Author Topic: Dylan Roll Call  (Read 2942 times)

palahniukkubrick

Dylan Roll Call
« on: November 14, 2006, 06:06:00 pm »
Anyone else gonna catch his show on Friday? I'm excited to see him for the first time, although friends have said to not get my hopes up too high because he's not a very good performer. Apparently he croaks his lyrics and only plays keyboards. Hmm...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Dylan Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »
yup, i'll be there.  yup, he's not an impressive performer - so expectations are being managed accordingly, but definitely still looking forward to the show.  the fact that you can understand his lyrics on the record is pure studio magic that can't be recreated live   :)
<sig>

thingsfallapart

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »
Don't have any sort of hope.  Sometimes he's insufferable, other times merely mediocre.  And yeah he only plays keys now.

anarchist

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »
i have seen dylan 3 x's in the past 2 yrs. went bacause i never paid. i won't go again even if it is free.    the back up band is good.  dylan sux.  he only plays keyboards now and you can't understand a word he is saying. plus you can hardly make out what song he is playing.   i think they always put out guitars and a mic for him at the guitar position just in case he decides to go that route.  the opening acts are good.

terry

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be pickup:
  Anyone else gonna catch his show on Friday? I'm excited to see him for the first time, although friends have said to not get my hopes up too high because he's not a very good performer. Apparently he croaks his lyrics and only plays keyboards. Hmm...
Yep, I'll be there. People have given me similar comments. And after reading all the posts here, I am so PUMPED to see him!  :D

PigIron

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  i have seen dylan 3 x's in the past 2 yrs. went bacause i never paid. i won't go again even if it is free.    the back up band is good.  dylan sux.  he only plays keyboards now and you can't understand a word he is saying. plus you can hardly make out what song he is playing.   i think they always put out guitars and a mic for him at the guitar position just in case he decides to go that route.  the opening acts are good.
Going, although I keep swearing that I'll never go back to this horrid venue.  Also, please tell me where you keep getting free Dylan tickets, as Ticketmaster charged me about 80 bucks apiece.

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 12:29:00 am »
i'll be there, to see the master dylan and that jack white circus show side act.  can't wait.  got a great seat somehow, as well, though still don't believe you can "tailgate" at patriot like someone on here said, seeing how it's a college.  but what do i know.  

dylan could just sit there eating french fries and ketchup and tell the audience to "go to hell and you die," and it'd be worth it.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 12:45:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:
 dylan could just sit there eating french fries and ketchup and tell the audience to "go to hell and you die," and it'd be worth it.
And he probably will.

lukiedookie89

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 07:29:00 am »
I'll be there, it'll be my first time seeing him.  Yeah, I heard he's whatever, but that his backing band is amazing.  And I'm looking forward to seeing the Raconteurs.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 08:17:00 am »
I'll be there.  It'll be something like my 10th Dylan show.

Dylan most certainly does not suck these days, but you need to be prepared for what you're going to hear.  You're not getting the "classic" Bob Dylan sound.  It's not going to be Bob and an acoustic guitar singing folk songs.  You're getting the Dylan that made "Time Out Of Mind", "Love And Theft" and "Modern Times".  If you don't like the way those records sound (both musically and vocally), then stay home - you're going to hate the show.

I'm with you on the keyboard thing though.

K8teebug

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 09:02:00 am »
I wish I was going.  I don't care if he doesn't sound tip top...he's still Bob Dylan.

I saw him 2 years ago, and have seen him about 8 times total, and he still sings some of his older stuff.  Just not the whole time.

pela123

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »
seems like in the past 5 years his performances have deteriorated a bit.  I've seen him about 8 times from 1994-2001, and the period right after his heart attack was his best.  I randomly saw him play a college prom in 1996...strangest scenario ever, but I was about 3 feet away from the man, and he put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. He may not be performing at his best anymore, but the man is still a legend.

BookerT

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
i'll be there, but honestly it's only because i'll feel terrible if he dies soon and i'll have missed his last area show. and that's been my reasoning the past couple times. the first few stadium shows were pretty fun. the one back in august was not good. i saw him at some arena a few years ago (bender?) and that wasn't very good. sure, his backing band is good, but i mean, who cares? we ain't paying $60 for top session players. maybe playing the new material will revitalize him. we'll see.

Mobius

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 02:56:00 am »
This show was fantastic.  Dylan's band was super tight and rolling.  Dylan in fine form.  Really good overview of modern Dylan - new songs done well, Plus Love Sick. Cold Irons Bound.  Mixed w/ a fine selection of classics - Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (highlight for me), Tangled Up in Blue, Highway 61, Boots of Spanish Leather.  A clear Masters of War.   Just a really nicely done show.  Raconteurs rocked.  Full hour set.  Bowie cover.  Great mix of melodic and rocking stuff.  Jack White on fire yet also deferring to Brendon.  Highly enjoyable night at the Patriot Center.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 04:00:00 am »
what mobius said.  

need to grab a few zzz's, but damn that was a fine show.  maybe it was because we arrived with lowered expectations, but my group left rather impressed.  raconteurs were several times better tonight then at VFest.  saw Jack rocking out during dylan's set behind the security gate, he was digin' it.  dylan mixed up the old with the new, all the while messing with cadence, phrasing and delivery so that it was impossible to sing along - one had not choice but to shut up and listen.  backing band was as slick as a half-inch of 10W30.  apparently a majority of dylan's fans are male and alcoholic, 'cause i've never seen line-ups for the mens' room that long.
<sig>