grinding sound and I though the engine had shit the bed in some horrible way.

Luckily on the Ducati there wasn't any traffic behind me.  Yeah that would put a shock into if suddenly you hear scraping without warning  I did drop my Harley once in middle of the nowhere Quebec.  I had driven a hundred kilometers with seeing a single place to stop saw a parking lot after it past and try turn back after I pass it and down it goes.  Can see a tractor trailer coming in the distance.  Pretty hard to pick up a 800 pound Harley with 100 pounds of gear on it.  But I just manage to get it up in time.

ggw

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:03 pm »
Any opinions on Moto Guzzi? 

chaz

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 04:19:32 pm »
don't know much about them other than what my moto buddies tell me...if you're into vintage euro bikes they are just as reliable as a bmw.  they've got a pretty cool looking model out now, the v7, it's a pretty sweet looking bike but performance wise pretty weak.  if you want modern vintage skip it and get a bonneville or a thruxton.

atomic

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 04:19:46 pm »

the boxer engine is pretty much bulletproof.  i sure love mine.  i kinda hate the brakes though, but putting on a new front for a disc brake just seems so much hassle.  my father in law has a modern sport touring bmw.  generally modern bmw riders are the biggest nerds on the road.  but in general they put on a ton of miles too.

I was thinking the nerd thing when I went to an Open House at Bob's BMW in Maryland.  They post a photo of everyone that buys one on their site:

http://www.bobsbmw.com/community/new-owners/

Their touring bikes have a high center of gravity. I  don't know if I would like that driving for thousands of miles.

Relaxer

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 04:22:21 pm »

Yeah, it's a minivan, whattyagonnado. Fact is, I can transport 8 people easily, there's a refrigerator in the dashboard, I can listen to music a dozen different ways, the kids get their own 'entertainment system' and I don't have to worry about being unfaithful to my wife because no woman will ever want me when they see 'the Hearse'.

We don't drive very much though because I bike to work and my wife's neighborhood business is run out of our house.
oword

atomic

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 04:22:45 pm »
Any opinions on Moto Guzzi? 

I have only riden the Griso and it looks cool but it isn't a performance bike.  The clutch is kluggy and the bike doesn't handle all that great.  Not a sporty ride.  But if you want something different.. If you want to test ride one Speeds Cycle in Elkridge MD will let you take one out.  The one I rode was a 4 valve version.  I expect that the newer 8 valve has more kick to it. 

James Ford

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:11 pm »
Wait a minute. Your wife ran a business out of your house and still put the kids in daycare? Wow, that's harsh!!! How many days a week, and for how long each day?

Yeah, it's a minivan, whattyagonnado. Fact is, I can transport 8 people easily, there's a refrigerator in the dashboard, I can listen to music a dozen different ways, the kids get their own 'entertainment system' and I don't have to worry about being unfaithful to my wife because no woman will ever want me when they see 'the Hearse'.

We don't drive very much though because I bike to work and my wife's neighborhood business is run out of our house.

atomic

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 04:51:57 pm »
Wait a minute. Your wife ran a business out of your house and still put the kids in daycare? Wow, that's harsh!!! How many days a week, and for how long each day?

This is Cars, Cars ,Cars thread.  Please do not post child raising in this thread. 

James Ford

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 05:11:48 pm »
Ok, fair nuf. I guess we should not have talked about the Alps either.

To tie it in, I guess they big bucks his wife's business raked in helped pay for that sweet minivan.

This is Cars, Cars ,Cars thread.  Please do not post child raising in this thread. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:13:32 pm by James Ford »

Relaxer

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 06:53:10 pm »

She is working through the day, and we had a nanny who took care of one and then the other
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:39 pm »
honda element, for the win

James Ford

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 01:17:28 am »
Not that you're looking for my stamp of approval, but that sounds like a pretty swell setup if they were all home under the same roof.

She is working through the day, and we had a nanny who took care of one and then the other