Author Topic: two wheelin  (Read 83115 times)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: two wheelin
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2023, 09:45:16 am »
Wholeheartedly agree. Bicyclists are the worst and almost always the cause of wrecks. Cars forever!
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2023, 12:27:31 pm »
The French can’t even put deodorant on….

Come on

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2023, 04:30:55 pm »
How crazy is a century? Does marathon training have any crossover benefits? Thinking DC to the Beach on July 28th.

« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2023, 08:53:14 pm »
How crazy is a century? Does marathon training have any crossover benefits? Thinking DC to the Beach on July 28th.
a century is MUCH easier than a marathon
it's all about being ok with being in your saddle from 8 hours in one day...long days are the best and get in your saddle early

If you can do a hard 40 mile ride, you could probably do a century if it's supported and you take all day

I'd say almost zero crossover other than running makes your lungs nice and strong (IMO)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:55:05 pm by Fulfilled-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2023, 02:37:23 pm »
a century is MUCH easier than a marathon
it's all about being ok with being in your saddle from 8 hours in one day...long days are the best and get in your saddle early

If you can do a hard 40 mile ride, you could probably do a century if it's supported and you take all day

I'd say almost zero crossover other than running makes your lungs nice and strong (IMO)

i've done two or three work charity 50 milers for with minimum prep each time and it was fine - except for some soreness the next day.  biggest complaints (i.e what i wished i had prep'ed more) was:
1- back/shoulders: i wasn't used to being hunched over that long, and i have a bad habit of putting too much weight on my arms when my legs tire.  should have worked on my form.
2- leg muscle endurance.  when running, my limiting factor is cardio capacity and overall energy/exhaustion.  at the end of a long bike ride, my lungs and energy are ok but my quads are on fire and approaching the point of failure.  luckily i found it easier to pace myself on a long bike ride (no negative splits for me!), and if your century ride is supported with water stops then you'll have excuses to pull over and give your legs a rest.
3- saddle sores: if you're not a regular biker, like i wasn't, your nether regions might not enjoy many hours with that much pressure on them.  i believe that seat selection and adjustment has a lot to do with it, and i'm sure that the regular bikers here can provide advice.  in the end it comes down to prep: is your perineum used to being smooshed for hours on end (please don't answer that publicly, thanks).  again, prep in the form of riding as much as possible in advance is your best bet (butt callouses??)

mind you, i was (and assume still am) less in shape than you, Mr. Marathoner, are am heavier-set so YMMV.
<sig>

« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2023, 03:17:10 pm »
3- saddle sores:
seat position is good to focus on
You will be in that one position for 8 hours

Get high quality bike shorts

I don’t use it, but lots of distance riders swear by udder butter to prevent chapped things
slack

Yada

« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2023, 04:20:18 pm »
3- saddle sores:
seat position is good to focus on
You will be in that one position for 8 hours

Get high quality bike shorts

I don’t use it, but lots of distance riders swear by udder butter to prevent chapped things

I'm by no means a consistent biker but have gotten into it a bit over the past few years... HOWEVER, my ass fuckin' kills me. I'll wear padding, bike shorts, adjust the seat, etc... and just can't seem to find a position that is comfortable. I think I should just buy a giant padded seat.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2023, 04:27:24 pm »
one more thing: after my first long ride and subsequent butthurt, i bought a gel-filled/memory-foam-like seat.  "serious" bikers chided me for this and apparently doesn't work for everyone, but i swear it saved my ass.  if you don't want to replace your entire seat you can get a gel-filled cover that slips over your existing seat which has the added benefit of being easily removable mid-ride if it isn't working for you anymore.

edit: you beat me to it... nice.
<sig>

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2023, 04:46:14 pm »
I think I should just buy a giant padded seat.
don't do that, I think that makes it worse

One thing a lot of people aren't willing to do is to get peadal clips/shoes
and don't get the rat cage type.  The biggest benifit is you are making the same pedal movement EVERY rotation, doesn't matter how you get on the bike or where your head is, foot is always in the same position...and if that's a comfortable position, that makes all the diffrence

one suggestion is
go to a real bike shop and see if they can do a 'fitting' on your bike
what they will try to do is adjut headset, seat and post so you are in the sweet position
depending on the shop, it's free or it's $200
If you buy they bike, it's typically free

Not sure why I've had little issue with this over the years and the miles, but am thankful as not sure I could enjoy it if it was painful
I think the clips are part of that
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:48:20 pm by Fulfilled-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Yada

« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2023, 04:47:57 pm »
I think I should just buy a giant padded seat.
don't do that, I think that makes it worse

One thing a lot of people aren't willing to do is to get peadal clips/shoes
and don't get the rat cage type.  The biggest benifit is you are making the same pedal movement EVERY rotation, doesn't matter how you get on the bike or where your head is, foot is always in the same position...and if that's a comfortable position, that makes all the diffrence

one suggestion is
go to a real bike shop and see if they can do a 'fitting' on your bike
what they will try to do is adjut headset, seat and post so you are in the sweet position

Not sure why I've had little issue with this over the years and the miles, but am thankful as not sure I could enjoy it if it was painful
I think the clips are part of that

I have clip ins... I guess I could consider the proper fitting at a shop but I've always been too cheap to want to pay for that.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2023, 05:17:08 pm »
one more thing: after my first long ride and subsequent butthurt, i bought a gel . . .
Guys, the Relaxer thread is over there but this ain’t going to get him to come back.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2023, 01:35:27 pm »
Rack Spotter is down :(

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2023, 02:21:06 pm »
Rack Spotter is down :(

The Rusty Organ and flawd threads are elsewhere
T.Rex