Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 115099 times)

hutch

Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2016, 10:20:03 am »

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:39 am »
Please, for the love of god . . . Go read what pat Robertson said about the death of bowie.
I really make it a point to never read what Pat Robertson says, so I'm not changing my stance on that
i, will paraphrase for you, then.  Pat, claimed that Bowie is really alive, has been kidnapped by demons, and is in Hell playing concerts for satan, because according to him, Satan is tired of heavy metal music.  Now that, is a good one.
wow that is good stuff.

So wonder what those tickets are going for...I guess you have to pay with your soul?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2016, 10:50:57 am »
Is this the Pat Robertson article you guys are referencing?

http://www.newslo.com/david-bowie/

walk,on,by

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2016, 11:26:30 am »
Is this the Pat Robertson article you guys are referencing?

http://www.newslo.com/david-bowie/

i enjoyed, that at the top of that page, there was a click ad for healthcare.gov, that says "for the amount of time you can watch an online cat video, you can get health insurance."

K8teebug

« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2016, 12:57:15 pm »
Please, for the love of god . . . Go read what pat Robertson said about the death of bowie.
I really make it a point to never read what Pat Robertson says, so I'm not changing my stance on that

I did see and odd thing on a curch last night
Sunday's sermon "MLK and Bowie and what it all means"
that is just something I never really expected

i, will paraphrase for you, then.  Pat, claimed that Bowie is really alive, has been kidnapped by demons, and is in Hell playing concerts for satan, because according to him, Satan is tired of heavy metal music.  Now that, is a good one.

That is hilarious.

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2016, 04:38:58 pm »
as we all know...death is always a good career move

19 BOWIE ALBUMS AND 13 SINGLES IN UK TOP 100

?I never thought I?d need so many people...?

David Bowie is the Starman of the Official Chart as the nation pays tribute to a music icon

Over half a million Bowie records sold in the UK this week

Bowie commands one quarter of the Official Albums Chart Top 40

19 Bowie albums and 13 singles enter the Top 100

As the nation mourns the sad passing of David Bowie this week, the star?s continued impact on music shows as he dominates this week?s Official Chart.

Bowie?s new album Blackstar debuts at Number 1 with combined sales of almost 150,000, giving him his tenth chart-topping record and the fastest selling album of the year so far.

Importantly, Blackstar was already headed for Number 1 before news of Bowie?s death broke; early sales flashes last weekend revealed the record was head and shoulders above the competition.

Including Blackstar, over half a million Bowie records were picked up this week in the UK - totalling 623,000 combined sales and streams. The figure includes 241,000 album sales, 167,000 singles purchased, and Bowie tracks were streamed over 19 million times on audio streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, Deezer and more.

Ten of the late icon?s albums command one quarter of this week?s Official Albums Chart Top 40, and 19 entries in the albums Top 100.

His 2014 retrospective Nothing Has Changed ? The Very Best Of is the highest re-entry at Number 5, followed by The Best Of 1969/1974 at Number 11.

The full list of his 19 albums in this week?s Official Albums Chart appears below:

01 - BLACKSTAR - RCA
 05 - NOTHING HAS CHANGED - THE VERY BEST OF DAVID BOWIE - PARLOPHONE
 11 - THE BEST OF 1969/1974 - PARLOPHONE
 14 - HUNKY DORY - PARLOPHONE
 17 - THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST - PARLOPHONE
 18 - BEST OF BOWIE - PARLOPHONE
 23 - ALADDIN SANE - PARLOPHONE
 25 - THE NEXT DAY - RCA
 31 - LOW - PARLOPHONE
 37 - DIAMOND DOGS - PARLOPHONE
 42 - LET'S DANCE - PARLOPHONE
 45 - "HEROES" - PARLOPHONE
 55 - STATION TO STATION - PARLOPHONE
 59 - THE BEST OF - 1980/1987 PARLOPHONE
 60 - YOUNG AMERICANS - PARLOPHONE
 61 - SCARY MONSTERS - PARLOPHONE
 89 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - PARLOPHONE
 95 - SPACE ODDITY - PARLOPHONE
 97 - FIVE YEARS - 1969-1973 - PARLOPHONE

View the full Albums Top 100 here: http://smarturl.it/OCCTop100Albums

Bowie?s entries on this week?s Official Singles Chart:
 12 - HEROES - PARLOPHONE
 16 - LIFE ON MARS - PARLOPHONE
 18 - STARMAN - PARLOPHONE
 23 - LET'S DANCE - PARLOPHONE
 24 - SPACE ODDITY - PARLOPHONE
 43 - UNDER PRESSURE - QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE - VIRGIN
 45 - LAZARUS - RCA
 49 - CHANGES - PARLOPHONE
 61 - BLACKSTAR - RCA
 62 - ASHES TO ASHES - PARLOPHONE
 65 - REBEL REBEL - PARLOPHONE
 76 - ZIGGY STARDUST - PARLOPHONE
 97 - CHINA GIRL - PARLOPHONE
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2016, 09:07:08 am »
 David Bowie was my North Star: My peace and escape was in his music, especially side two of ?Hunky Dory?

