Author Topic: How is there not a Serial thread yet?  (Read 44363 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: How is there not a Serial thread yet?
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2019, 12:36:40 am »
Lies! 1/2 Total and 1/2 Life is the only way to go. Start my day with a bowl of total life.
Life Cereal: cure for the common breakfast.

cure: something that makes a problem go away.

assuming that you consider breakfast a problem, then you are indeed correct: offer up life cereal, and all of a sudden breakfast goes away because i'd rather eat nothing...
Its a Mad Men reference.

oh.  sorry.  i only watch non-prestige TV...
<sig>

« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2022, 07:32:07 am »
Wow, another attempt
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3643114-prosecutors-ask-court-to-throw-out-murder-conviction-of-serial-subject-adnan-syed/

It seemed there was reasonable doubt, but the podcast was produced with that intent, so feel like I don’t really know
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2022, 05:14:53 pm »
Adnan Syed walks out of courthouse after judge overturns his 1999 murder conviction (B'more Sun)

Judge Overturns Murder Conviction of Adnan Syed of ‘Serial’ (NYT)
Mr. Syed, 41, had been serving a life sentence for the 1999 murder of his high school classmate Hae Min Lee. The judge gave prosecutors 30 days to ask for a new trial or drop the case.

<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2022, 06:09:53 pm »
That poor family.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2022, 06:57:16 pm »
LVMH

« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2022, 09:04:57 pm »
Wow!
slack

« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2022, 06:29:57 am »
That poor family.
Which one?
yea, I would like to know this too
Obviously hard for Lee’s family to go through this yet again, but jez Anan has been in jail since he was 17 and is now 41, for a crime that it appears there is evidence he didn’t commit

It is worse that there was a podcast about this that became famous, but it seems the podcast was right the whole time and the prosecution ignored and buried evidence, because it didn’t fit their narrative that the had the right guy

I do feel for her family, but she is gone and nothing is going to bring her back.   the thought of spending life in prison for a crime you didn’t commit is just as horrible for his family too
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:42:35 am by Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2022, 09:23:33 am »
for a crime that it appears there is evidence he didn’t commit
I would disagree with this assessment. The prosecution not turning over evidence of other individuals they looked at is not "evidence he didn't commit."

The most likely and reasonable explanation for this young lady's death remains Syed by a wide margin. That is also not sufficient for the burden of proof in a criminal trial.
LVMH

« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2022, 09:32:22 am »
but it seems the podcast was right the whole time and the prosecution ignored and buried evidence, because it didn’t fit their narrative that the had the right guy
I would also disagree with this assessment. The podcast outed none of this. The specific things the podcast pointed out have turned out to be ass. Other people independent of the podcast discovered this stuff.
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2022, 09:42:19 am »
Agree, the 1st podcast just opened a lot of questions.  It is pretty clear now however that the main "witness" was not reliable and was fed information by the cops.  The cell phone tower evidence would no longer be admissible in court today.  No DNA evidence tying Adnan to the scene or victim.  2 other viable suspects that detectives did not delve into or tell defense attorneys about.  Guilty?  Maybe/maybe not.  Enough reasonable doubt to acquit?  Definitely.

When you have DA's office on board with overturning the conviction, it shows that there were huge errors and questions from the original investigation.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:44:52 am by Cock Van Der Palm »

« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2022, 11:24:31 am »
whoa, made it into the top row of gif options in microsoft teams today

if you look up syed there are a bunch
slack

« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2022, 11:25:55 am »
I would disagree with this assessment. The prosecution not turning over evidence of other individuals they looked at is not "evidence he didn't commit."

The most likely and reasonable explanation for this young lady's death remains Syed by a wide margin. That is also not sufficient for the burden of proof in a criminal trial.
hmm, so you are confident he was the killer, but also agree the case was so poor that he shouldn't be convicted
slack

« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2022, 11:43:45 am »

hmm, so you are confident he was the killer, but also agree the case was so poor that he shouldn't be convicted
I think putting aside the conviction is the right call because of prosecutorial misconduct and has nothing to do with whether the guy is guilty or not. We're supposed to have a legal system that sends 100 guilty  people free to avoid one innocent person in jail.

That said, the still most-plausible version of this lady's death is Syed and any alternative theory strains credulity and involves Jay just magically guessing right about tons of things. I take umbrage at people saying there's "evidence he didn't do it" or claiming he's been exonerated -- nah. This is not a case of "actual innocence" its a case of "the prosecutor fucked up and has no interest 20 years later in retrying the case."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:47:10 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2022, 11:56:47 am »
We're supposed to have a legal system that sends 100 guilty  people free to avoid one innocent person in jail.
I do agree on this sentiment

I don't know enough about the case to say otherwise, I was easily swayed by a convincing podcast for sure

I assume you've watched the Only Murders in the Building
slack

« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2022, 11:59:09 am »
I just saw the first season on an airplane going to and coming back from Europe. Have not see season 2. It's pretty good. Not great.
LVMH