Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 115234 times)

hutch

Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:10 pm »
I dunno..here's a ramble tamble....Bowie is just on a different level really to any musician I can think of that has died to this point... because it was far more than just the music...Elvis Presley (who I am not an especially huge fan of) comes closest when you think of the effect on popular culture that David Bowie had...He really was an artist of the highest order..even his death turned into performance art of the highest order.. or do we think he didn't script his final album to be released when it was (one has to imagine he knew full well he would be dead either shortly before or after its release).. or the lyrics insert which is all black...or the lyrics themselves which reflect mortality and a summing up....or his current single which is called Lazarus (back from the dead).. I have not even seen the video but I can imagine...

I love Motorhead and the Specials as much as the next guy but David Bowie is in a very unique place probably by himself....Even a guy like Bob Dylan (my number one) simply does not have the impact of a David Bowie on the world's of fashion, video, movies, sexuality, the very concept of "creativity", etc etc...

Anything one says about Bowie is going to fall short of taking the full measure of the man and his impact I'm afraid. When I said Bowie was God I was only half joking...... ...Of course many people, most people, do not realize the impact he "indirectly" had on their lives...it was comical watching CNN and Carol Costello (I think that was her name - I really like her btw- was on) with some resident CNN guy pretending to know about art/culture.. and he asks her what her favorite song of Bowie's was and she chimes in with "Space Odyssey" and he volunteers "Heroes from the 1980s" and I paraphrase "MTV Videos"..but whether you ever even listened to his music much less liked it or paid attention to it or knew who he was I think its hard not to recognize that he had an impact on your life....which is why his absence after the heart attack was such a bummer.. because you knew there was this empty void and he would not/could not fill it...and nobody else could either... which made it so awesome when he comes back with the Next Day and now this album.. and you just hoped against hope even though logic told you there was no way , you just hoped you could see him one time.. one more time and say thanks and give him the ovation and be in his presence (now that maybe you had aged and learned to appreciate him even more...no way would I be late to his concert at the Capitol Ballrom now you said) but instead he said thank you to you, left you one final parting gift and the next day he was gone...

like I said..a ramble tamble

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:05:42 pm by hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:20 pm »
First Dale, now this shit.  :'(
Did Dick Dale die or are you referring to Earnhart?

The Intimidator.

One of my NC friends once told me Jon Edwards once quoted one of his constituents originating the phrase I used, in the days after 9/11 happened.

Now, I use it anytime something terrible happens.

K8teebug

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:42 pm »
I dunno..here's a ramble tamble....Bowie is just on a different level really to any musician I can think of that has died to this point... because it was far more than just the music...Elvis Presley (who I am not an especially huge fan of) comes closest when you think of the effect on popular culture that David Bowie had...He really was an artist of the highest order..even his death turned into performance art of the highest order.. or do we think he didn't script his final album to be released when it was (one has to imagine he knew full well he would be dead either shortly before or after its release).. or the lyrics insert which is all black...or the lyrics themselves which reflect mortality and a summing up....or his current single which is called Lazarus (back from the dead).. I have not even seen the video but I can imagine...

I love Motorhead and the Specials as much as the next guy but David Bowie is in a very unique place probably by himself....Even a guy like Bob Dylan (my number one) simply does not have the impact of a David Bowie on the world's of fashion, video, movies, sexuality, the very concept of "creativity", etc etc...

Anything one says about Bowie is going to fall short of taking the full measure of the man and his impact I'm afraid. When I said Bowie was God I was only half joking...... ...Of course many people, most people, do not realize the impact he "indirectly" had on their lives...it was comical watching CNN and Carol Costello (I think that was her name - I really like her btw- was on) with some resident CNN guy pretending to know about art/culture.. and he asks her what her favorite song of Bowie's was and she chimes in with "Space Odyssey" and he volunteers "Heroes from the 1980s" and I paraphrase "MTV Videos"..but whether you ever even listened to his music much less liked it or paid attention to it or knew who he was I think its hard not to recognize that he had an impact on your life....which is why his absence after the heart attack was such a bummer.. because you knew there was this empty void and he would not/could not fill it...and nobody else could either... which made it so awesome when he comes back with the Next Day and now this album.. and you just hoped against hope even though logic told you there was no way , you just hoped you could see him one time.. one more time and say thanks and give him the ovation and be in his presence (now that maybe you had aged and learned to appreciate him even more...no way would I be late to his concert at the Capitol Ballrom now you said) but instead he said thank you to you, left you one final parting gift and the next day he was gone...

