Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 112724 times)

bearman🐻

Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2016, 09:03:10 pm »
i am basically living, by the classic, yet maybe stupid theory, that there are more important people who have lived on the planet to get this worked up over when they die.  yes, bowie was great, yes, bowie was a pioneer of music, yes bowie influenced so many musicians, yes bowie was a star, yes bowie was timeless, but no, bowie was not a god.  bowie was not more important than people who just eradicated ebola, bowie was not more important than world leaders, bowie was not more important than the guy who builds the roads I drive on.

that's just how i feel, whether ridiculous or not. 

I'm not suggesting he's a god. You're implying that we aren't smart enough to realize that an artist is infallible and imperfect. In fact, Bowie's human qualities are probably what his fans relate to the most, which is why I find it amusing that you're judging us for saying kind things about the fact that he existed.  I don't think any of us think he was some sort of supreme being. Nobody is. Mortality seems like a good opportunity and time to express the opinion that what he had WAS special relative to so many others. You also need to remember that an artist like Bowie helped many people find themselves. He did his own thing and found his own identity and voice and expressed it a dynamic spectrum of song, words, and visual presentation. It opened up people's eyes in a new way.  In the 1970's when being gay could land you in jail in England he came out and said he was different. And that sort of thing can give an isolated person the courage to look in the mirror and say "I need to be true to myself, even if I'm afraid". And I know a lot of people that felt that way. The guy who built the road you drove on is important too, but he's not going to have the same influence and it's unrealistic to think he would. But to imply that we are disrespecting the human race is absurd. Especially considering the atrocious acts that occur on a daily basis in the world. Bowie the example of someone that made the world better for a select few. If that's not worth taking a moment to reflect on, I don't know what is.

walk,on,by

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:40 pm »
i appreciate, speaking to you regarding this.  you seem, like an intelligent person, and yes, sometimes i hate people.

bearman🐻

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2016, 09:40:43 pm »
i appreciate, speaking to you regarding this.  you seem, like an intelligent person, and yes, sometimes i hate people.

It's ok. I get tired of people and their nonsense too. Nothing wrong with that. And you raise a good point. The idea of celebrity is a silly one. Fame is a strange concept and it shouldn't be revered.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:42:15 pm by bearman »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2016, 10:22:24 pm »
I heard recently that there were 50,000 symphonies written between 1750 and 1850. We remember a handful of composers.  Will we be talking about David Bowie in a hundred years?

killsaly

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2016, 11:14:53 pm »
We still talk about Oscar Wilde, so maybe.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2016, 11:24:49 pm »
bowie was not more important than people who just eradicated ebola, bowie was not more important than world leaders, bowie was not more important than the guy who builds the roads I drive on.

i dunno about your assessment... i would say that bowie, and several other musicians, has had a bigger impact on my life than people who just eradicated ebola (i nor my loved ones have ebola), or world leaders (on the whole, very few of them affect me).  i'll concede to the guy who builds the roads I drive on (although i've spent more hours with bowie than with any one man's roads).

no one is saying he is/was a god.  just an artist who touched us and influenced us more than most others.  that's all.  apologies if you've reached your threshold... might wanna unplug for a few days.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:56:13 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2016, 12:33:52 am »
walkie, you're such a contrarian...

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2016, 12:42:27 am »
 apologies if you've reached your threshold...
exactly.

Saw Holy Holy tonight and I got to say it was f'n great.
It was bizzare and the venue in general.  We got there at 7:45 and 90% of the people were seated and set for the night.

So nice to be able to spend some time with a few spiders from mars

5 years and Lady Stardust were just what I needed.
So many rocking tunes, I love mick's guitar, didn't really do it justice, but the closest I'll ever come to seeing it

Glenn Gregory did a impressive job with a difficult catalog to play from

Woody and Toni were great, especially durring She Shook Me Cold.

Really fun show and glad I went.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:46:12 am by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ★ »
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2016, 08:22:42 am »
Please, for the love of god . . . Go read what pat Robertson said about the death of bowie.

K8teebug

« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2016, 08:47:35 am »
I can't handle Pat Robertson.

K8teebug

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2016, 08:50:16 am »
I worked on this for a bit last night. It's only the first layer.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAi1xT8RJLa/?taken-by=k8teebug

« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2016, 09:51:37 am »
Please, for the love of god . . . Go read what pat Robertson said about the death of bowie.
I really make it a point to never read what Pat Robertson says, so I'm not changing my stance on that

I did see and odd thing on a curch last night
Sunday's sermon "MLK and Bowie and what it all means"
that is just something I never really expected
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2016, 09:52:31 am »

very impressive.  keep us posted on progress.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2016, 10:02:39 am »
That's really good.
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2016, 10:09:59 am »
I really make it a point to never read what Pat Robertson says, so I'm not changing my stance on that

I did see and odd thing on a curch last night
Sunday's sermon "MLK and Bowie and what it all means"
that is just something I never really expected

i, will paraphrase for you, then.  Pat, claimed that Bowie is really alive, has been kidnapped by demons, and is in Hell playing concerts for satan, because according to him, Satan is tired of heavy metal music.  Now that, is a good one.