Dad would disappear, classmates would bully me. David Bowie not only pulled me through, I dreamed of becoming him

Rhett Miller

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/16/david_bowie_was_my_north_star_my_peace_and_escape_was_in_his_music_especially_side_two_of_hunky_dory/

hutch

« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2016, 11:04:45 am »
David Bowie was my North Star: My peace and escape was in his music, especially side two of ?Hunky Dory?

Dad would disappear, classmates would bully me. David Bowie not only pulled me through, I dreamed of becoming him

Rhett Miller

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/16/david_bowie_was_my_north_star_my_peace_and_escape_was_in_his_music_especially_side_two_of_hunky_dory/

my computer blows.. does it end with the word "faggot" or does it go on??

pretty good read...

its kinda weird to think of miller being such a bowie fan and ending up playing alt-country..

bowie's influence "merely" on music is incalculable... on culture fuggedaboutit

I was enjoying Scary Monsters this morning..what a treat.. I like the Bowie late 70s stuff that hasn't been bludgeoned into my brain by popular culture..it retains an edge..

Space Freely

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2016, 11:41:44 am »

Rhett Miller

pretty good read...

its kinda weird to think of miller being such a bowie fan and ending up playing alt-country..

bowie's influence "merely" on music is incalculable... on culture fuggedaboutit

I was enjoying Scary Monsters this morning..what a treat.. I like the Bowie late 70s stuff that hasn't been bludgeoned into my brain by popular culture..it retains an edge..

I think it does weirdly end there.

Rhett has long been a 60's/70's Britrock, including Bowie, fan. Murry and the rest of the band are the ones who pull him more toward the country spectrum.

Relaxer

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
oword

hutch

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »
^ I saw that yesterday.. that is a great picture!..look at that birdie! by the way I have that cd that came free with uncut..its a Dylan covers cd...

I can't help but think about bowie living all those years in NYC as a fairly regular guy.. I've seen pics of him hauling shopping bags from the grocery store around..

I do believe that is a Yankees cap too

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2016, 04:31:32 pm »
...a capitalist whore...

I knew his songs have been used in ads for years (most likely since he no longer owned the rights)

but this advert for French water is the first time I've seen him in an ad

it's pretty darn good to be honest with all the 'characters' of his career

acutally just found this...A Brief History of David Bowie?s TV Commercial Appearances
slack

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2016, 04:38:47 pm »
slack

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2016, 06:16:49 pm »

Here's the complete piece:

About the time I reached adolescence, my dad started to disappear. For days at a time. Without explanation. Even when he was around, he was aggressively unavailable. This was tough on my mom, who worked long hours in a psychiatrist?s office, as well as my younger siblings. During those years, the household offered moments of warmth, but mostly alternated between desolation and hostility. I found peace and escape in music.

My first love was Joan Jett. When, as a 10-year-old, I spent most of the spring trapped in a hospital bed with a mysterious inner-ear imbalance, she was there boasting about her bad reputation from the little flip-top turntable on my window ledge. That summer, after my equally mysterious recovery, I was listening to the radio in my own bedroom when KZEW played an episode of the King Biscuit Flower Hour that featured a Joan Jett concert. I cocked my head as Eric ?Roscoe? Ambel broke into the opening riff of ?Rebel Rebel.? What was this? This wasn?t a Joan Jett song. It brimmed with drama, wrapped its power chords in layers of meaning. Text and subtext. Disenfranchisement and desire. The sound of dirty fingernails. The next day I rode my bike to Half Price Books and Records on McKinney Avenue and paid $3.99 for a battered copy of ?Changes One Bowie.?

Its iconic black-and-white cover sat propped up in my room for the next handful of years. Before long it felt like a family photograph. This dapper, distinguished gentleman with a twinkle in his eye might be an uncle or an ancestor. He might be my dad. I saved my meager allowance. I stole small sums from my mom?s unattended purse in the dead of night. I rode my bike to Half Price almost every day looking for whatever Bowie albums I could afford and didn?t yet own. I wedged the arm up on my turntable, tricking the device into playing one side of an album on endless repeat. I would sleep that way, side two of ?Hunky Dory,? for instance, playing 18 times while I caught my six hours of sleep before another day of school where no one understood me like David Bowie did.

