Author Topic: GET RID of Echostage  (Read 11732 times)

killsaly

Re: GET RID of Echostage
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »
DAR is great sight, sound,
lol. What?  Great sound at DAR???

I think DAR has some of the worst sound that I have ever heard.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:00 pm »
^you edited that too quickly as I was going to give you a hard time for having
'the worst sound you had ever seen'
slack

medeski7

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »

I guess I'm with Sweetcell now that I think more about it.  I saw Oysterhead years back and it sounded god awful.  At the back of the room you could hardly make out some of the music.  However, I recall seeing Widespread Panic there and being really, really impressed with the sound quality.  I saw Primus there too and recall trying to compare it to the Oysterhead show.  Les was more audible all around in vocals and bass, but it still wasn't perfect.  I wonder why some bands have such a hard time with it.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 01:44:47 pm »

I guess I'm with Sweetcell now that I think more about it.  I saw Oysterhead years back and it sounded god awful.  At the back of the room you could hardly make out some of the music.  However, I recall seeing Widespread Panic there and being really, really impressed with the sound quality.  I saw Primus there too and recall trying to compare it to the Oysterhead show.  Les was more audible all around in vocals and bass, but it still wasn't perfect.  I wonder why some bands have such a hard time with it.
To be fair, you were seeing Oysterhead; how would you know if it sounded any good?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 01:47:04 pm »
I wonder why some bands have such a hard time with it.

my guess is that it comes down to the sound techs - do they have the knowledge of and experience dealing with a big boomy room.
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 01:50:42 pm »
I wonder why some bands have such a hard time with it.

my guess is that it comes down to the sound techs - do they have the knowledge of and experience dealing with a big boomy room.

Correct. Interpol's sound guy is an acquaintance and he said he really struggled with getting the room to sound good. But I thought he did fine when they performed there. He's been working with them for YEARS.

emmanuel

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 01:52:43 pm »
I need to see more shows at Echostage to make up my mind. Replacements wasn't very good but that's perhaps not only because of the venue, and so far DAR certainly is at the bottom in terms of sound. The sound at Neutral Milk Hotel was just awful from halfway back. In terms of location and parking, Echostage is much better than DAR for me. Obviously not that many 3000 capacity places are great, but certainly a few much better than Echostage and DAR come to my mind, like Terminal 5 in NYC. So I'd say get rid of both DAR and Echostage.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:56:49 pm by emmanuel »

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 02:07:37 pm »
I enjoyed the one show I went to at Echostage.  It was Sasha.  I haven't been there when it's been packed, so I can't comment there.  It's a decent venue, high ceilings, lots of dance space and a great sound system. 

echostage is better suited as a dance club than a music venue.  hence you didn't have a problem with seeing a DJ there.  the sound system was built with EDM in mind.  sightlines aren't as important.

DAR is great sight, sound, and seat wise, but they need to allow drinks in the seats.  If they don't, I'll probably continue to pass on shows there too. 

depends on the show.  some they allow drinks in the same, some they don't.

sound at DAR is very hit-or-miss.  really depends on whether the sound techs know how to work that room.  i've heard some great shows at DAR, and i've heard some of the worst there.  Eddie Izzard a few years back was unintelligible and unlisteneable if you were in the back half of the room.

This was pretty much the same discussion about seeing live bands at Nation vs DJs/Live PA shows before it closed down.

DAR is hit or miss with the sound.
3MTA3

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »

To be fair, you were seeing Oysterhead; how would you know if it sounded any good?
I was at that show in the back and it sounded awful...but Julian is right too
I did bump into Dave Grohl at that show, so there is that
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 02:25:08 pm »
I saw Belle & Sebastian in 2010 and Arcade Fire on the 'Neon Bible' tour at DAR and both times the sound was excellent, especially the B&S show. And I remember having a beer at my seat.
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 03:12:31 pm »
The Arcade Fire show did sound REALLY good. B&S both times I've seen them there have been pretty good. The first couple Pixies shows (first reunion go-around) were meh...but the Doolittle shows sounded awesome, and the recordings I have from those shows are pristine.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »
wide,spread panic tears the roof off that place whenever they played.  of course, we were all taking acid, x, and smoking all the pot in the world.  you should see the beer consumption at a widespread show.  they run out, half way through.

Here's the thing

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 04:42:37 pm »
Thankfully our long nightmare will be over the new Wharf venue opens. http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/openhouse/development/the-wharf-breaks-ground-in-dcs-southwest-waterfront.php

---including a 6,500-capacity music venue managed by the 9:30 Club?s Seth Hurwitz!
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 04:43:37 pm »
LVMH