Author Topic: Food Coupons/Discount Codes  (Read 45357 times)

Yada

Re: Food Coupons/Discount Codes
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:41:48 am »
Nah, no lessons.

Depending on how much you make and what other bills you have, one can certainly afford to dine and drink at the establishments that get mentioned in the Gastro and Beer threads on this board. But I'd hardly call a diet of gourmet DC restaurants and craft beer (and wine and liquor?) as being "thrifty".

How much money per year would you say you spend at restaurants and bars?

I bet way more than the average American. Though perhaps your income is way higher than the average American.

Just the idea of Julian or Yada doing any coupon clipping/money saving of any kind had me laughing! Particularly for something like Outback.

I wonder who will post more in this thread, Julian or Yada?

Doubly whaaa...I wouldn't be caught dead in that establishment.

I'm glad my perceived spending habits make you laugh... but I'm actually quite thrifty. 

I feel like this is headed towards another James Ford life lesson on why you should never spend money. 

James, my mortgage last year = about 7.5% of me and my wife's gross income. I maxed out my 401k and my wife maxed out her SEP account, we invested a additional amount of money in the market, AND... we have life insurance. I don't buy "things." I spend money on doing things I enjoy; drinking, eating, seeing music, traveling. I buy clothes at Target or actually... I don't buy clothes. And based on the picture I posted of myself last week, I obviously don't get haircuts.

I'm glad you're so concerned about my once again perceived lack of thriftiness. I've long tried to stay away from responding to your uninformed posts about finances, insurance, investing, etc. but you really have no clue what you're talking about.

James Ford

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 11:47:45 am »
Great job managing your finances!

I'm not accusing you of anything. I myself buy craft beer, eat good food, and go on nice vacations. I also don't buy lots of "things".  We're probably very alike in those respects.

But don't call yourself thrifty, at least when it comes to food and beverage purchases, on a food coupon thread! I mean, come on!

And I don't for one second believe that picture was a picture of you.

Nah, no lessons.

Depending on how much you make and what other bills you have, one can certainly afford to dine and drink at the establishments that get mentioned in the Gastro and Beer threads on this board. But I'd hardly call a diet of gourmet DC restaurants and craft beer (and wine and liquor?) as being "thrifty".

I bet way more than the average American. Though perhaps your income is way higher than the average American.

Just the idea of Julian or Yada doing any coupon clipping/money saving of any kind had me laughing! Particularly for something like Outback.

I'm glad my perceived spending habits make you laugh... but I'm actually quite thrifty. 

I feel like this is headed towards another James Ford life lesson on why you should never spend money. 

James, my mortgage last year = about 7.5% of me and my wife's gross income. I maxed out my 401k and my wife maxed out her SEP account, we invested a additional amount of money in the market, AND... we have life insurance. I don't buy "things." I spend money on doing things I enjoy; drinking, eating, seeing music, traveling. I buy clothes at Target or actually... I don't buy clothes. And based on the picture I posted of myself last week, I obviously don't get haircuts.

I'm glad you're so concerned about my once again perceived lack of thriftiness. I've long tried to stay away from responding to your uninformed posts about finances, insurance, investing, etc. but you really have no clue what you're talking about.

hutch

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »
James Ford you are so annoying when you get on your money management soapbox... just cut it out...nobody likes it...WTF? Who are you to tell people what to do with their money?

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »
+1
slack

James Ford

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 01:19:34 pm »
Buyer beware on this one.

The last time I was in P Street Whole Foods, their growler fill prices were so, so, so much higher than the growler fill prices at Foggy Bottom Whole Foods, that this offer was pointless.

I used mine way back when, and it was worth it then. I actually logged into my account recently, and found that my previous transaction hadn't invalidated my certificate. In essence, I could have a second (or maybe even more) certificate at no cost. But prices on the beer started at prices well above $10. So you were only getting a $10 discount on way overpriced beer, and in my case a growler I didn't need. So I passed.

worth repeating... expires July 8:

$8 Growler of Craft Beer from Whole Foods Market P Street (Regularly $15)
P Street - Logan Circle

Growlers are now on tap at Whole Foods Market P Street! Get this deal and take home a 32oz. growler ($5 value) filled with $10 worth of delicious beer.

Limit one certificate per transaction * Tax not included * No cash back * No cash value * Present certificate prior to ordering * Valid at P Street location only * Offer good towards one 32 oz. or 64 oz. growler ($5 value) filled with up to $10 worth of beer * Must be 21 or older with valid photo ID * Promotional value expires July 8, 2014.

http://realdeal.washingtoncitypaper.com/deals/whole-foods-growler-with-10-worth-of-craft-beer-15-value

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 01:21:07 pm »
I guess sometimes the truth hurts?

If you're eating meals at Le Diplomat and  places of that ilk, you're not a thrifty eater.