I?d escaped the public school system for what I thought would be the gentler environment of an all-boys private school in Dallas. But cruelty in adolescent boys proved ubiquitous. They told me I was a faggot. They knocked me to the ground, held me down, and whispered it into my ear. I wondered if it was true. I didn?t know what I was. I would sit in my room and study the album cover of the U.S. release of Bowie?s ?The Man Who Sold The World.? He looked so beautiful lounging on a chaise with his long hair and his brocade dressing gown. Was I what they said? I decided that I was different from them regardless of whom I wound up wanting to sleep with. They were mundane and ignorant. I had so much more in common with this bold, strange artist to whom I devoted so many hours.

I took up the guitar. I learned to play his songs. I began to write my own songs. I became an acolyte, soaking up Bowie?s catalog and following the splintering trails off into his influences. My identity became ever more tied up in that of my hero. He was my secret guide through this wilderness, his music my personal handbook for survival.

And then he released ?Let?s Dance.? This artist from the 1970s, whose records I?d dug out of dusty bins in second-hand shops, was suddenly wall-to-wall on the nascent MTV network. He was all over the radio. He was drifting out of overhead speakers in Safeway supermarket and Northpark Mall. I remember hiding in the bathroom at a seventh grade back-to-school mixer after Marla Cotton?s new boyfriend, a tight end on the JV squad at another school, had announced upon arrival that his whole purpose in coming to Bent Tree Country Club that night was to find me and ?kick that little faggot?s ass.? I?d called my mom and begged her to come pick me up, but there would be a half hour before she could rescue me. When Marla?s new boyfriend finally did find me, in a stall in the men?s room off the ballroom?s foyer, he cornered me. Literally. He planted his palm on my forehead and pushed the back of my head into the tiled corner, muttering in his impossibly low voice, ?You like that, you little faggot?? The chipper keyboard stabs of ?Modern Love? wafted in from the ballroom, and cut through the buzzing in my ears.

The fact that this new Bowie belonged to everyone complicated my relationship to his body of work but didn?t diminish it. ?Yeah. It?s cool,? I?d say. ?But I?m really into his older stuff.? When the Serious Moonlight Tour rolled through Dallas?s Reunion Arena, my girlfriend?s big sister got us tickets. Our seats were in the lower bowl, directly stage left. We watched the show through the rigging, looking at the band in profile. I thrilled with anticipation as each song drew to a close. I imagined him constructing the setlist, testing the audience with new album tracks and deep cuts, rewarding the audience with old favorites and the hits that currently owned the airwaves. I clearly saw what he was doing that night as a job, with logistics and strategies and responsibilities.

Toward the end of that night?s concert, during the break between the main body of the set and the encore, the band ran off stage right and Bowie slipped off stage left, descending a few steps down a short flight of stairs behind a massive column of speakers directly in front of us. I watched from 75 feet away as a crewmember handed Bowie a towel and a lit cigarette. Another member of his crew placed a sweaty highball glass on the railing next to him. My idol stood alone for a moment, a towel around the shoulders of his soft yellow suit, a cigarette dangling from his lips. He pressed the icy highball glass to his forehead. Seventeen thousand people chanted his surname, a mantra, an invocation. As the adulation built to a frenzy around him, he took a quiet moment to himself. I watched him, and, in that moment, discovered something about myself: I wanted that job.

After that, everything I did was toward that end. I wrote songs constantly, pushing through the terrible ones to get to the merely bad, knowing experience was the only way to improvement. I went to underground rock clubs and made friends with the musicians. I did my first gig at 15 and recorded my first album at 17. On that album, I covered an obscure Bowie tune called ?When I?m Five,? a song he?d written in the late 1960s, sung from the perspective of a 4-year-old boy. Despite being a seventh-generation Texan, I sang that song and all the others on that album with a hint of a British accent. I kept going. Through poverty and squalor. Past obstacles and heartbreak. I kept going. I saw my path. I followed my North Star, Bowie.

And I wound up making a life out of music. I write songs, and travel the world singing them for people. I stand on the side of the stage mopping my brow while the audience calls me back for an encore.

I?ve been lucky enough to meet and even work with many of my heroes. But I never met Bowie. I have a friend who for years encouraged me to write a letter to David Bowie in the hopes of collaborating with him. My friend could guarantee that someone in his inner circle would deliver the letter, along with a glowing recommendation, to Bowie. I wrote the letter in my head a million times, but never committed it to paper. I think I was afraid to lose him. I love what he gave me, who he is in my life. What if that changed somehow? Rejection, disappointment, who knows? A human can?t really be a North Star, can they? I couldn?t stomach the possibility of life without David Bowie.

And then I did lose him. We all did.

But I look up in the sky and I see him.

And I hear him in my head.

And I always will.

hutch

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »
thank you Tufnel.. I knew it must go on..