Author Topic: two wheelin  (Read 75726 times)

Re: two wheelin
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:03 am »
was kinda hoping to see frank on his new ride on the trails this morning

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:52 am »
well, he did ride in a Fiat which is about as fast...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2015, 03:40:45 pm »
Bike etiquette question for those who trail ride regularly:

I was riding my mountain bike on a gravely trail that goes around a lake in the suburbs. There's plenty of room to pass on the left if walkers are doing as they are supposed to do and walking on the right. I passed an old women with a dog who WAS on the far right. I didn't say "Passing on the left" because she was clearly our of my way.

She proceeded to yell at me "PLEASE ALERT!" (Maybe I scared her dog or something, I dunno, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.)

Is it proper etiquette to alert each and every walker on a busy trail that you are passing them, or should you only be expected to alert those who appear to be in harm's way?

Relaxer

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2015, 03:59:57 pm »
I avoid trails for exactly this reason but if I do happen to be on one, I'm inclined to warn people each time I'm coming up on them. But then you also have to slow down and proceed cautiously and that sucks, which is why I never ride on trails.

One thing to note is that Hains Point has a 3.2 mile loop that is both flat *and* beautiful. If you're ever jonesing to get some killer, low impact cardio without having to worry about pesky pedestrians or douchebag drivers (there are both on the road with you at Hains but they're the minority and bikers have The Power), Hains is a great option.
oword

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2015, 04:10:15 pm »
I typically alert most I'm passing, I use a bell and just give a little ding as I'm approaching

slack

Relaxer

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2015, 04:25:53 pm »
I prefer to introduce myself and show them pictures of my children
oword

hutch

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2015, 09:00:15 pm »
Bike etiquette question for those who trail ride regularly:

I was riding my mountain bike on a gravely trail that goes around a lake in the suburbs. There's plenty of room to pass on the left if walkers are doing as they are supposed to do and walking on the right. I passed an old women with a dog who WAS on the far right. I didn't say "Passing on the left" because she was clearly our of my way.

She proceeded to yell at me "PLEASE ALERT!" (Maybe I scared her dog or something, I dunno, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.)

Is it proper etiquette to alert each and every walker on a busy trail that you are passing them, or should you only be expected to alert those who appear to be in harm's way?

I think the law is you have to alert but I can't stand it.. how can one take an enjoyable promenade when people are constantly whizzing by yelling "ON YOUR LEFTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »
So looking for some commuter clothing recommendations

I am looking for some good pants and shoe covers to stay dry (and a little warmer) during the wet days

what about slacks in general, I see there are a number of companies making 'biking pants' just curious what people are wearing/liking
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2015, 01:35:25 pm »
So looking for some commuter clothing recommendations

I am looking for some good pants and shoe covers to stay dry (and a little warmer) during the wet days

what about slacks in general, I see there are a number of companies making 'biking pants' just curious what people are wearing/liking

On rainy/snowy days, I wear a pair of Outdoor Research rain paints and jacket. OR makes very high-quality stuff. It's not cheap -- I think the pants and coat were around $150 each -- but I've had both for 5+ years now and am not even close to needing to replace them.

For shoewear on crappy weather days, I just wear these:

They're totally water-proof and they make me feel like a bad boy. On my pedals, I use cages rather than clips so these are a very good option.

oword

Yada

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2015, 03:21:48 pm »

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2015, 12:06:54 pm »
are you a biker, like monty python and really like being annoying....have I got a product for you

Trotify

also still can't get over that Relaxer uses those boots to ride in  :-\
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2015, 11:40:47 am »
best line from article

?This ain?t London, this ain?t Europe. The United States is built on the automobile and we need to respect that,? said Michael Green, a deacon at New Bethel Baptist Church.

Relaxer

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2015, 10:11:55 am »
This issue combines two of my biggest hot button issues: bikers rights and the weekend suburbers who treat the streets of my hood as their personal parking lot. It is unreal how people will double park on Constitution Ave, completely blocking the street. And 90% of the time, these cars have MD plates. Every single week, alleys are blocked, neighborhood residents' cars are trapped in, and if you ask someone to obey common sense parking rules, you get shouted down and called a racist intruder (which I have, repeatedly) even though I have lived here for 25 years and they moved away long ago.

Because I've lived here for so long, I do appreciate the history of the old neighbors and the people who were forced out due to gentrification. But if you look at the cars that are parked illegally and with zero consideration for the, y'know actual residents, these are not the people who were victimized.
oword

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 05:12:22 pm »
slack