A couple we're friends with both make six figure, do all their food shopping at Costco, get all their beer from Sam Adams mix packs, cut coupons out of the Sunday paper, and dine at ethnic restaurants in strip malls. That's eating thrifty.

James Ford you are so annoying when you get on your money management soapbox... just cut it out...nobody likes it...WTF? Who are you to tell people what to do with their money?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:25:57 pm by James Ford »

atomic

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 01:31:11 pm »
Nah, no lessons.

Ha I got you beat.  My wife's mortgage is 4.3 percent of our combined income.   I will have to end up moving when my child is ready for school but right now I am enjoying not having much of a mortgage. 

I like to spend money it is fun.  I like expensive jeans, glasses, shirts, watches, cars.  I like to go to expensive restaurants and order expensive food.  I like staying in 5 star hotels when I am on vacation.    If I wasn't going to spend so much money I could get a job that is fun like being a lifeguard. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »

If you're eating meals at Le Diplomat and  places of that ilk, you're not a thrifty eater.

A couple we're friends with both make six figure, do all their food shopping at Costco, get all their beer from Sam Adams mix packs, cut coupons out of the Sunday paper, and dine at ethnic restaurants in strip malls. That's eating thrifty.

what's your goal of being thrifty/frugal, JF? one can be frugal or thrifty for decades, and find themselves in a financial situation where they can start to splurge in certain areas, and continue to be thrifty in others.  i call this "investing in yourself".  sounds like yada has been plenty thrifty in his lifetime if he's allowed the luxuries you speak of, and you maybe should be asking him for advice rather than providing yours unsolicited.  

atomic

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:17 pm »

Sounds like a bunch of losers.  

Yada

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 01:35:32 pm »

I love cheap ethnic food too and I shop at Safeway. I'm sure you criticize your wealthy friends for not cooking their own feijoada like you and your wife.

atomic

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »

what's your goal of being thrifty/frugal, JF? one can be frugal or thrifty for decades, and find themselves in a financial situation where they can start to splurge in certain areas, and continue to be thrifty in others.  i call this "investing in yourself".  sounds like yada has been plenty thrifty in his lifetime if he's allowed the luxuries you speak of, and you maybe should be asking him for advice rather than providing yours unsolicited.  

Yeah I worked with a guy likes James Ford.  Cheap as could be.  Drove around in some old clunker, would always bring his lunch couldn't spend money on anything and then got laid off.  It took him 9 months to get a job.  This was right after 9/11 when no one was hiring.  He was wiped out.

hutch

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »

I just don't see what business it is of yours to determine whether other people are thrifty or not or EVEN whether being thrifty is a good thing or not...

Its just bad form.

It has nothing to do with the "truth" as you don't really know anything about people on this board and their finances but the bottom line is its just bad form...

Now if someone invites you to analyze or comment on their finances that's an entirely different matter.

Personally I find your attempts to analyze people's finances and parenting decisions to be offensive and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I get it where it comes from though...clearly some deepseated insecurities make you need to validate yourself with your great choices as opposed to others.... its a truly insecure weak man that only feels good about himself by putting others down.

atomic

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:15 pm »

I love cheap ethnic food too and I shop at Safeway. I'm sure you criticize your wealthy friends for not cooking their own feijoada like you and your wife.

Why are we having an argument about who is the most frugal?  I don't eat cheap ethnic food though.  I think the one thing you should never scrimp on is the quality of food.  No matter how much money you have if you don't have your health you have nothing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 01:40:17 pm »
I used mine way back when, and it was worth it then. I actually logged into my account recently, and found that my previous transaction hadn't invalidated my certificate. In essence, I could have a second (or maybe even more) certificate at no cost.

you will always be able to go back to the website and print yourself another coupon.  i don't believe that WF's computers are reporting back to the coupon website when a voucher is used.  you'll note there is a "mark this coupon as used" button - the website doesn't know if it's still valid.  if you print up another copy want walk into WF with it, it will come up as "used" at the WF register.

growler fills are stupid expensive at P Street.  the $7 discount on a 32 oz probably makes sense.  since i don't have a 32 and want one, i'll probably cash in on this at some point.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:58 pm »
I like to spend money it is fun.  I like expensive jeans, glasses, shirts, watches, cars.  I like to go to expensive restaurants and order expensive food.  I like staying in 5 star hotels when I am on vacation.    If I wasn't going to spend so much money I could get a job that is fun like being a lifeguard. 

out of curiosity, what expensive jeans do you buy? 

personally i buy one pair of raw denim a year.  i work outdoors about 50% of the time, so when my nice jeans get old, i rotate them to my work jeans rotation.  i'll have a pair of nice denim for 5+ years.  financially it probably works out to be a wash... lower quality jeans i blow through every 6 months or so.