Author Topic: Who wants to talk about, you know, music?  (Read 4725 times)

hutch

Who wants to talk about, you know, music?
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:12:19 am »

woke up and put in the stone roses turns to stone cd....still sounds great.. guess this music is timeless....amazing its in the main a quarter century old...a quarter century is about the time it took between the Beatles and the Stone Roses... anyways the tunes had me bopping around in a good mood as they usually do...

so did they ever tour the US after reforming? just Coachella? seems a shame...a lost opportunity although I guess they never were much of a live band...still would have been fun...

hutch

Re: Who wants to talk about, you know, music?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:24:07 am »
I guess news of the Stone Roses reunion broke three years ago to the day....not much seems to have happened other than a some intermittent tour dates.........just a cash grab I guess..............the mandatory "we've cut a few new songs" statements to the press....

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:28 am »
I love the Stone Roses. I always thought I Wanna Be Adored would be a great walk-on song for a baseball closer. You'd hear that and just go "whoa! shut this thing down, its over already." Kansas City has a hell of a bullpen, btw.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:42 am »
Their music is so timeless that I haven't listened to them in at least 15 years. Thanks for the inspiration though. I think I have one of their extended 12" vinyl e.p.'s or something like that. I'll have to go back and listen. Bopping is always fun.

I wonder how the STONE Roses feel about the Catholic Church softening their stance on things such as same sex relationships and adultery? I wonder if Muslim leaders will follow suit? Maybe they will advise STONing homesexuals with smaller STONES.

And speaking of STONE, really looking forward to STONE Brewing's arrival in Richmond.

ggw

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:06:20 am »
I'm totally stoned right now.

Yada

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
Their music is so timeless that I haven't listened to them in at least 15 years. Thanks for the inspiration though. I think I have one of their extended 12" vinyl e.p.'s or something like that. I'll have to go back and listen. Bopping is always fun.

I wonder how the STONE Roses feel about the Catholic Church softening their stance on things such as same sex relationships and adultery? I wonder if Muslim leaders will follow suit? Maybe they will advise STONing homesexuals with smaller STONES.

And speaking of STONE, really looking forward to STONE Brewing's arrival in Richmond.

I was excited about the Stone brewery announcement and then I realized I average a trip every six years to Richmond, so I don't see how this will benefit me.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:19 am »
I wish I was last night. Would've aided in passing that kidney stone. Good god. Who wants to talk about, you know, my urethra?
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:23:22 am »
O my. I'm making a mental note to send you some ROSES. I hear they are timeless.

I wish I was last night. Would've aided in passing that kidney stone. Good god. Who wants to talk about, you know, my urethra?

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 09:44:46 am »
Kinda threw me off with the title there "turns to stone" ...it's a compilation

But their self titled Debut...like the The Clash's first LP, the US edition is far superior
US includes Elephant Stone and the 9 min version of Fools Gold...possibly the two best songs on there (and there are a lot)

Too bad they couldn't repeat the success of that album (and the ep/singles around it)

Second coming was really a let down as well as the subsequent tour

Always been one of my favorite disc's

also tiny factoid I didn't know
Peter Hook ? production on "Elephant Stone"

edit...duh ... I knew about John Leckie ? production, didn't know about hooky
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:26:19 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:45:32 am »
gonna pull a walky here...but this seems more appropriate for the Hutch thread
slack

hutch

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »
well Elephant Stone and Fools Gold are both on the compilation..its really good... songs like Going Down, Mersey Paradise, The hardest thing in the world...

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »
on that note, just ran across this
Hooky's Elephant stone

First: I have discovered what I believe to be the original, pre-John Leckie, mix of the Stone Roses "Elephant Stone", as mixed by Peter Hook (New Order/Joy Division bassist, and producer for the "Elephant Stone" sessions) before John Leckie came on board and remixed it for the Roses' debut release on Silvertone.

And anybody who has an original Elephant Stone 12" or CD single already has this ;)

How? That's for you to discover ;)

It's funny - this has been under the fans' noses for 21 years now and I've NEVER known anybody to mention, discuss or even think about it. But I do like this mix - it's far less busy than Leckie's mix, it's more organic-sounding, and I'm just pleased as punch I'm able to bring this out.

Second: Well, I had some other stuff to post here about the "Elephant Stone" CD single, but in the end it's just a bunch of technical bullshit that 99% of my readers won't understand. But if you've ever listened to a rip of your original Silvertone ORE CD 1 on your iPod or computer, and you wonder why it sounds so horribly shrill, rest assured it's not your box but it's Silvertone's horrible mastering of the 7" and 12" mixes (the other B-sides are not affected, oddly enough!).
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »
New Funk Ark is great
T.Rex

Got Haggis?

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 02:58:57 pm »
i just bought both of these because my old western pistol c$c shirt isn't in the greatest condition

http://atomageindustries.bigcartel.com/artist/cop-shoot-cop

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
Damn, those both look awesome.