like I said..a ramble tamble

Wonderfully said.

walk,on,by

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2016, 12:37:54 pm »
I liked bowie and thought his music was good, but damn, this obsession that people have with famous people, is a downright damn dirty cult. Motherfuckers out there, acting like Jesus just died.

vansmack

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 12:42:13 pm »
I liked bowie and thought his music was good, but damn, this obsession that people have with famous people, is a downright damn dirty cult. Motherfuckers out there, acting like Jesus just died.

Perhaps I can put this in context for you....

Well hung and snow white tan.
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2016, 12:45:28 pm »
Oh, I don't think it's an obsession. I think that it's a matter of people losing a figure that was 'present' throughout most of their lives. You're not going to see this kind of outburst for, say, Grimes or Kendrick Lamar because we've only had those artists in our lives for a year or two. But a lot of people grew up listening to Bowie (and Lou and Lemmy) and had parents who were big fans and who had memorable moments involving their music.

I don't like idolatry at all, but seeing that Bowie died was a big deal because his life's work has always been this presence in my life. I never met him, never knew him, never cared to meet him really, but I've spent thousands of hours listening to his music and thinking about how he created it. So his death is meaningful to me.
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2016, 01:15:38 pm »

Are you a robot? Hey, this is a board about music. We come here to discuss with other people that love music. So when a musician we respect and touches us in a personal way that no other musician has, we pay our respects, talk about that connection, the talent they had, and why it's a loss. It's part of the human experience. So if you've not a part of that thought process, sucky for you. This has NOTHING to do with fame and everything to do with talent and the personal level that we feel to a person's art. Is it strange and inexplicable? Yup. But you're not going to ruin it or take it away with your neghead shit.

Unsanity

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »
Wow David Bowie is gone just like that. Right after Lemmy too? 2016 is harsh on rock stars so far. I loved most of his music and was digging "Black Star" and who doesn't love "Labyrinth"? 

walk,on,by

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2016, 01:28:05 pm »

Are you a robot? Hey, this is a board about music. We come here to discuss with other people that love music. So when a musician we respect and touches us in a personal way that no other musician has, we pay our respects, talk about that connection, the talent they had, and why it's a loss. It's part of the human experience. So if you've not a part of that thought process, sucky for you. This has NOTHING to do with fame and everything to do with talent and the personal level that we feel to a person's art. Is it strange and inexplicable? Yup. But you're not going to ruin it or take it away with your neghead shit.

You got something, against robots?

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2016, 01:32:23 pm »
one of my favorite liner notes of all time
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

K8teebug

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2016, 01:55:10 pm »
I can't handle the short tv segments about him. I don't want to know what cnn thought about david bowie. I will go home and watch all the stuff I recorded off Palladia this weekend and open some wine and dance around the living room with my husband tonight.

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2016, 02:02:55 pm »
The Roots, Mountain Goats, Cyndi Lauper, Perry Farrell & more playing David Bowie tribute concert at Carnegie Hall

As The NY Times eerily announced about two hours before today's tragic news, Michael Dorf's annual tribute concert at Carnegie Hall will be for the late, great David Bowie this year. The show happens March 31 with The Roots, The Mountain Goats, Cyndi Lauper, Jakob Dylan, Bettye LaVette, Ann Wilson of Heart, Perry Farrell, and "surprise guests." Bowie's longtime producer Tony Visconti is putting the house band together.

Tickets go on sale today (1/11) at 11 AM, and proceeds benefit Young Audiences New York, Little Kids Rock, Church Street School of Music, the Center for Arts Education, the American Symphony Orchestra and Grammy in the Schools.

Bowie's latest album, Blackstar, came out three days ago, on his 69th birthday.

Read tributes from The Mountain Goats, Questlove of The Roots, and Cyndi Lauper, below...
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2016, 02:28:16 pm »
slack